Offshore clicks reenabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ebob, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ebob

Ebob Registered Member

Every time I restart my computer running Windows XP 4 items become reenabled in spy ware blaster. the two most troubling are offshore clicks and xxx toolbar, this also occurs if I run IE resulting in my having to open spyware blaster and enable all protection multiple times a day. What's on my computer that ad-aware, and spybot don't find?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Are you running any other security or privacy scanning tools at all? There have been reports of some of these other tools removing a small number of SpywareBlaster's protections by mistake.

3. Ebob

Ebob Registered Member

aol spyware protection and Norton antivirus

4. LowWaterMark

A quick search shows that "Aluria's Spyware Eliminator" and the new AOL privacy add-on clear these items. Do you have either of those?

Edit:

Ah, I see you've replied before I posted. Yes, the AOL anti-spyware seems to do this. Let me see if anyone posted a fix or work-around to this.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  5. Ebob

Ebob Registered Member

From what I understand Aol's spyware program was written by alluria but the 4 disable with restarts and aols program does not automatically run

6. LowWaterMark

Well, I don't know how or when AOL's software does its thing, but this thread sounds very familar:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=33531

All I can say is that SpywareBlaster is setting it properly. Nothing in SB can force those entries to stay set if some other software is removing those protections.

7. Ebob

Ebob Registered Member

Ok I was thinking that I might have downloaded some init into my startup that was disabling these items so if it's just aluria/AOL it's OK! Thanks

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Not so often with activex protection, but quite frequently with cookies, I've found that SBlaster seems to put itself (or be put) at the bottom of the "pecking order" for handling cookies if you have more than one application that controls them.

I use Cookie Pal myself mainly because it's versatile in configuration -- I can for instance set it to accept cookies that expire within 1 or 2 or 4 days even if they're otherwise classed "always reject". Sometimes that's handy because I can see what I've picked up from where. And because I can sort them by expiration date, the ones I'll then want to delete are right at the top.

And anything I've specifically listed in CP's always-accept or always-reject categories seems to override both SB and IE6 settings for the same sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.