HDM14 install fails

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Dave313, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Dave313

Dave313 Registered Member

I'm attempting to install HDM14 64-bit. HDM12 is present on this PC. The HDM14 install says it will upgrade HDM12. After a lot of the install progresses, it stops on the error message:

Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Users\...Paragon-233-PEE_WinInstallSNU_10.1.19.16240_000.msi

That named file appears to be an HDM12 installation file. It is the same name as the HDM12 install file I used last year to install HDM12 on this PC. I still have that file so I copied it to the same download folder from which I am attempting to install HDM14

I ran install again but it still stops and fails on that exact same error.

Is there any fix for this failure?

2. CessPitts

CessPitts Registered Member

There is a Paragon knowledge base entry for this that says you need to uninstall the previous version manually first, and that worked for me.

3. Dave313

Dave313 Registered Member

Thanks Steve-- that did work on my PC too.

4. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I experienced the same as Dave313 and CessPitts did. The HDM 14 installer told it would upgrade the 12 version. But alas, error 1316. I redownloaded the setup file, no change. I installed the Demo version of HDM 14, success, dit not “upgrade”. Then I did like the two other fellows: I uninstalled HDM 14 with BMB. Ver 14 successfully installed, but BMB would not install (“interrupted before---”) before I had run HDM once. So far I have not succeeded to install RMB, the install message is “The wizard was interrupted before Recovery Media Builder could be completely installed.” I am working with support with this issue; so far still unresolved.

What about such an installation process?

a] The installer tells it will upgrade the 12 ver (this is a confirmation that an on top installation is OK, you are NOT asked to uninstall the previous version).

b] The app's help file declares: “In case there is some previous version of the program installed on the computer, the program will offer the user to uninstall it first.”; it is untrue.

c] CessPitts told about a KB article. I found no one covering HDM 14, but I found a note covering versions up to PRO 10/suite 2011, and yes, you are advised to uninstall previous builds (but this does not match point a & b).

I love Paragon's software, but the installation design as described in this topic, is not of high quality. :thumbd:

And I have another problem with uninstallation of Paragon software: “Error 1310 Error writing to file C:\Config.Msi\.....”, the process goes on after clicking <Retry>. I wrote about this misbehavior in June 2012 (the thread “HDM 12 Suite and BMB updates”). I cannot recall I have had such a problem with any app from other vendors?

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

There are problems with the installation (and, apparently, with the uninstallation too) of RMB for HDM 14. I solved the problem by using the procedure detailed below, which was sent to me by tech support.
    But, the WinPE that I built from Windows 7 x64 didn´t work, as I reported in another thread.

6. CessPitts

CessPitts Registered Member

Just for interest, I had the same issue and on the basis of the preceding post simply tried 'opening' the msi file from an elevated command prompt under Windows 8 (in my case from Take Command rather than cmd), and that then worked. So the key is the 'run as administrator' bit. Difficult to believe that Paragon could have messed up something quite so fundamental, but there you go. Amusingly Windows Explorer seems to give no way to run that installer as administrator, which is a little strange.

7. John Doe Genius

Thanks, Robin A. I received the same advice from the support team, but unfortunately it did not help me. I got additional advices: Reinstall HDM (and BMB & RMB), turn off UAC. Still the message with “interrupted”.

Now I have uninstalled all Paragon products, rebooted, reinstalled HDM, BMB and RMB (with a reboot between all tasks), still “interrupted”. And the elevated command prompt with the msiexec command does still not work......

In addition I have problems with creating a WinPE image (I have previously created several images, even manually using DISM.EXE). Attempt 1-3 failed, but I had success with the 4th attempt: I deactivated NIS (firewall & AV, after disabling the network adapter!), and I exited from every program with running services. Then I successfully created an .iso file. The CD works like a charm!

Windows Action Center was aware of the problem. I have several logs and dumps from the unsuccessful creation of the WinPE image. Tomorrow I am going to ask support whether they want these files.

8. Robin A.

It seems that HDM 14 was rushed out without adequate testing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. Slaycock

Slaycock Registered Member

I found that I could not properly install hard disk manager 14 unless I uninstalled the previous versions and then also deleted the residual directories that were not removed by the uninstall process. You will need to check 'program files' and program files (x86).

Of the three machines on which I have installed Hard disk manager 14 all three installations have shown some form of idiosyncratic behaviour. e.g. ftp working fine but not being able to use network drives, not being able to see previous archives etc.

My confidence in Paragon software is at an all time low so I am now looking at alternatives.

10. John Doe Genius

Today I reached my goal; Recovery Media Builder is installed and the wizard has created an iso file. :thumb:

This is due to the support from Paragon (Sergey Orlov). Paragon has to update their setup file (my opinion).

