bhocop / bhodemon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Phazor, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Does anyone use either of these two programs. Thoughts comments on one verses the other. Which do you like best?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

No comparison from me, I just use BHODemon.
    I have recommended it a lot of times, never learned of anyone that it didn´t work. It´s easy to use, free, small, fast and does what it´s supposed to do.
    So it gets a http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif from me.

Regards,

Pieter

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I've tested all 3: Bho Captor, Bho Cop, Bho Demon
    BHO Demon wins hands down.

4. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi MTM ;)

I can second that

Rgds

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, as regards which of the two is the better, both do detect all BHOs you may have, so there's no difference.
    in 'detection'.

It's not like an antivirus where you need a huge database, and regular updates.

BHOs are invariaby installed in the same Registry Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects, so as far as detecting them goes, it's not much of a feat.

However, I agree with everyone that BHODemon is the most informative of the two.

6. TonyKlein

As for the BHO's themselves, I've been "collecting" them for some time, and this is what I've dug up till now.

The list often comes in handy when trying to identify a BHO.

A thank you to Andrew Clover, whose site provided some of the definitions for these BHOs and to http://www.cexx.org/ , a great site about "Adware, Spyware and other unwanted "malware", and how to remove them".

Listed BHO's are tagged X for certified spyware/foistware, or other malware, L for legitimate items, O for 'open to debate' and ? for BHOs of unknown status.

It is updated on a weekly basis, usually on Saturday.

NOTE: The List has moved, and can now be viewed at the following location:

http://castlecops.com/CLSID.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2004
  7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Awesome, Tony! ;)

regards,

paul

8. TonyKlein

Thanks, Paul! :)

As I said, I'm a sucker for lists... :D

Any possibility to make this post into a sticky?

If no joy, I won't mind bumping it every time I update it, then delete the 'bump' post.

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

There is :D. Keep them coming!

regards.

paul

10. TonyKlein

Thanks Paul!. Appreciate it! :)

The list has been updated with a few items, and every entry is now tagged as either foistware, legitimate, open to debate, or unknown status, at least as far as I could determine.

Any further information anyone might have about any of them is appreciated.

And I'm always interested in trading duplicates for new ones! :D

Cheers,

11. Ghost

Ghost Guest

I notice that the DefinitiveSolutions link ( http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bholist.htm ) is no longer working.

That's bad enough - does anyone know whether development of the program is stopped dead as well? IOW, it's not going to be updated anymore?

12. Pieter_Arntz

As Tony stated the program only needs to "read" one registry entry, so there isn't much to update.
    I suppose they gave up making a list, because Tony's was longer :D
    The download page: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    is in working order.

Regards,

Pieter

13. TonyKlein

Well, the list only contained 5 or 6 entries to begin with, so it wasn't very useful anyway.

And as for "development" of the program, IMHO, there isn't anything much to 'develop'.

As Pieter already confirmed, the app detects all Browser Helper Objects, which is what counts.

14. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

He's basically stopped with it. He even offered to sell the rights to me at one point, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.
    If his download page ever disappears, I've been mirroring it for months now.
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/downloads/bhod/

15. freeatlast

freeatlast Guest

hm.. :rolleyes:I must dissagree!
    how do you re-enable disabled BHO's with BhoDemon?

I use it only as a back up to view active bho's but BhoCop is still my all time favorite! may not be informative as the other but easy to use and shows me all bho's list, enabled and disabled! also the option top create different profiles gives greater testing tools. and easy to re aneble any on the fly :)

16. Pieter_Arntz

Re-enable BHO's is done by running BHODemon.exe wich should give you a list of your BHO's, select the one you want to re-enable, hit the details button. You should see a window wich a short description of the BHO and the option to put a radio button in front of "Enabled - Allow this BHO to be loaded by your browser"
    Selecting that one should do the trick.

Regards,

Pieter

17. TonyKlein

Well, any BHO detector lists every single BHO, so there's no difference there.

They only enumerate the contents of one single registry key, so there's not much 'detecting' involved there...

I prefer BHO demon, because it gives better information about each bho.

And as for how to re-enable a bho with BHO Demon?

Well, I admit that's incredibly complicated, but why not just recheck them? :D :D

I have lingering doubts whether you've actually tried the application.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

18. freeatlast

freeatlast Guest

:rolleyes:oppss
    I think i know what happened..at the moment i'm using both Bhodemon and Bhocop so the disabled ones by Bhocop do not appear to exist in the list of Bhodemon..since they were not disabled there to begin with..Bhocop runs as a process in startup and quits, while controling the bho's. maybe ill disable and swith to the other. i still like the different profiles options though!
    Thanks for enlightening me ;)

19. freeatlast

freeatlast Guest

:Dguess what?
    you can put your linguering doubts to rest now, it worked!!!
    re enabled all bho's in Bhocop, unticked it from startup and recreated my prefered list in demon.
    Surprisingly so, i now have enabled and disabled ones listed.
    Hm..but i must confess i like bhocop's interface so much better..no need to click to view more details, all i need is listed on one line-bho, version, path and CLSID

20. freeatlast

freeatlast Guest

Well well, just run the famous hijack this and it listed my entire bho's , active and inactive alike, with a bhodemon_disabled extension at the end of the ones i disabled. Whereas when bhocop is active, hijack this shows only enabled ones, and disabled ones appear do be non existant.

Conclusion? bhodemon renames the bho's without altering any reg key, as opposed to bhocop that alters the reg key by removing disabled entries from registry, and keeping them as stored configuration keys in separate backups.

hm..not much of a brain-data process in either, but since i'm an old gashion gal i chose to revert to my favorite cop :cool:

21. TonyKlein

I've just added links to articles on most of the BHO's listed.

I think it makes the list somewhat more informative

22. Pieter_Arntz

Thnx Tony,

It's becoming quite a library :cool:
    I noticed you listed Stardownloader as Legit. It might be, but I encountered it only once and that time it was causing trouble for the user.
    Could have been a conflict (he was using DAP as well) or just a crummy programm. Your views?

Pieter

23. TonyKlein

Hi Pieter,

It may have been causing trouble for the user, but any IE plugin could, given the "right" circumstances.

Or it could of course have been due to sloppy programming.

However, as far as I know, (and some of this is admittedly third hand information), it doesn't phone home, or do anything else of an objectionable nature.

24. Pieter_Arntz

Ok Tony, thnxs for the info.
    No need going around accusing something until proven guilty :)

Regards,

Pieter

25. Ghost

Ghost Guest

My concern with the program not being updated/devved anymore referred to the fact that the information links about the various BHO's wasn't being updated - not about the program itself not being updated. (Sorry I didn't make that clearer).

Tony - Why don't you get together with the author of BHODemon, take over the program dev, then simply add all your info to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.