Anti-malware.ru: Test firewalls to protect against internal attacks (July 2013)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by a256886572008, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Great job, Comodo! :thumb:

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Norton did a pretty good job considering some other firewall tests ranked it fairly low! I know a few of their security settings don't work because I use Windows 8 and I have a 64 bit computer. So I assume it would be under the standard option settingso_O

4. itman

itman Registered Member

I assume the NIS 2013 Max rating means running with Automatic Program Control set to off. The average user would never be able to handle that setting since they will get alerts for everything. And yes under x64, NIS 2013 has signifigantly less protection; no keylogging, dll injection. etc.

Actually I don't consider the Windows firewall ranking that bad considering it is only providing inbound protection by default. I don't understand their max rating for it however. I guess they didn't set outbound protection on for it? Or perhaps they didn't realize no alerts will be generated but everything outbound without a rule will be silently blocked?

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I've come expect that Comodo will do well, so good for them :thumb: But i'm surprised about BitDefender also getting 100% :eek: I didn't realise it was that good :thumb:

I don't see ZA in there ?

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Such a shame, that they have not included Privatefirewall, it was always my favorite and I am sure, that it would score great.

7. MyBlackBox

MyBlackBox Registered Member

Was going to tell the same, it should be with the gold prized ones...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Wow, Bitdefender surprises me, 100% on max settings even, let alone 100% on default settings. I know it has some HIPS component, but I thought it was quite simple/basic and turned off by default for the average user?

They should have included Privatefirewall and SpyShelter firewall as well. Also, a reaction to the test by Ilya Rabinovich, but Defensewall Firewall is not tested, pity.

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Yeah I was shocked with the Bitdefender results too.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Note that is test was for WIN 7 x86. They stated they will hopefully do a x64 test later this year. Can't wait to see how NIS 2013 fares on that test.

11. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

:thumb: :thumb: Online Armor :thumb: :thumb:
    That 90% level is provided by OA Free's "Standard Mode" as well.

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Which score would OA free have got? Still good regardless.

And kind of funny Norton and OA did BETTER on the higher complexity ones, when every other one did worse.

13. guest

guest Guest

Probably the same OA HIPS is the same in the free than in the paid version.

14. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Does anyone of you know, if it's still possible to configure Kaspersky IS 2014 in the same way they did in this test, in spite of the GUI and configurability changes?

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Seems Zonealarm was left out from that russkie test.

16. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Comodo I get . I would like to know more about this test because I have a hard time believing Outpost basically sucks compared to top tier .It could be right as Outpost has different versions and I have ALWAYS found newer version are terrible to start . This is the only thing I can figure .

17. itman

itman Registered Member

First, this is a leak test. Notice the title "Protecting Against Internal Threats."

As such, it is usefull for calculating a delta between out-of-box and maximum firewall settings. I didn't see any that showed more than a 10% deviation in protection. Many were far less than that. The report if test methodolgy was of substance indicates firewall "tweaking" might be of questionable effort. The most signfigant improvement would be the NIS firewall which I believe is somewhat common knowledge. Also signifigant in my opinion is that the WIN 7firewall which allows all outbound still scored high enough to get a bronze award.

-EDIT-
    There is one eye opener in this test. Both Kapersky and BitDefender with out-of-box settings do not provide much more leak protection than the WIN 7 firewall. In other words, they are allowing all outbound connections. This syncs with with my experience with KIS 2013 when I ran it for a brief time. Also neither of these firewalls are easy to configure since the rules are fairly cryptic.

Looks to me the big winners of this testing are Comodo and Online Armor. No surprise there.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Seems like i dont check the FW Forum enough, i always miss these threads.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Since F-Secure uses the Windows firewall supplemented by DeepGuard, preventing suspicious applications from accessing the Internet, how is Microsoft scoring higher than F-Secure!:blink: :p

20. itman

itman Registered Member

Maybe they turned off the Windows firewall perhaps in error? You never know what these independant tests are really about. Note that F-Secure scored about the same on the last Matousec x64 test.

21. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.