ebay blockage

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by thrillkeel, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrillkeel

thrillkeel Registered Member

Not having much of a life, I spend a lot of time on ebay. After upgrading to Spywareblaster 3.2, I keep getting a very persistent pop-up that says something like 'Active X controls have ben disabled and you may not be able to view this page properly'. Although the page shows up OK, the pop-up appears about every five seconds. When I disable all of SWB 3.2 functions, this no longer shows up. Can anyone tell me what specifically to tick or untick in the SWB list of pests that will prevent this problem? Thanks in advance for your responses. Please keep in mind that I am not only pathetic, but a kind of computer illiterate.

2. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I'd like to hear what is behind this as well; the problem began a couple of days ago, but only with certain eBay "search" lists and items. I assume some
    eBay seller is using weird code... I've noted at least one bizarre custom cursor.

This happened both with SB 3.2 and the earlier version.

We get the same "security settings" message. It goes away when we disable
    "Restricted sites protection," but leave other protection enabled. However, we don't know just which of the blocked sites is causing the problem, and I don't have time to uncheck them one by one. We've written to eBay about this as well.

john s.

3. john smith

Weird. If I seach for "us stamp #8," I get the block; If I search for "us stamps #8," I don't.

Now why would such a small change in the search parameters make a difference, unless one of the links brought up in the search window are triggering it. Putting ebay in "Trusted sites" in IE doesn't seem to matter.

I'm sure there are more than two eBay users out there (there's where I bought my Cisco router), so this should be a concern.

john

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It has to be a third-party link page (Ad, image, or similar) that is not coming directly from the main ebay webservers. The site for that linked item is probably in SpywareBlaster restricted sites list.

If you can recreate this consistently, (every time it alerts the same way), then make one additional attempt after doing the following... Close your browser (all windows). Go into SpywareBlaster and hit the button/link across the top that says "Restricted Sites". Uncheck the box that says "Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer". This will remove all restricted site protections. Then close SpywareBlaster. Open your browser again and try to recreate the problem. If you can't, then you have confirmed it is indeed a restricted sites issue.

The problem then becomes trying to figure out what site in that list Ebay is using, and for what purpose. Then the question for everyone becomes "Is the site actually safe, or is it a questionable "Ad" related site of some sort; and should it be included in SpywareBlaster's protections?"

5. john smith

Thanks. This is indeed the case. Using "us stamp #8" as a search term, the blocking occurs. Removing restricted site protection removes the blocking.
    It isn't even necessary to close the browser. Simply hitting refresh, and alternating the protection on/off shows a site issue.

Ah, but what a mort of links! I have no idea how to narrow down the offender.

Meanwhile, Firefox hums along happily, with restrictied site protection enabled and no problems such as IE produces. Hmmm... if only I didn't dislike the Sun Java applets, but that's another story.

j.s.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey tk and john also,

By using John's example of an E-bay search for us stamp #8....I received the ActiveX control pop-up. This pop-up was associated with doubleclick.net

Attached Files:

7. john smith

Thanks, Bubba. By disabling the protection for that site only, the blocker doesn't occur. I suppose it's better than disabling all sites. Still, the eBay
    forum shows that quite a few people, some of whom use no spyware blockers, are suddenly getting the popup. Apparently eBay changed its search engine some days ago. Many are suggesting to them that they elimanate these ads.

john s.

8. lizardqueen

lizardqueen Registered Member

Thanks for the insite!
    I had the exact, problem and eliminating doubleclick.net from the list of restricted sites eliminated the problem. I knew the problem lay in a domain added to my list of restricted sites, but spent way too long before your reply narrowed it to doubleclick.
    Laura

9. bourha

bourha Registered Member

I have also encountered this problem. In fact, I posted the thread "Security Settings Prohibit Running ActiveX Controls" to see if anyone had the answer. I didn't know this thread dealt with the same issue. Removing "doubleclick.net" did the trick.

Thank you for the help!!!!

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your more than Welcome.

11. fireman_dude

fireman_dude Registered Member

You guys are good. I was having the same problem with the Active X error, so I disabled protection on doubleclick.net and the problem is gone. :)

12. Ok, everything works well by turning off Doubleclick. However, if Doubleclick is deemed spyware, I would prefer to keep it on my disable list. So, is there anyway disable that annoying alert window that says 'Your current security settings...blah blah blah".

I like that Doubleclick is blocked. I just don't want to see that annoying alert window every time I do a search on eBay.

OG

13. sweetspirit49

sweetspirit49 Registered Member

Thanks for the cure to an annoying problem. Disabling Doubleclick save my sanity! Have a blessed day!

14. ron2004

ron2004 Guest

Run Spybot along with Spyware blaster and you can "terminate" Doubleclick without any interaction by you.

15. Stillstuck

Stillstuck Registered Member

I had a simular experience, but somewhat more extensive.
    After updating to spywareblaster 3.2, I could no longer access the ebay web site period. (Including ebay.com, ebay.ca, ebay.de). Because a couple of days passed between updating spywareblaster, and trying to go to ebay I did not make the connection. I've been chasing this problem for over a day. Thanks to your website I'm finally back up and running. Turning off doubleclick solved the problem, or more accurately this problem.

My question to the forum, is why, ..... ebay.com wasn't specifically blocked.....and what other sites am I going to get blocked from like this. I'm considering removing spywareblaster entirely, just to prevent future problems like this.

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, since most people using SpywareBlaster were not totally blocked from Ebay, but merely had a restriction on that doubleclick.net site which caused that ActiveX warning, there has to be something else involved as for why your system couldn't get to ebay at all. Perhaps some sort of configuration on your system that is not the norm? A third-party site simply being in the IE restricted zone should not stop you from get to the main site itself.

17. kenh

kenh Registered Member

I too, have this problem ,just about every page, up pops the little message.
    Someone mentioned running spybot w/blaster to handle dbblclick, do you mean run it after, for cleaning?
    Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.