XXX Toolbar

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Joe, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe Registered Member

I am using Verson 3.1 of Spyware Blaster and very happy with it's performance, but I do have one small problem.

Every time I go into the Protection page and use the Restricted Sites Protection and all is protected, if I go back the next day the XXX Toolbar has been removed from the protected list and I have to enable it again.

Also can anyone tell me if this is what keeps installing CWS.GoogleMS3

Any simple advice on how to block this XXX Toolbar would be appreciated.

Regards
    Joe

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

3. Joe

Joe Registered Member

Thanks Snap, I have read through the other thread that you suggested and it seems that it is a bit of a problem for Pest Patrol doesn't it.

Is there anyway that I can keep it Blocked with Spareware Blaster or do I undo it myself every time I delete it from PP.

Your advice is appreciated.

Regards
    Joe

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Unfortunately, you are undoing the protection when you have Pest Patrol delete it. So, until Pest Patrol fixes this, you at least do know that it is happening, so just run SpywareBlaster after Pest Patrol and restore all protections. Hopefully, Pest Patrol will do something about this false positive/fix action.

5. Joe

Joe Registered Member

Thanks Low Water, as that is the only one that PP finds I think that I can reasonably leave running the scan and just let PP do it's other work.

Now I know what is what I won't be worrying about it so much.

Cya
    Joe

6. ChrisM

ChrisM Registered Member

I just thought I'd mention that I'm having the same problem with XXXToolbar and Spyware Blaster as well as OffShore Clicks and and CoolWeb item, but I'm not using Pest Patrol. I'm using SpyBot, Adware, SpySweeper and Spyware Eliminator.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, you ought to find out which of those tools is removing the protective entries and inform them that they are mistakenly cleaning a good entries, otherwise it won't ever be fixed.

SpywareBlaster can't be adjusted in anyway to fix this because it is properly adding a spyware related site to the restricted zone. If some other tool comes along later and removes it... well, that tool is weakening people's security, not improving it. In IE, restricted zone entries are a protection because their removal means that the site will be treated automatically by the security set in the Internet Zone, which on most people's systems is less secure.

8. MCT

MCT Registered Member

pestpatrol has released version 5, that may help with the false positives, im downloading it now, im on dialup :(

regards :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.