Norman Firewall- comments puhleeze!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have searched Wilders & elsewhere, but cannot find any review comments concerning the Norman Firewall.

If anyone has any comments about this FW {or knows of a site that does} I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

If this request for info bears no fruit, I might just decide to give it a trial myself {shudder/shake/tremble}. :eek:

If I do venture to give the Norman FW a trial, please advise me {oh honorable experts} -- must I uninstall my present FW before testing Norman's? Or put it this way -- what might happen if I merely disabled my present FW, & did NOT uninstall it, before trialing Norman?

grace & peace to all.... bellgamin

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't know how well the norman firewall works but at $60.00 US it is a little pricey. Having two firewalls on your computer is not a good idea. They don't play well together

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Bill, I tried the recent trial versions of both Norman Virus Control and the Personal Firewall about a couple of months ago on one of my computers here.

The Personal Firewall was very stable and ran very light with a small footprint. I achieved 'stealth' on a couple of sites I tested it on and overall it appeared to be a competent firewall. Easy to use GUI, very similar setup to the AV program.

Did not do so bad with some of the leak tests either;

http://www.pcflank.com/art41c.htm

However, I thought it was nothing special and as bigc says the price is high, and I am very happy with my present firewall so Norman was not a temptation.

It would take time to set it up properly but it comes with a good help file.

If you want to test it I would HIGHLY recommend to uninstall your present firewall, as driver conflicts between different firewalls are common, and disabling one firewall is not sufficient to avoid posible conflicts.

The other key factor in testing firewalls is to make sure you try and uninstall all of the previous firewall before installing another one. During my firewall testing days, I used Total Uninstall and WinRescue to remove any 'debris' before installing another firewall.

I am not sure which firewall you are using at the present time, but if it is Zone Alarm I will say a little prayer for a successful uninstall :D

4. bellgamin

Thanks BC. I finally found someone who actually used it!!!

By the way, I snapped your picture as you peered in my window. Have a look.

I found a place where I can buy Norman FW for 20% off. It's still pricey, but 20% off is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. So I shall give it a trial for a while. {I now use Outpost free. The PRO version is MUCH too heavy for my setup.}

When ousting a FW or AV, I use (1) Add/Remove, then (2) Total Uninstall, then (3) RegSeeker, then (devout prayer. :)

Attached Files:

5. richter

richter Registered Member

Would it be possible if you could post a screenshot or two of the firewall, if not a problem? I don't see any screenshots on their site and I'm courious to see how it looks like.

6. Blackcat

After your trial, Bill, report back with your views on NF. It will be of interest to see whether it runs smoothly and without slowdown on your computer.

7. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hey ...

I've read somewhere, some time ago, that it makes and runs in real-time some kind of "virtual computer" (not as "virtual folder" or something, it is supposed to be like whole system - Windows, devices' routines, whole new identical "parallel system"), and tests/keeps viruses/worms, etc. there, so there is no possibility your PC would get infected.

Again, I only read so, though in respectable magazine, so there must be some truth about all that.

8. loginbroke

loginbroke Guest

I have always used Norman,and noone could ever persuade me to use anything other than Norman.

You refer to the revolutionary Sandbox Technology.This is a virtual environment in which Norman runs files to discern whether they could be malicious/harmful.

It is a simulated,controlled means of testing.

Norman Internet Control is the package which includes the firewall.It offers a very exacting degree of protection.

I almost don't want too many people to learn of it's brilliance,for fear of attracting unwanted attention from the writers of malware.

I don't imagine I'll ever be reduced to a quivering heap like most NAV users,though.

9. Blackcat

Good to hear that NIC works well on your computer and you are happy with the program.

But at $97 for a 1 year-license it will not be attracting too much attention from would be trialists and at that price most people will be reduced to quivering heaps (the 3 year license is a better option at $56/annum).

Norman need to consider that the high price of their products will deter home users and that there are better competing products at lower prices.

For example, personally I prefer individual programs and on one of my computers here I have Command AV and LookNStop as my AV/Firewall combination. This duo I think is better than NIC and all for an initial outlay of $39!!!!!

10. bellgamin

I downloaded & installed Norman FW {NFW}. Latest version is 1.4. DL was 5.7MB. Installed size 9.4MB. Ram used while running 5.1MB. On WinME, Norman uses 3% less system resources than Outpost free {84% free with OP, 87% free with Norman -- with all my other *usuals* running}.

