Now, Let's talk some Golf!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

How about that Retief Goosen? Very nice use of the putter today. Although I have to admit I was pulling for Phil. :-* :-* :-*

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I was pulling for Mickelson too. Those scores were out of sight! Only two people under par.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes. Lots of wind and fast greens. Didn't look like a typical US course. Reminded me of courses you might see in the British Open.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Tiger didn't like it. Not like him to complain.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

He hasn't been playing too well, lately. I saw the give and take between him and his previous coach. Getting a little sensitive as of late. I'm just glad Phil is finally playing better.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hard to believe Mickelson is right handed. He learned to play from his dad and his dad's
    movements

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Nerves of steel & the guts of a burglar. Made putts from everywhere but the clubhouse....something like 30 one-putts in 4 rounds played on greens that make putting on one's concrete driveway seem slow.

I've always pulled for Lefty because over the years when he was being badgered by the press about disappointments & "chokes", he was invariably affable and accommodating - no easy task when one has just seen another tournament slip away.

I think the game of golf & all golf fans were the big winners. Like Palmer needed Nickalus and Ali needed Frazier, Tiger has needed to have someone take him on. They have. Game on!

Last add: how is it that the golf gods, who are ever vigilant about rules and would never allow a player to improve his lie, suddenly decided it was OK to water that nightmarish 7th green between each group of players that came through? Sounds like "improvement" to me.... o_O

8. Dazed_and_Confused

I missed that. What happened? I only saw the back nine.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. Uh, let's see. Humm. Let me get back to you on that.:D

10. Dazed_and_Confused

I just read a news story. Apparently they watered the green for only a select number of golfers? Is that what your talking about? Doesn't sound fair to me.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I think what it boils down to is they didn't prepare the course for the tournament very well. Although to me, fair for one should be fair for all.

12. ssgtmax

If you saw the 7th green @ all during the tournament (a 183-yd hole designed by Satan), you probably saw the TV diagrams they showed. It sloped away from the cup in every maddening direction possible. The green was rapidly turning to a "brown" with each passing hour and was the consistency of the carpet on a miniature golf course. Something on the order of just 20-30% of the golfers were able to land their tee shot on it & keep it there. That's just unheard of for professional golfers.

In a desperate attempt literally to save the green from being killed completely and to turn the hole into something even close to a fair test of golf skill, tournament officials allowed the greenskeepers to water it with hoses after each group had putted out. Other than normal maintenance/mowing, it's almost heresy to tamper with a course once competition has begun, especially during a round and on a U.S. Open Course. The USGA runs that tournament, and they are absolute sticklers about rules and tradition. They were faced with an almost untenable choice in this case.

I'm reminded that Craig Stadler once lost a San Diego Open because he knelt on a towel (trying to keep his slacks from getting soaked) to hit a ball from beneath a small tree. A TV viewer called in to say that his action constituted "improving his stance" - and the penalty stroke(s) assessed cost him the tournament. It just seemed to me that his actions seemed less an "improvement" than watering a green during mid-round to slow the ball down.

But, hey, golf was invented by drunken Scotsmen 500 years ago, and some things about it (including my swing) are just unexplainable! :eek: :eek:

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I thought a Golf course was supposed to brown. Most of 'em are down here! :D

And what ever you do, don't make a divot. You will break your arm.

On a lot of courses down here, you are allowed to make a little grass tee in the fairway so you can at least hit the ball without topping it.

14. ssgtmax

Allowed?....or rules according to ronjor?:D :D

BTW, I think a pretty fair country golfer by the name of Lee Trevino refined his game in those Texas winds. Used to win bets by playing with a taped Dr Pepper bottle. He always said, "There's no pressure putting for a $100,000 of someone else's money. Pressure is putting to win/lose a $20 bet....when ya don't HAVE 20 bucks!" :eek: :eek:

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Unwritten rule at this particular course. You can play a better game on a runway! :D

Lee Trevino was the quickest golfer I have ever seen. He was great to watch.

16. Dazed_and_Confused

Hey Ronjor. The courses you refer to must be out in West TX. If I remember correctly, they don't even use grass. The courses are 1 large sand trap! LOL.

Now in the Woodlands they have better courses.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This was a local course down by Corpus. The ground was "gumbo". Mushy when wet and hard as concrete when dry.

The Pro courses down here are well taken care of. The Woodlands is VERY nice.

18. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes, I seem to remember seeing something in the paper aobut that course in the valley (see pic). Is that you sizing your next shot? :D

Attached Files:

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That couldn't be the right course, I can see a hill. :D

20. Dazed_and_Confused

Hill? I thought that was the green? :D

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

D&C I believe you are right!! The good thing about this course is there are no trees or water hazards to ruin an otherwise good golf game! :D

22. Dazed_and_Confused

Yeah. But my biggest problem has always been the out-of-bounds markers. I don't see any in the above pic. At a course like that, I might be able to break 100!

23. Dazed_and_Confused

Did I tell you about the time my cart got stuck? Yet another advantage of your beautiful course. :D

Attached Files:

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Well D&C, you know the courses are so long down here that the cart battery goes dead before you can finish eighteen holes!

25. Dazed_and_Confused

Good point. I usually don't wind up taking the shortest path down the course. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• path.JPG
      path.JPG
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.