By the function “Load Drivers” and “Setup Network” I was able to access my USB 3.0 WD disk (only USB 2 on the motherboard) and I was able to access other computers in the local network (through mapping).

11. no_barcode

no_barcode Registered Member

Could you explain what you did to resolve the problem? I'm having the same issue in Windows 8 when trying to start the RMB installer. ("The wizard was interrupted before Recovery Media Builder could be completely installed.")

12. Robin A.

See post #5.

13. no_barcode

no_barcode Registered Member

Thanks. Running the installer via msiexec as administrator didn't seem to help. I've opened a ticket with support.

14. John Doe Genius

Same to me, the instructions in post 5 did not work for me either. I then received another solution from support. I have created a detailed instruction file for a justified manual installation. I wanted to have RMB in the C:\Program Files\Paragon Software folder where I now have the subfolders 'Hard Disk Manager 14 Professional' and 'Recovery Media Builder'.

I'll send these instructions to you as a Private Message. Use the instructions at your own risk.

Good luck.

15. emmrecs

emmrecs Registered Member

Hi.

As another user experiencing this problem is it possible for you to send the same message to me?

I have previously opened a support ticket and Sergey Orlov gave me the same method as in post 5; as it was for you, it did not work! I receive exactly the same message as you.

Sergey also said that the updated version of RMB (released 27/12 2013) should resolve the problem; as I have pointed out to him in my re-opened support ticket (which has so far received no response despite it being raised 8 days ago), it doesn't. I have the updated install file ready to run but ... (you know the rest!)

If it's of any significance I'm running HDM14 (not the Pro version) on Win 7 32 bit.

TIA.
    :)

16. John Doe Genius

Sorry for the late reply, emmrecs. I have been busy with other computer issues.

Do you have the new version 10.1.21.334? I hoped the new build should resolve the problems with 10.1.21.136; the new version is not released yet for HDM 14 Pro.

I had an extensive communication with support, with a lot of back and forth. The end of the story was that RMB was installed in C:\MSI\program files\Paragon Software\Recovery Media Builder\program\rmb2. I have modified the instructions to give an installation in the normal folder C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Recovery Media Builder. My recipe tells:

“If you have another product, you must adjust the text below (point 6).
    The instructions install the RMB in C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Recovery Media Builder. If you want another location, modify the path in point 3, 5 and paragraph 'SavedCustomConfiguration' in point 6.
    TIP: Several commands has to be entered in a CMD window. I hope you are aware of the possibility to copy the text from this instruction file (mark text and Ctrl-C) and paste it into the CMD window (click the icon in upper left corner (on the title bar), select 'Edit' from the drop-down menu and then select 'Paste'”

I prefer to send you the instructions as a Private Message. Please use the instructions at your own risk. If you have succeeded to create a rescue media with BMB (Boot Media Builder) you should stick with that solution.

17. John Doe Genius

The installation problems are resolved in HDM 14 Pro 10.1.21.471.:thumb: :thumb:

Great, but still both 'BMB with WADK' or RMB gives me the incorrect keyboard (en-US); it is bit difficult to type shares (with back-slash) and other characters like @ and : when you have an “incorrect” keyboard.

A disadvantage with RMB is that necessary drivers cannot be preloaded. RMB creates a WinPE 3 environment on my computer (Win7 X64) and I need to load USB 3 drivers to access my backup disk; this is by design. It is much more preferable to use BMB where drivers ca be preloaded (WAIK). If I use WADK (WinPE 4 or 5), the drivers I need for USB 3 and network are included in the MS package. RMB/WAIK created a 563 MB iso file on my computer, whilst BMB/WADK gave me a 269 MB file.

Build 471 of HDM 14 Pro seems to work very well. And the Pro version offers both incremental/differential backup, cyclic backup (and more) and the Retention Wizard is available for downloading.....:thumb:

18. Robin A.

The USB 3.0 drivers included in Windows 8/81, and hence in WADK for Windows 8/8.1, don´t work well with some USB 3.0 external disks. The operations are very slow (especially the writes in the externals). The effective speed can even be USB 2.0, or close to it.

I have found that the Linux boot medium is much faster. In older systems, I also use WinPE 3.0 with Renesas USB 3.0 drivers added manually.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. itsmezed

itsmezed Registered Member

Sadly I am still having this problem. HDM 2014 is installed fine, but the recovery media builder refuses to install. I keep getting the "installation interrupted" error.

20. Robin A.

There are many problems with HDM 14. Try this workaround: [HOW TO] Install program via command prompt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.