Trackpoint configuration in Linux Mint Debian that actually works

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay, I have asked how to configure trackpoint and middle button scrolling in here and in Linux Mint Debian forum as well. I don't think there way anybody who was able to provide detailed instructions. Each time I was referred to this site:

and this site

Unfortunately 9/10 methods in the above links are not working. They simply do nothing. Also the instructions are incomplete and assume you know how to access root directory, copy and paste and a zillion of other things that new linux users have simply no idea how to do. It is extremely discouraging...

Anyways...here is what worked for me:

1. open terminal
    2. type in: sudo caja
    3. go to directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
    3. create a file 20-thinkpad.conf (I copied/pasted existing .conf file*)
    4. paste the follwoing:

This will allow the middle button to work. To increase sensitivity and speed do the following:

1. open terminal
    2. type in: sudo caja
    3. go to directory /etc/udev/rules.d/
    4. create a file 10-trackpoint.rules (I have again copied/pasted another rule file*)
    5. paste in the following

Note: you can adjust the speed and sensitivity values between 1 and 255. See whatever works for you.

I have made this short guide for new linux users. For some reason most linux guides are missing basic steps such as how to copy and paste with root privileges, etc... Others don't even explain what "/" means. I think this is a huge problem for people who are just learning how to use linux.
    Also not a lot of people seem to be using thinkpads but for those few who do, this is what works on Linux Mint Debian. I have tested most other ways to configure speed/sensitivity/middle button but either they were completely noob non friendly or outdated.

*not sure if creating new text file and renaming it with .conf/.rule will work the same as using existing files, renaming them and replacing with the above contents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.