Can someone please test Skype with NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gate1975mlm, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

I don't mean to bother people here but could somone be a pal and see if Skype is also running slow on your PC when using NOD32? Thanks It takes like 6-8 sec to open. Where as before it would take maybe 1 sec! I can't get over how little system resources NOD32 uses. If I could just get Skype to open faster again I would be all set. This is what I find kind of funny. Because NOD32 uses very little resources it is kind of strange that it would make some software run slow. Maybe like someone here said the newer version will thinks this issue.

2. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

I'll give it a try.
    Maybe you could try to put Skype in teh AMON exlusion list.
    Cheers
    Itsme

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I know nothing about Skype other than what I read on their website. I did notice it uses p2p. So I looked around for p2p.

After looking at the info, it may be possible NOD pays extra close attention to p2p. That is just a guess on my part.

If after others try Skype while using NOD notice no slowdown, I would think your conflict lies elsewhere.

support @nod32.com may be able to give you a definitive answer.

Viruses, Worms, Trojans, and Spyware

Viruses, Worms and Trojans are regularly distributed using P2P applications.
    Some recent viruses that have been spread using P2P networks include Swen, Fizzer, Lirva, and even Mydoom. The use of P2P applications aids in the rapid spread of these viruses.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/helpcentral/safecomputing/secure/p2p.php

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I tested the latest beta of Skype with the latest beta of NOD32 and measured the time it took to load Skype - 7 sec. with AMON running, 5 sec. with heuristics disabled and 3 sec. with AMON turned off. Turning off/on IMON did not have any effect on the load time. Is it actually so big difference considering that the exe file is 8,5 MB large?

Later test shown that it took only 4 sec. for Skype to load with heuristics in AMON enabled. I will need to play with it a bit more...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  5. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Newest Beta o_O?

Ruben

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Don't worry...you are not missing getting the beta. Marcos means "in house" latest beta. The beta has NOT yet been released for public use. Some of us have one or another versions of the "in house" betas because we had issues with the release version of NOD32 and Eset tech support sent us one of the "in house" beta versions to see if it fixed our problems. The beta I was sent does have tbe new HTTP IMON scanner but it doesn't have the added abilities to AMON which is what I am most interested in. So, I too am awaiting the release of the official beta.

7. gate1975mlm

Its not just the slow opening. When I have Skype running other things start to run slower also. Like IE or my mouse wil sometimes freeze. All I am saying is what is making this happen?

8. gate1975mlm

Ok tech support sent me a link to download the latest beta.

Ok here is what I found out. I installed the lastest Beta that you sent me. And on the default settings Skype opens really slow. And if I try to move my mouse when opening Skype the mouse would freeze. It seems to make my hole system run slower when running Skype and NOD32 on Default settings. So what I did was add Skype to the Exclusion List in AMON and IMON which I could not do before in older versions. And guess what Skype now runs Great without slowing down my PC! Its just strange why this only happend with Skype. Do you know what makes this happen? And also is it safe to add Skype to the Exclusion list? I don't see how I could get a Virus from Skype anyway. I have tried lots of other AntiVirus Software and NOD32 is the best! The only problem that I was having seems to be resolved! Maybe someday you can find out why NOD32 makes Skype run slow.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If someone else experiences the same problem, please let us know. At least I hardly noticed any slowdown with the beta of Skype running in tandem with the in-house NOD32 beta.

10. sard

sard Registered Member

With the latest version of Skype .98 I have to exclude it from AMON or NOD32 causes my PC to slowdown if I have a call ongoing and am playing UT2004 at the same time for instance. 0.96 version of Skype didn't cause this problem so it might be something that's changed at their end recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.