Install was fast & smooth. NFW wants a reboot after install. On reboot, a wizard pops up to do initial settings, including having you set a password.

The wiz detects your default browser & email client, & asks if they are *the ones*. It does several more basic settings, then it's done -- for the moment.

NFW handles a lot of things besides usual FW stuff, such as active content, ads, pop-ups, nasty-nasty {that is -- parental control, if desired} all of which is super super easy to configure. Help file is written by geniuses for use by doofuses {like me}.

Once I started using applications & the net, NFW asked questions about each such instance, give optional answers for each question. Based on my answers, NFW set rules, then asked if each such rule was okay. I felt like I really knew what was going on. This is a rule-based FW, but with a really slick & helpful wiz.

PC Flank gave NFW good marks, but a hair behind Look'n'Stop and Outpost Pro. LnS lacks some of the extras I want, plus I find it intimidating to use. OP Pro is much too heavy for my old box.

I hate paying list price, mainly because of my religious beliefs {I belong to the First Church of Latter Day Skinflints}. Ergo, I searched the net for a discount {NFW costs $60 from the Norman website}. Success! I found a reseller that gives a 20% discount.

I'm not good at this sort of stuff -- evaluating security software I mean. I am especially unqualified to discuss a rule-based FW. That's why I am devoutly hopeful that Blackcat or CrazyM or the like will trial this FW one of these days soon.

Someone asked for a screenshot. I did the main screen. There are several others. If someone wants to see some of them, let me know & I shall try to accomodate. All I can say is -- the GUI is just excellent, & VERY intuitive to use.

Grace & peace to all... bellgamin

Attached Files:

• NFW.gif
      NFW.gif
      File size:
      14.9 KB
      Views:
  11. bellgamin

Oh yeah, I think some of you might be interested in this screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin,

What is the meaning of this firewall rule:

Attached Files:

• nfw.gif
      nfw.gif
      File size:
      2.6 KB
      Views:
  13. bellgamin

You had to ask, didn't you? :oops:

The deep meaning of this rule is that I gave some REALLY stupid answers to a couple of NFW's questions. I have since deleted this rule & sent it into outer darkness.

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking at Norman Internet Control package for friends who are completely new to firewalls. They have the Netgear DG834 router - Windows XP SP2 - Norman AV was pre-installed due for renewal on Monday.

I feel they need a software firewall and was pleased to find this post with the actual screenshots as Norman's site itself is very vague with details. The AV is bland but they know how to use it & are comfortable with it. They are afraid of the prospect of a firewall but I would answer the initial questions when setting up.

Hopefully bellgamin will notice this and be able to let me know if he is still using this firewall and if it would be more suitable to very new computer users without scaring them too much but still offering the protection needed.
    Thanks in advance - Norman details are very hard to find and their support is very much lacking :(

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

I used to have Norman suite, but I could never figure out the firewall. How it works. It has no forum as far as I know. It's documentation sucked IMO.
    Does it still have no good traffic log?

I have uninstalled the firewall part and also disabled the antiviruses on-access parts, using it only as a second hand scanner.
    Depending on Avast free for on access and as my main virus scanner.
    Norman does not update it's virus database anymore faster than Avast. Twice a week or so.

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Oh, dear I thought this was going to be easy as I was just about to call with my friend and let him know we will purchase the suite for his own 'ease of use' but now o_O I know the AV part doesn't update as regulary as some but I reckon the 'sandbox' technology is used before the updates are issued. Not always the best way but his computer really could not take a heavy AV.

I would love to install NOD32 for them but as I am only learning with the trial version I would prefer to know a lot more before installing this to complete learners when they know how to operate Norman & yes he is very expensive on sub. renewal :( I thought one more year with the AV and they would be more at ease with their computer and I would know for sure they could cope with NOD.

I know what you mean about a forum - non existant and even the FAQ's on the website are very vague. I telephoned a UK re-seller but they hardly knew about the firewall at all :eek: e-mail Norman's support - days without any answers at all which is disappointing.

Setting this aside if the firewall installed and worked with the ease bellgamin experienced this would still attract me to installing it for my friend as I know some of the more complicated ones would scare them a little.

I run Outpost Pro myself but wonder if this would be too 'heavy' for a computer with a sempron processor and shared RAM with their GC o_O

It is very hard to cope with the fact they still do not realise the importance of a firewall as they have the router plus SP2 - we all know that a firewall can run without any major issues but install on someone elses computer - if there is a crash guess who is to blame?

