Is antivirus protection for a smartphone really necessary?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is antivirus protection for a smartphone really necessary?
    http://blog.avast.com/2013/04/18/antivirus-protection-for-a-smartphone/

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've got more than 10 3rd party app stores installed on my Android phone, and also occasionally install APKs I've download from the internet, and I've never encountered any viruses or malware. I often have antivirus software installed, but no threats have ever been found. Avast (which I only had installed very briefly) once did find a rogue app, but it was harmless.

I'm certainly not denying the existence of Android based malware, but my experience has been a lot different to what the many articles talking about the abundance of Android malware say.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. siljaline

5. siljaline

An important postscript.

Always investigate third and first party mobile app or application - permissions:

The link here shows what a Facebook mobile app requires to run on your phone. It is deplorable as no one would accept these requirements on a Windows or other O/S.

A recent article by BusinessWeek effectively calls a mobile device a tracking device. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.