unexpected error in spyware blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by shortstuff, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shortstuff

shortstuff Registered Member

Hello. I just started having this problem with spyware blaster 3.1. When I try to run it, the window opens, quickly closes, and a dialog appears with the message unexpected error. Ok button. No details button, no code, nothing. I don't have any spyware in my computer as far as I know, because I ran ad aware 6.181 with the latest reference file, and I haven't downloaded anything recently. What could be causing this error. Just for kicks to see what would happen, I opened up the auto-update configuration program. I don't have an account, but as far as I know, the program would run anyway. It errored too, saying "runtime error 50003 unexpected error." I've already tried repairing IE, but no go. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. shortstuff

Well, I reinstalled the VB runtime libraries, service pack 5, that I got from the microsoft download area, and now spyware blaster is perring like a kitten. I guess we'll see how long things stay perring.

4. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  5. shortstuff

But I do not have cool web search. I don't think that's what's causing the problem here.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ignore the previous post shortstuff, that person made several posts identical to that today, and in your case did not understand that you had a totally different problem, which in fact appears to be resolved already.

So you are right. You don't have cool web search, and you don't need that/those tools.

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi,

Just to help clarify what the "CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval" (delcwssk.zip) is used for. If the CWShredder tool is unable to run due to a variant of the CoolWebSearch infection, then running the "miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe" file (on the advice of an Expert) will remove that variant of CWS so the CWShredder tool will be able to run properly.

It does not clean out ALL variants of the CoolWebSearch trojan. If anyone thinks they may be infected with a variant of CWS, then the correct, and safest procedure would be to follow the steps and instructions In This Link, and download Hijackthis, post a log over in the "adware, spyware, & hijack cleaning forum" where an Expert can determine what variant of CWS you have, and then advise with instructions on running the CWShredder tool to remove the infection.

Since this type of infection seems to change rapidly, then the safest method for removal is with the guidance of an Expert so you are sure to get all the infection and not leave bits of it behind just to end up reinfected again.

Hope that helps to clear it up a bit.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.