I need to get this sorted in my mind today as their sub for the AV part is due on Monday. I thought my mind was clear last night to install the Internet Control but now I am wondering if this is a good idea or not o_O I am still very much indicating they need a software firewall but now I do not no if NIC is the best idea or not :(

17. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

My criticism went mainly for a firewall part.
    Norman is an ok antivirus program I think.

Norman suite came on my computer when I bought it, a 3 year free licence.

I too would be really interested on bellgamins experiences with the firewall.
    Let's see if he writes a reply or someone else for that matter.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if it really runs that lite i would be very interested, using outpost also right now but it is very resource heavy as is kerio but op is a little better. anyone here running norman's

19. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just read some downpoints on the AV part now (does not uninstall completely being one of them) which has me wondering how effective the firewall is o_O It was also mentioned that although not shown on the website there is a way to renew the AV def. sub only - the website shows you have to purchase the full version for another year o_O I just wonder is it all due to the fact that Norman was main coperative and is finding it difficult in the home user environment?

I thought I had worked out the best for my friend but now I am back to square one as there really is not enough info on Norman or people who actually use the software o_O

20. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

In Finland where I live Norman has made a contract with Fujitsu-Siemens computers. So it comes included in a packet when you buy it.

I had no problems uninstalling Norman though. Did it from the Windows Control Panel. I have no idea if you can uninstall though all the antivirus components and leaving just FW. As I said I never liked the fw or understood it.
    Not at all like Sygate free I have been running ever since, over 2 years.

After I had uninstalled Norman and installed Avast, I thought ..... hmmm, I still have over a years licence, and want it back as an on demand scanner only.
    Did install it back, but if I remember correctly the whole suite install was the only option, so I had to remove FW and on-access antivirus scanner.
    5 months ago Norman still did not have an email scanner.

You told your friends have XP SP2 and a router, so they are safe from inbound attacks? Would not worry so much about their firewall at this point.
    SP2 firewall is as dummy as it can get and IMO personal firewalls need a user knowledgeable action.

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for you reply, it looks like Norman has a contract UK side also as they have the same computer as you have ;)
    I also had asked if the firewall only could be installed from NIC as I was going to keep their NAV as it was but this was confrimed that theya re both very much in the package and I would not be bale to install the firewall part only.

The NIC package is certainly not attractive now when others cannot understand it, I know for sure they would have big problems. I still feel the need to install another software firewall as there are things running which I think we need to know where they are going and why. I have a router but also run Outpost Pro even though I 'thought' I would not install another firewall on my notebook I did not feel happy at all about not knowing.

I appreciate the fact that they are so new to computing it would add extra complications but when I first got my computer I had to learn as I went along. It is one big dilemma as part of me says they are 'safe' but I do not feel safe even thinking about leaving them not knowing about their outbound traffic :'(

I am now re-considering the AV part of Norman although v 5.8 is now running and I think v6 is on the horizon. Thanks for letting me know you successfully uninstalled (good news) I may consider one of the free AV's or AVG Pro which I do know. If only I had been using NOD longer then I would go for NOD as it is light for their PC. I am only with the trial version on my notebook - like it very much but need to be more confident before I could fully recommend to my friends o_O

22. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

They have a 3 year licence for Norman, that needs just registering?
    It is an option to consider cause it is free with the new computer.
    I have nothing bad to say about Normans AV, though it is not updating as frequently than most other commercial AVs.
    Well, no email scanner and very basic but usable interface.

23. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Uninstall the Norman packet and get this instead of that.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70679

This is really free and you can get the full Pro version of Ad-Aware within.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Unfortunately over here it was only 3mths :( license due to expire 21.3.05 they have been sent a discount voucher with 20% off which really doesn't mean too much as with sales tax added it is back to the real price. Only 3mths to try and then they have to buy another year.

25. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

Then forget it. If I remember correctly it was working 3 months, and then you needed to register, tell some code of your computer etc, and then it was for 3 years. If not, there are better solutions.

I am not in the need for Antivirus/Firewall/antispyware.
    I am familiar with F-Secure a few years back and it is a good company.

For me Avast/Sygate/my personal antispyware programs are working just fine. I would consider deeply when installing some package from a commercial vendor with knowing all the restrictions it would do to my accumulated knowledge. And also there is no such thing as a "free lunch" meaning with that alias F-Secure suite?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.