Boot CD Workaround-Doesn't work for me!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fun2ski2, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fun2ski2

fun2ski2 Registered Member

I have worked my way through this site looking for workarounds to make the Ture Image 7 boot disks work. I have tried burning CDs on two different burners on my computer using both the “complete” and scaled down versions and I have done the same using floppies, but no luck. Based on information on this site I also tried the “acpi=off noapic” addition to modify the Linux Kernel settings, but still not luck. The system continues to hang. Any more suggestions?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

In addition to "acpi=off noapic" in the kernel parameters, try removing the existing "quiet" option. The TrueImage program won't start up automatically this way, but you can get a better idea of what's going on with the Linux boot process.

Are there any relevant error messages?
    Does the hang always occur at the same place?
    What's the last message before the hang?
    What kind of PC / hardware do you have?

3. fun2ski2

Intel Motherboard (D845PEBT2)
    P4 2.4
    1 G memory
    2 x 120g Matrox hard drive
    1 x Sony 500 DVD burner
    1 x TEAC CD burner

When I boot to the CD, I hit F11 to enter the Linux Kernel setting screen. When the screen comes up the word “Quiet” is already on the Linux Kernel setting screen. I erase this and enter “acpi=off noapic” and hit OK. The true image splash screen appears and then what appears to happen is a whole bunch of Linux commands scroll by and then things just stop again. I apologize; I can’t remember what the last line in the screen says. Perhaps I will make a copy of the screen and post it.

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I'm not sure how you'd be able to copy the screen contents, aside from manually writing it down. What is interesting would be any line that is an error or possibly a warning and also the last couple of lines before the hang. Even more so if the last couple of lines are error messages. If it's not a full system hang, you should be able to use [Shift] + [PageUp] to view the text that has scrolled off of the screen.

I'd say the onboard SATA controller is suspect. If your hard drives are not SATA, then disable it and try again.

With your exact error message(s), we may be able to help you.

5. fun2ski2

Thanks,
    I will get you the error messages, but you got me thinking about the SATA issue.

6. jlsf2

jlsf2 Registered Member

Ok, here's my setup and problems:

Dell 400SC
    P4 2.8 (tried HyperThreading enabled and disabled)
    512Meg RAM
    HDD - tried one with SATA and one with ATA

The TrueImage recovery CD boots up fine, but always hangs at some point.

Sometimes while it is just sitting there, other times when I am browsing the network for image files. I've even had it lock up once when I had started to make a networked backup.

It always hangs in the same way: the mouse stops moving and the screen just freezes.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

7. jlsf2

jlsf2 Registered Member

Well, I got it to work with the apci=off trick.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.