Shumway, Mozilla’s HTML5-Based Flash Player Replacement, Lands In Firefox Nightly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Im glad to see they are working on this.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi mattdocs12345,

Did you know that you can download the browser extension and install it in Firefox to test it out?

See: Mozilla Pushes "Shumway" Flash Into Firefox the blog post link and follow the Read more about Shumway link, and at github there is documentation on using and setting it up in about:config.

-- Tom

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I test between 30-50 higher (1030 to1080, sometimes (1040 to 1070) Speed-Battle scores with this extension enabled. I digress, a few weeks ago I un-installed Cyberfox and Pale Moon as they both only tested mid 900s. For what ever reason, several months ago or Ff versions ago or Windows updates ago, the x64 Ff alternatives went from 1100s+ to these 900 scores. All of these test were also under the protection of Sandboxie v4.04 (x64) which I've been using longer than I can remember, so that isn't an issue. I do wish I knew what has happened with the x64 alternatives. Although definitely not noticeable (heck, IE 10 at 700-800 scores seems lightening fast), it's fun to know you are at max speed!

5. mattdocs12345

Thank you Tom but I'd rather wait for stable version.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I'm sick of using third party components to get certain thing's working in my browser, So this is definitely something I'm happy about.

Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Hopefully, like PDF.js, this will be available on Chrome as well.

8. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

How is development on this going? Is it stable yet? Working? Has anyone tried it?

9. mattdocs12345

Yeah who is the brave soul. Let us know how it went.

10. guest

guest Guest

GrafZeppelin is the brave soul. :isay:

I'd say it's working very well. It feels like using Flash Player, but I don't have Flash Player installed. Well, except the AcitveX version for IE, that's built-in. But it shouldn't be usable by Foxy. I don't really have much time to play with it ATM. I'll try to see what I can do tonight. I have yet to try it with videos which have ads in it though.

Note #1: With NoScript, aside of having to allow youtube.com, I had to allow googlevideo.com or something as well. IIRC with Flash Player I only had to allow youtube.com. But that's when I was using Chrome.

Note #2: I didn't configure anything under about:config. I just installed it. It didn't work at first but after several times restarted Foxy, and allowed googlevideo.com, it worked.

Dang, this could be a good reason to back using Firefox. I was starting to enjoy trolling Mozilla. :D

It could even play HD video OMG! :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

When you right click the video, what does it show? Just interested if it's HTML5 or different from Adobe Flash. Also, how do Flash games perform?

12. guest

guest Guest

Oh yeah, about that one...

HTML5.jpg

BTW, in the older days wasn't Firefox able to play some videos without Flash Player plugin, as long as the video doesn't have ads in it?

Haven't gone that far yet, I just tested it with YouTube videos.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Those look like HTML5 videos instead of Flash ones. YouTube has some videos in HTML5 by default, and falls back to it for most others when Flash isn't detected.

14. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

J L, Shumway in Youtube works exactly like the HTML5 YouTube trial does now. I tried it a few months ago by installing Firefox nightly in a sandbox. Personally, I did not like it and prefer Flash.
    http://people.mozilla.org/~jwein/ux-nightly/

Bo

15. guest

guest Guest

So I finally be able to completely disable HTML5 support. Curse those incomplete tutorials...

Sorry to pop your bubbles mates, it didn't work. :( I thought I've completely disabled HTML5 in Firefox, but I missed some settings in about:config. When I managed to disable it the video wouldn't play.

Apologize for the misinformation. The built-in HTML5 support is what made the videos to play. After I disabled all the settings required, Shumway couldn't play it. Such a shame really, I thought I could get rid of Flash for good. :(

Well, back to trolling Mozilla. :p

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@bo_elam: I believe you're wrong on that. Just tried it myself on Shunway Inspector and YouTube banner ad, the context menu is the same as default. Only HTML5 media has that special menu.

@GrafZeppelin: Currently the flash player plugin needs to be installed for it to work, forgot to tell you that. Just change shunway.disabled from true to false on about:config after installing Flash.

Even with proper click to play, YouTube always seem to bypass it, so try Metacafe instead. It failed with blank grey. If you click the Shunway icon, it basically changes to Adobe Flash. You can see that behaviour here.

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thats what I meant to say. When I tried Firefox Nightly, I did not see or feel any difference in Youtube while watching videos in HTML5 as it does now if you enable the HTML5 trial in Youtube. The menu is the same when you right click a Youtube HTML5 video while using the trial or using Firefox nightly. I did not try videos in any other site or play games so I cant tell you how that is with Shumway.

Bo

18. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The Shumway Firefox extension is available here:

-http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/extension/firefox/shumway.xpi-

Its stable but it may break things and it does get updated from time to time. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The article says you can enable it in about:config ever since Firefox 27. That's what I did.

20. guest

guest Guest

Lol, best irony in 2013 I've seen so far. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.