Layered defenses largely fail to block exploits, says NSS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/052413-layered-defenses-largely-fail-to-270136.html

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

My paranoia just spiked 10 fold.:blink:

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Take a pill... :)

4. guest

guest Guest

It seems that the article title is quite sensational. :D

Spoiler:

On later part it says it's fine to use layered defense, as long as it's not from the same vendor and not on the same type. I want to hear opinions from security suite users about this. :)

What the article didn't mention is that cherry-picking can be dangerous if you consider about compatibilities. This is where security suites shine, built from the same technology means conflicts are less likely to occur. Not saying that cherry-picking should be avoided, just make sure you do it right. ;)

End of spoiler.......

I personally think it's still pretty effective. Not a holy grail but supposed to be adequate enough for most situations. Just as long as you know where to put those layers and their limits. ;)

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Don't paranoid. It's just saying that layering is the way to go but you have to do it properly. Using 2 AV's or 2 Blacklisting isn't going to help. It's pretty much what most of us already know. Having an AV, firewall and HIPS covers most of what suites have today. So instead of using NIS, you could use Outpost firewall, Eset AV and Appguard. You have your Firewall/HIPS, AV and Anti-exe. You just have to look at what you have and determine if it's more than two of the same things.

6. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I am interested in hearing what suite users have to say as well.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nothing we didn't know already really.. If malware can take down NIS for example, then both the firewall and the AV are both taken down, leaving you pretty exposed. Like the article says, the art to combining products from different vendors is really finding the ones that play well together. As we all have seen, conflicts are commonplace. But with some experimentation, one can come up with a pretty good strategy that covers the bases well, without conflicts or issues. The possible combinations from different vendors is, well, not unlimited, but vast...

8. kjdemuth

:thumb: Exactly. There are plenty of choices. You just have to mix and match till you find something to your liking. Took me a while to find the combo that works for me. I'm still tweaking stuff here and there but not so much lately.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

In the link they say:

Now how do we find out what were the 3%?

That is about 18 or 19 unique combos. I want to know if my combo happens to be one of them.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Actually, the last paragraph sums it up:

There is a significant correlation of failures to detect exploits between security products. "This is because most vendors use the same sources of threat intelligence and the same vulnerability research feeds as each other, and this means that they will, more often than not, have the same deficiencies in their coverage," NSS reported.

Translated, everyone is using the same source so your in essence wasting your money and system resources using more than one. Hum ........ wonder what MBAM thinks of that?

However this article is talking about exploits.I have EMET for that.

11. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

GJ, that image is so small I can't read it...

13. guest

guest Guest

Bigger version: hxxp://0xdabbad00.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/exploit_mitigation_kill_chain.png

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, much better. Thanks...

15. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Sorry, my mistake there. Also my post about should have said "Windows XP." Point was that Vista and later have better protection against memory exploits.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

In other words, use a true layered approach with software from multiple vendors? :rolleyes:

17. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Doesn't EMET prevent all these exploits?

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Agree ! In last years I have tried and successfully experienced good combos for a multi layered security; sometimes I found a bad combo which created conflict, and simply I reject it. A disk image software helps to test and try. ;)

19. blacknight

Do you mean that you use HIPS and anti-exe together ? I always thought that such a combo could decrease their effectiveness.

20. shadek

shadek Registered Member

"One pitfall to avoid with layered security is using products from the same vendor. That's because all of a single vendor's products are based on the same technology and security intelligence."

That is just common sense. I've just seen few at Wilders using a layered approach with the same vendor.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

There are vendor security suites using technologies from different sources. Ideal choice for avoiding conflicts but keeping the layered approach philosophy (e.g. Bullgard, G-Data, ZoneAlarm, etc..)

22. kjdemuth

They perform similar jobs but work differently. The AE does just that blocks exe that aren't whitelisted. It doesn't block scripts or other exploits. HIPS has a granular control over your system. Depending on the HIPS, it will prompt you for just about everything that a program is attempting to perform. Little more interactive and sometimes annoying. I have used both before but I don't believe it will decrease effectiveness of either.

23. The windows os will emerge to a three level trust zone: elevated - normal - sandboxed. Next generation security should focus on exploit protection keeping untrusted in sandbox and preventing shoot in the foot errors by virtualising/sandboxing binaries with poor reputation. The latter helps safeguarding the normal - elevated frontiere and possibly also jailing known blacklisted binaries.

So multi level will be os plus exploit mitigation plug-ins/add ons and an AV with reputation scoring and auto sandboxing

24. blacknight

Yes, my doubt is if they are installed both at lower level in the system.

25. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes,if not all then the vast majority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.