Mozilla 1.7 / firefox not detected

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by simpof, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simpof

simpof Registered Member

Hi
    I have install Mozilla 1.7 and SB don't detect the browser. In mozilla/firefox protection it say that Mozilla/firefox is not detected. I have uninstall SB and reinstall it, with the same result.
    Is that message only for firefox or dos it included Mozilla 1.7.
    Thanks for your help

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

3. simpof

simpof Registered Member

thanks for the answer
    I read info in the link. So, do I have to understand that all mozilla product, Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox, are not detected by SB and that bug will be fixed in the next update (version 3.2). Is there a «manual way» to get SB to detected Mozilla?

4. simpof

simpof Registered Member

Another question
    When you go in the folder Protection/status there 3 topics:
    - I.Explorer
    - Resticted area
    - mozilla / firefox
    Only the two first are enable. Is «restrited area» good only for Internet explorer?
    Is there some kind of protection when I use Mozilla or nothing at all?

5. User Name

User Name Guest

Just installed SpywareBlaster 3.2 and it wouldn't recognize Mozilla 1.7 although previous version of SpywareBlaster did....

6. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

Add me to the list. I installed Spywareblaster 3.2 and it will not recognize Firefox 0.8. 3.1 worked just fine.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster 3.1 recognised Firefox 0.8, but not 0.9 because that version of Firefox moved stuff around. So, Javacool had to decide what to support with his new version of SpywareBlaster. Since 0.9 of Firefox is newer and a recommended update over there, it made sense to support 0.9 and forward versions. 0.8 is no longer recognised by SpywareBlaster.

8. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

Thank you ! :D

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Also, Firefox 0.9.2 (just released) fixes some important security issues that were present in Firefox 0.8 and previous releases.

So I'd highly recommend upgrading to the latest Firefox.

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. ghost_13

ghost_13 Registered Member

well i wish someone had mentioned this before i uninstalled v3.1, found that spywareblaster 3.2 no longer recognized my version of firefox &had to reinstall 3.1 ... because i expect it's missing all the updates i applied to 3.1 now, &i'm not as protected as i was up until yesterday (when i uninstalled 3.1 &installed v.3.2) ...*unimpressed*

i expect your answer is to just upgrade my version of firefox.. well, that's easier said than done as you have to uninstall it completely first to upgrade &then try to keep your old 'profile', any tweaks you might have made ..&then try to make sure that you don't lose all of your extensions (the ones that are still compatible with the new version of firefox) or bookmarks. some of the extensions i have now &like don't work with the current version of firefox, btw.

...in other words, it's a royal pain in the ass to upgrade firefox.

so, i understand your situation where you had to make a decision which version to support.. but i think we should have been warned that the new version of spywareblaster is no longer compatible with older versions of firefox (of which there is yet another version, 0.9.2, due to a security issue.. and no doubt there will be yet another version soon enough).

11. ghost_13

there is also a simple, small .xpi download available from mozilla.org to fix the security issue 0.9.2 was released to fix. it isn't strictly necessary to upgrade just because of that.

PLEASE READ HERE: http://www.mozilla.org/security/shell.html

12. RipRap

RipRap Guest

I instaleld SB 3.2 OVER 31. and have not had any problems. Should I now uninstall 3.2 and then re-install it, so as to follow the direction? I just noticed I screwed up and did not follow the install instructions.. Oooops

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What I want to know is how do you tell if 3.2 is recognizing BOTH Firefox and Mozilla? Yes, FF 0.9 moved the profile folder to the Mozilla directory away from its earlier location in the Phoenix directory and there is only one registry.dat file now shared. Even so, I still have 2 sets of profiles: one for FF and one for Mozilla. I have Mozilla 1.6 so I assume that the protection is only for Firefox yet Spyware Blaster 3.2 says BOTH Mozilla and Firefox are protected. How can this be if there is no protection for Mozilla before version 1.7?

14. ghost_13

v. 3.2 only protects mozilla firefox 0.9 and above, i believe.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I understand that it protects Firefox 0.9 and above and Mozilla 1.7 and above. What I want to know is why does mine say it is protecting Mozilla and Firefox when I don't think that is the case because my Mozilla is 1.6.

In other words, why is the design not better? Why aren't Mozilla and Firefox separated on the GUI? Why lump them together? They are not the same and you should not have to figure out that when it says both are protected that is not the case if either FF or Mozilla are earlier versions.

If they were separated then I could see in a glance that my Firefox is protected but my Mozilla is not. That is how the GUI should be. Not everyone will have or want to have the latest versions of both FF and Mozilla so I think the GUI design could have been better in regard to the protection for these browsers. That is all I am saying. Spyware Blaster is still a great application that no one should be without but the GUI, in regard to FF and Mozilla, is somewhat confusing.

16. Ferdinand Feghoot

Ferdinand Feghoot Registered Member

I have reinstalled Mozilla 1.7 and 3.2 is still not recognizing it.
    Help plz

17. anti-snoop

anti-snoop Guest

Boy, a lot of people complaining here about an absolutely FREE program. I hope you are making donations to assist JC in his continuing efforts. I think JC should implement a $20. charge to listen to complaints.

18. ray32

ray32 Registered Member

not complaining - just looking for an answer to make it work.

19. HMI

HMI Guest

I also can't get SB 3.2 to recognize Mozilla 1.7. Mozilla was installed in the default directory and profiles are in the default profile directory - Win2K - Firefox not installed - just Mozilla 1.7. Anyone have any ideas to get protection enabled for Mozilla 1.7? Worked with 3.1, not with 3.2. Thank you.

20. javacool

Hi,

Can you check in your profile directory (it should be under that "Profiles" folder in another folder with a weird name) for the existence of a hostperm.1 file?

If yes, can you post how large it is and the first couple of items that appear in it?

Also, please search for a registry.dat file (it should be in that Application Data\Mozilla directory) and post its size.

Thanks,

-Javacool

21. HMI

HMI Guest

Can you check in your profile directory (it should be under that "Profiles" folder in another folder with a weird name) for the existence of a hostperm.1 file?

Hostperm.1 exists - size is 75 bytes (4K on disk) - complete file is as follows:

# HTTP Permission File
    # This is a generated file! Do not edit.

Registry.dat is 320K (324K on disk).

Hope this helps - thanks for the prompt reply.

22. javacool

Ah - could you please send that registry.dat file to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com ? I'd like to take a look and see exactly what is making it so large.

Also, have you ever used Netscape, especially the 7.x versions?

Thanks,

-Javacool

23. pconley

pconley Registered Member

I'm having the same problem - I just downloaded Spywareblaster tonight & also Mozilla 1.7 (I previously had 1.6). Spywareblaster isn't detecting Mozilla. I also checked & I don't have the file you mentioned (hostperm.1) anywhere on my computer.

Please advise if there's a way to get Spywareblaster to see that I do have Mozilla.

Thanks!

24. RipRap

RipRap Registered Member

I was just wondering if someone can answer this please.

Thnak you.

25. ray32

ray32 Registered Member

hi - i have those same files - in fact, my registry.dat file is huge - almost
    3MB - running moziila 1.8a - 3.1 worked fine with it - 3.2 doesn't see it (or moz 1.7). hope you get it figger'd out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.