DSO Exploit - Spybot "fixes" but doesn't seem to actually fix...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by username, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. username

username Registered Member

Spybot tells me that I have a "DSO Exploit", which seems to be some exploit of MS-IE and/or Outlook. It suggests I look it at security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie . That link discusses some issues concerning active scripting and dynamically injected html code, etc. etc. witht he bottom line being to do the following:

Update - 3 Mar 2002

Since the injected <object> runs in the "My Computer" Zone changing the Internet Zone's settings didn't affect it, but changing the correct zone's settings will prevent this exploit from running.

Here is the registry information:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0]
    Change the value of "1004" (DWORD) to 3.

Many thanks to Axel Pettinger and Garland Hopkins for this workaround.

Does any one have any insight or similar experiences?

Can you please tell me whether the above is good advice and how specifically I can edit the keys if it's good advice (e.g., with regedit or regedit4??) ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Here are a couple threads on this issue. The fact that Spybot finds the problem but can't fix it, is just a bug in Spybot v1.3. You can ignore it if you are current with Windows Update patches. (In fact, the patch for this came out about 2 years ago, so if you've done Windows Updates in the last year, you are probably no longer vulnerable to the exploit regardless of the setting Spybot finds).

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32387

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=39557

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.