Eset Smart Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

How is it now days? I remember a few years ago it was the lightest and had a great detection rate. Just curious because I am looking for a nice light solution I can use on my gaming laptop. Currently Newegg has a sale for a 1 PC license for $12.

2. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Got a link? I cannot find it.

3. whitedragon551

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Odd. No Sydney, Australia in the delivery zip code.

5. whitedragon551

I think they are a US only thing.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The version 7 beta looks promising, but at this point it is still a beta. I find version 6 a little heavier than expected but not a bad package overall. I keep an active license but it is not always my primary product. I've had the version 4/5/6 firewall lock me out of my own network before. The 7 beta has not had that problem so far.

7. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello White Dragon, I am currently running nod32 version 7 beta, on my gaming laptop (with windows 8 own firewall + image backup) I have been beta testing it for at least a couple of month, and it has been very light(no drag) , no hiccups whatsoever.But as a hardcore user as yourself, you know that, this is of course not a guarantee, just my observation.

Regards Janus :))

8. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

eset used to be good but not anymore.
    it is a good AV but not as good as others.
    You can test it for yourself and see if it fits your need, try a trial

9. c2d

c2d Registered Member

ESET is still very good. I strongly recommend the Antivirus only. It's quiet, unobtrusive, relatively light and fast, no slowdowns. Easy to configure and with a very nice GUI.
    Detection rate is also very good.

10. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Well, if you judge an AV on detection rates alone, ESET is not in the absolute top tier. It still achieves fine scores on the standard tests, however, and I think it is clearly still a good choice as part of a security solution for a smart computer user.

I have been using ESET on and off for several years now and it is still the product that has the least impact on my computer. I complement ESET with Norton DNS and occasional scans with MBAM and Hitman Pro and have never been infected while running it. I think ESET is a very mature product with an excellent interface and they seem to rarely, if ever, experience issues where updates cause users problems.

In addition to ESET, I currently have active licenses for KIS, Bitdefender AV Plus, and Avast IS. Each of those tools has one or more problems that keeps me from running it on my pretty powerful desktop. ESET is more polished than the other three and I don't have to worry about a program update trashing my computer as has happened with each of the other three products. I credit that to quality ESET programming and testing.

ESET also offers excellent help when you do have problems. They recently setup new forums on a separate site and some of their top analysts will directly answer your questions. I think that is a nice part of using the product.

All in all, I think ESET is a good choice for 99.9% of computer users. If you are in that .1% of users who likes to walk on the wild side of the Internet, I am not sure if any single security product is going to save you.

By the way, I have no relationship to the ESET corporation. I am just a person who keeps coming back to ESET after trying other products and finding them lacking in some way. Some day I may stop trying out other products, but I doubt it. :)

11. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Same here. Also, I am still with version 4. It is significantly lighter, and has the same detection (no HIPS, but I don't want that anyway). Windows 8 users won't be able to use it, though.

12. whitedragon551

I have OpenDNS setup at the router level to block malware, botnets, etc. and prevent typos like faecbook.com.

Im just looking for something light. Occasionally I need a specialized software and will scour the net looking for something that exists and try out what I find, but maybe once or twice a year something like this happens.

Does ESET allow you to select which components get installed when you install it? Does it have useless tools like uninstallers and disc cleanup utilities? I would most likely just run Windows FW.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you install the suite I believe there are not a lot of install options, but you can disable any module you like. You could go AV only if you were not wanting all of the suite. No, it has no useless junk, one of the good things about it. No disk utilities, no toolbars, etc.

14. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I also think you have to install the complete product and then disable anything you don't want. As xxJackxx says, ESET is a clean product. One thing that I like is that it seems to have very effective web filtering without using any kind of browser plugin. I lost count of how many plugins KIS 2013/14 wants to run!

The only hint of bloat in Smart Security is that they added an anti-theft function that can help locate and recover a stolen computer. I don't have that enabled.

You should give ESET Antivirus a try. From what you say, I think it may meet your needs. In fact, I would be using just the Antivirus version but I got a really good deal on ESET Smart Security. I don't think I have a need for the firewall functions. In fact, I don't think any suite-based firewall I have ever run has done me much good. Mostly, they seem to just get in the way of running legitimate applications. I am always running behind a router and modem which have their own firewalls and have Norton DNS programmed into my router at the moment.

Give the Antivirus a try. I will be curious to hear how you like it.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you are having performance issues with newer versions, please contact us on our official forum https://forum.eset.com. Newer versions starting with v5 should have even lower system footprint thanks to LiveGrid and v6 and v7 are also better in terms of protection against zero-day malware than any previous versions.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No it does not, everything is tightly integrated.

No nothing like that. :thumb:

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thank you, you may send him a PM too and tell him what you recommend instead as you did to me :D

18. whitedragon551

Well trial period here we come. So far I like it. Its simple, pretty much weightless, and has an intuitive yet granular interface if I choose. Fairly certain this will be a fit. Just have to snag it before Newegg gets rid of the price.

19. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello.
    I have just installed the trial version of eset smart security and i am very impressed indeed.
    It installed beautifully with no hiccups at all.
    I am seriously considering a purchase.

The interface is clear and concise.
    Overall a very nice product indeed and i thank the developers.

Im totally new to eset so im on a learning cycle at the moment.
    Thanks.

20. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I have been using the beta version, off and on several weeks and it looks very good! I never saw those low prices mentioned earlier but will check again. :D

21. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Eset S.S.6...Eset is the one I keep coming back to. Extremely well engineered...completely absent of Bloat...and overall a Joy to use. The thing I appreciate about Eset is they stay away from useless borderline features...Banking Module...Social Media...Toolbar's...third party Search Engines...Back-Up..Pseudo Registry Cleaners...all of which add Bloat...and make your surfing web sites a forgettable experience. Not to sound hypocritical but a Banking Module...does make complete sense...but so far the ones being offered by various vendors in my experience...are for the most part still in a Beta Stage...even though they've been released for Primetime. This is one product I give a Five out of Five to. Well done Eset! This is a disclaimer...I'm in no way associated from a business standpoint with Eset...my rating is based solely on my experience! Sincerely...Securon

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Feel free to try out the new beta 7 which has been very stable and will go final soon. For more information about the new features, visit http://www.eset.com/int/beta/v7.

23. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Some of you, maybe those living in the US, might be able to take advantage of a current low price at Fry's Electronics for NOD32 Antivirus. They have a one year, one computer license version available for $17.99. It looks like they have free shipping but it is likely pretty slow. I am lucky enough to live not too far from a physical Fry's store near Fort Worth, TX and I usually just pick up a boxed version once a year as my license expires. Smart Security and NOD32 Antivirus are regularly on sale at Fry's.

I don't work for them. :)

Good luck with the trials!

24. whitedragon551

Right now Newegg has a 1 PC license for $12.00. Thats where I picked mine up from. Its also a free shipping option. Its kind of sad they dont offer digital content for software like this.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.