How to disable (new) processes in 8.1?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TairikuOkami, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Hi, I have just noticed 2-3 new processes, they were probably there before, but not in such a group of 3 like they are now. Well, they look suspicious. :D

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5610/gwx2.jpg

I managed to disable one via TaskScheduler, but there are still those 2? I can terminate them without problems, but I would prefer to prevent them from starting.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5913/upjx.jpg

One of them sounds pretty interesting: "rundll32.exe WSClient.dll,RefreshBannedAppsList", it starts about 5 min after startup, when taskeng.exe is ending.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. Tom,

May be you are chasing ghosts, see http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/taskhostex-exe

Don't know about Win8 (have it on my phone, would be able to buy it on my Asus 301, won't going to make it on my desktop :)

First checks
    1. Loadpoints: Hitman Pro do a scan with early warning score, when new or unknow, go to tools and check at VT (right click)

2. Run System Explorer, do a scan, when not secure, right click and check with VT

3. When you have a suspicious file, run RegRun and scan loadpoints, choose I am not sure when in doubt

4. Run MBAM free for remaining issues

5. Run Kapersky's Anti Rootkit

6. Run Comodo Security Essentials (when left overs, due to Comodo's high FP rate, I use it as last cure, it is a decent tool)

3. TairikuOkami

I do not think it is malware, just another pointless and useless Windows processes, I just would like to get rid of them. Scans are clean, by the way. ;)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

5. TairikuOkami

Thanks for the tip. I have managed to disable all of them. If I was actually reading, I would find it sooner, it was clearly written there. They are all TaskScheduler tasks.

Microsoft - Windows - SystemSoundsService / Cachetasks / MsCtfMonitor and the other one WS (Windows Store). I triggered it by using Store to download Windows 8.1.

I have also managed to disabled like 30 useless TaskScheduler tasks, more than 10 related to Customer experience reporting back to Microsoft, even though it was disabled.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Have you broken anything by doing this?

Is the system acting normally, just like it did before you disabled everything?

If everything seems to be running ok, Do you mind sharing a list of everything you disabled? I would like to do this on my machine.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. TairikuOkami

So far everything is working fine. I went through all tasks step by step, I am not sure, which were disabled by me, but I will post those, that were running before.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Do you know the source/cause of all those 30 tasks? Last I checked, my Windows 8.1 only had like three tasks though I'll double-check later today.

9. TairikuOkami

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Thank you TOMxEU, I'll take a look at these.

11. TairikuOkami

So I have tried to disable another pesky process, related to thumbnail preview, but it did not work out.
    I tried disabling the thumbnail previews, deleting the key {3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}.
    All efforts failed, so I have decided to create bat to stop the process 1 min after startup, so far it works.
    Code:
    taskkill /f /im "dllhost.exe"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.