Guardian Rom - Secure Android OS

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by x942, Jun 9, 2013.

1. x942

x942 Guest

I just finished the preview build of my secure android ROM. Here is the information:

Download and information

More devices are coming. Right now I have it working on the Nexus 4, HTC One, S4, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 7. Let me know what you all think of the project. I am hoping to make this the most secure mobile OS available.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I was literally thinking of writing my own Android ROM earlier today lol anyways, I'm on a Galaxy Nexus. Downloading now( edit: nope, no link?). I'll want to make sure it's secure.

Can you PM me the kernel config?

3. x942

x942 Guest

GNex build is compiling. I ran into issues as I bricked my gnex last week. I will have to fix the build. PMing you.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I may wait, can't afford to be messing around due to a poor cable connection that would make recovery annoying from a brick. If I get around to it I'll emulate it and just run a few tools to make sure it's configured securely. Not that I doubt you, at all really, but I like to confirm for myself

5. x942

x942 Guest

Yeah that wouldn't be fun. I just had to deal with that myself. The more people to verify the better!

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Nice job! I may have to wait a little bit until I pick up a Nexus S4 or Nexus HTC One...then I'll wipe the GNex and test. June 26th I hear. LOVE the 10 tries and you lose feature! :D

PD

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Anybody in the states and want to play with various Android fun...

One of the best deals in hardware is this week at Barnes & Noble. A Father's Day deal:

Nook HD $129
    Nook HD+ $149

Incredible specs and Nook even runs Google Play out-of-the-box now. It's a solid Android tablet now that they cut the cord and opened it up. At this price, it's a great piece of hardware to tinker with, too

It's also at Best Buy, Target and WalMart at these prices.

These are truly incredible prices for one week.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57588445-58/barnes-noble-slashes-nook-hd-prices-for-one-week/

8. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

oh hell yeah , cant wait for this feature, id love to hear more on this how its planned on being implemented since i know how TCs deniable FDE encryption works and others here as well , as soon as confirmed secure and no

backdoors ill most surely get it asap , keep up the great work , im excited that our androids are gettin some love

9. x942

x942 Guest

Thanks. Yeah the GNex is the best hardware right now. I can all but guarantee everything will work out of the box on it. I would recommend the HTC One if you are looking at it. Great device. It's my daily driver.

Agreed. :thumb: I will have to make a port for that device.

Yup I am uploading sources today. I didn't design the solution but I am (as far as I know) the first to use it in a polished product. The patches I am using are from Mobiflage (users.encs.concordia.ca/~a_skil/mobiflage/‎). The authors were kind enough to send me the new version which supports new phones with MTP storage. I have a working build but need to test more before launching. We also need someone to verify security. I am no where near qualified to verify crypto sadly :/

10. x942

x942 Guest

Now on my github: www.github.com/x942/mobiflage

The creators released it under an Apache Based license. Any who one can review it please do so :)

11. happyyarou666

yes someone with the experience please do so , we all would like to know how secure this rom is and if it really holds up to all its promises

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Very interesting, Kyle!

I'm still using a good ol' Galaxy S, so I can't use your ROM. (I'm using CWM 10.0 with OpenPDroid and PDroid Manager.)

Just installed your SecDroid, will test in in the coming days. Looks like a good addition to my arsenal ;)

13. x942

x942 Guest

:thumb:

Nice I still have a Galaxy S. Good phone considering. Mine still runs smoothly. I may back port it. Just have to get the Encryption part done first.

14. x942

x942 Guest

15. x942

x942 Guest

Just an update: The New version will be pushed some time this week with proper encryption in place.

16. happyyarou666

cant wait for a nice review hope this is gona be the nr.1 secure rom wheve all been hoping for , oh and hope it got secure delete 2-3 wipes should do it, for all its delete commands that goes for deleting SMS messages as well , no "just" encryption wont do , imagine they order you by law to encrypt the phone , then theyll be able to read those deleted files from sectors as well , not good , sure with hidden os integration this problem disappears , but i still prefer the best of both worlds , secure delete and encryption + hidden os and possibly hidden volume support for sd cards as well, ahhh! just thinking about it gets my security freak on , lols xD

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  17. x942

x942 Guest

I am currently finishing up the stable build. I am just testing the windows installer. If it works we are golden.

as far as wiping data goes:

I am going to rewrite the recovery system to wipe data with 2 passes of random data. For individual files we may be able to port shred over and present a GUI for that. As far as SMS goes, those are all store in SQLlite Databases. What we are in the process of doing is moving all SQL DB over to SQLCipher. Everything will be encrypted. This will use different keys for each DB. And if we can these keys will be protected with the Lockscreen password.

I will also be incorporating something like LUKS Manager for additional volumes if needed.

18. happyyarou666

i like what im reading already, keep it up

19. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S4 are two different phones by Samsung, there is no such thing as the Nexus S4, or even the Nexus HTC One!

20. x942

x942 Guest

I think he is referring to the Google Edition devices.

I am hoping they release an AOSP source tree. This will making port Mobiflage and the other enhancements much easier. Currently they don't all support or work with CM10.1.

Nexus devices have full support as AOSP compiles directly to them.

21. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

I have a Galaxy Nexus -- I don't use it anymore because I won an S4, but have to keep the number up & running on it due to using the number to enter contests before I won the S4 -- and it has Samsung's crap on it, not vanilla Android.

22. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

That would be correct :D

I've heard so many dang names for them, I made up my own too...feel free to use, LOL.

(But yes, they are far from 'Nexus' devices). I may look for a cheap GSM GNex on eBay to test with. No need for a new phone as it turns out.

PD

23. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What's the best unlockable GSM phone?

24. x942

x942 Guest

For privacy & security. Probably the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4.

25. happyyarou666

galaxy nexus, hmmm , any others , perhaps the htc one or ill be waiting for the new releases during this coming months or not , the htc one seems like a worthy contender of an android flagship phone, since my old ZTE N880E is hardly high end and falling apart , lols, its time

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.