Firefox not protected!?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mimsy, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered Member

I just updated to the latest version of Spyware Blaster, 3.2, just a week after I updated to Firefox 0.9. Unfortunately, when I open SB to for the daily update-attempt (yes, I'm a bit paranoid, that's why I love Spyware Blaster so much), every time Firefox is marked as having protection disabled on 209 items that's all the items on the list. "What the f...?" I though thte first time that happened, and instantly enabled protection for Firefox. My problem is, it doesn't stay enabled. The next time I open SB, protection for all 209 Firefox items has been disabled again.

I really love Spyware Blaster, and wheter this problem can be solved or not, it'll stay on my computer. But if anyone can help me, I'd really, really appreciate it.

2. fugenfuzi

fugenfuzi Registered Member

Mine does the same thing, but I'm using Firefox 0.8 . What you can do is Download the New Version of Firefox 0.9.2 and install over previous Version ,and everything is fine . Still the problem presists if you are trying to use any older Vesion of Firefox ,like I am . Version 0.8
    Hope it's helpfull to you !
    I would like to have some Response from the Makers of SpywareBlaster on the discribed issue .

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I've updated Firefox to version 0.9.2 now, but so far I haven't seen any changes in SpywareBlaster's behavior.

Does anyone else have this problem?

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing this issue - if I can't reproduce it on this end I'll have some further questions for you.

Thanks for your patience. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

Ask away, all you need to... I prefer waiting for a solution that actually works, to being handed a shoddy one in an instant.

6. sfmarcopolo

sfmarcopolo Guest

Firefox not protected!

OK who is the responsible party here? Who is the designer? What company made this software. Where the heck are these people? Why won't they answer all these people like me that are all having the exact same problem?

7. VacuumDog

VacuumDog Registered Member

Having same hassle as mimsy. FF ver 0.9.2 & SB ver 3.2, both uninstalled and reinstalled twice, in different order, to be sure. Still end up with 209 items not protected.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: Firefox not protected!

If you will look at post #4 you will see that he did answer and is working on a cure for the problem. And we do appreciate your patience.

bigc

9. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I am having that behavior too JC.

update: my kid's w98se toy does not have this problem

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  10. VacuumDog

Re: Firefox not protected!

Read that and he did say he might require further info so I thought I'd let him know what I'd done.

11. bigc73542

Not a problem. ;)

12. javacool

For anyone affected by this issue...

Please make sure Firefox 0.9 is completely closed, and then start SpywareBlaster 3.2 and press the "Enable All Protection" button.

Then close-down SpywareBlaster and open up Firefox.
    Go to "Tools>Options...", click on the "Privacy" button on the left, and look in the "Cookies" area for a button named "Exceptions..." - press it.

There should now be a list of sites in that Exception list.

Then, to double-check, please close Firefox and run SpywareBlaster again - it should now show "0 items have protection disabled".

Let me know if that fixes the problem - thanks! :) (Note: This may not fix the problem, but at least we can rule out a few possible causes.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. VacuumDog

Deleted all my exceptions that were there first and now there are NO exceptions at all. Tried it with mine there first and still coming up not protected. HMMMM

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

JC, there doesn't seem to be a problem here on either windows machine anymore. There never was on my w98se clunker, but I was pretty sure it did on my w2k comp at first. (unless it was operator error).

my linux box didn't have any problems either because it wouldn't run an activeX control if you begged it ;)

15. Rabbit^^

Rabbit^^ Registered Member

I am still running Firefox 0.8 and do not wish to update until FF reaches version 1.2 or later. Have you been able to find way to fix this problem successfully in Firefox 0.8?

16. bigc73542

You might want to read this

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just cancelled Firefox protection. Then I went to FF options/cookies/exceptions and all those site from Spyware Blaster are still there in the exceptions list! So I closed FF and reopened and they are still there! I don't want to clear the entire exceptions list. So, I tried manually clearing each of the cookies that was put there by Spyware Blaster when I stupidly enabled FF protection. My hand got a cramp trying to remove those cookies.

How do I get those cookies removed from the FF exception list? I don't want all those cookies in my exception list! I had NO idea that Spyware Blaster would mess with my settings in FF like that or I would never have enabled that protection. I don't go to any of those sites that Spyware Blaster protects the cookies against and I never accept any cookies except session and those only from a handful of sites so this is all irrelevant to me and want those Spyware Blaster cookies out of the FF exceptions list!

I certainly think you should warn users that if they enable FF protection what they are actually doing is letting Spyware Blaster mess with their exceptions list in FF cookies! That was not made clear. When I need to look in my exceptions list to see if something got in there by mistake and I need to remove it, I sure don't want to have to look through all those cookies that Spyware Blaster stuck in there! It would take me forever to find what I was looking for. You really need to make very clear what happens if you enable FF protection.

If I didn't think Spyware Blaster is really needed for IE even though I never use IE, I would remove it as this really makes me mad. :(

Edited to say that I just spent a half an hour trying to remove those Spyware Blaster cookies in FF exceptions list. (This is after I cleared the protection in Spyware Blaster). THEY KEPT COMING BACK!! I would clear several and they would pop up again. I finally had to do exactly what I did not want to have to do. I had to clear the entire list! That was the only way I could get rid of the Spyware Blaster ones. Ugh! This is one yucky BUG in Spyware Blaster.

This is on FF 0.9 and XP Pro Sp1a.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  18. javacool

When canceling the protection, did you have Firefox closed? If not, it would have loaded the exception list when it started, and would have rewritten it when you went to look at it.

Best regards,

-Javacool

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had FF open when I went to Spyware Blaster and cancelled FF protection. I did not realize that I had to have FF closed BEFORE cancelling protection in Spyware Blaster. Why did Spware Blaster tell me that protection was cancelled if it really wasn't?

There is NOTHING in your help file about disabling protection for FF/Mozilla. Why? How would I be supposed to know that I had to close FF first before I disabled protection in Spyware Blaster? Plus, why did Spyware Blaster say that FF was no longer protected but it still was? After I saw those cookies coming back in FF exceptions list, I closed FF then and I even rebooted and then opened FF again and those cookies were still there even though when I opened Spyware Blaster it told me there was no protection now for FF.

Anyhow, it is ok after I cleared the entire exclusion list in FF.

I sure wish you had gone further with the Spyware Blaster Lite as I loved that! I don't have any Spyware Blaster now on my older W98SE box as this one is too much for that box.

20. VacuumDog

Just updated my ME computer and everything works fine?? Apart from the OS everything is the same (software etc.) Hope this offers some help.

D4

21. VacuumDog

BTW forgot to mention that the os I've been having the hassle with is XP home, fully updated, with IE as the default browser.

D4 *puppy*

22. blake60

blake60 Registered Member

I installed SB 3.2 and it's working great with Fire Fox 0.9.Did you uninstall SB 3.1 before installing 3.2?

23. VacuumDog

Yep, followed the same procedure on both computers. However I notice that my blocked images in FF pretty well matches the FF/Mozilla protection 209 items in SpywareBlaster.
    Seems to have loaded into the blocked images part of FF as I have not put anything in there myself??

D4

24. VacuumDog

HOORAY!!!!! Fixed it. Open Firefox>Tools>Options>Web Features then permissions on Load Images. Remove All. Close FF then run Spyware Blaster and enable all protection. PROBLEM SOLVED......

Hope this helps

D4 *puppy*

25. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered Member

Okay... just tried the method suggested in post #12, with no changes at all. There were still 209 unprotected items in the Mozilla/Firefox list in SpywareBlaster. So now I'm going to try the magic image-trick VaccumDog claims works so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.