Powerful Filtersets for Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by noone_particular, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

For many years I've been using and recommending Proxomitron over browser extensions like NoScript. The longer I use it, the more I'm convinced that its ability to filter and modify web content is virtually unlimited. At the same time, I've also realized that the time and learning required to unlock its full potential is too demanding for all but the most dedicated power users. Very few users have the time, desire, and skill needed to write their own filterset. Mine has been a work in progress for nearly 10 years. I never shared them because I still don't have the skill or the time required to support or maintain them.

Most of the available filtersets are quite old and haven't been maintained in years. While many of the global filters they contain are still relevant and effective, the site specific filters were way out of date. I was looking for a filterset that's suitable for power users and current enough to be relevant, and I believe I've found it/them. The prox-config-sidki_2011-12-22rc1, available at the Unofficial Proxomitron Forum, is an amazing package that's easy to install. Just unzip it into the Proxomitron folder and load its configuration file. It contains excellent documentation.

This screenshot of the menu created by this filterset will give you some idea of its abilities. Click on any empty spot on the page to make the green circle and triangle appear. Then hover over it to display the menu. There's lots to explore.
    Prox-sidki menu.gif
    For those who want a "NoScript" level of control, add ProxBlox to the configuration. This is done by unzipping ProxBlox to the Proxomitron folder and merging its configuration file from the file menu. This is a screenshot of the ProxBlox menu, activated from the 2 tiny squares in the upper right corner.
    ProxBloxmenu.gif
    Together, these are a powerful and flexible package. While it will require some adjusting to match your preferences, it works quite well out of the box. If you like these filters, drop a line on their forum.

2. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

Proxomitron is a great app

it would be better if there were regularly maintained filtersets and a community like what Adblock Plus has for example

that stopped me from replacing my Firefox extensions with it

thanks for sharing the sets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.