Wild Tangent

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by paparay, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paparay

paparay Registered Member

Hi, new here and would like some assistance if possible.
    My Grandson down loaded AOL's instant messenger, (AIM) and with it a spyware set of executable programs and many other files by the name of "wildtangent".

The way I found out about this was my firewall told me that wildtangent was trying to connect. I ran SpyBot and Adaware but they reported nothing. I did a little research and found out that this was a "spyware program". I used the find function of xp and deleted all the references to this program that I could find except for several zipped files and two exectuable Jar files that are listed as being in Spybot search and destroy/recovery.

I should leave these, correct?

Also, after deleting all these, AIM stopped working, so I deleted it and all references to AOL.

The only problem is that my Grandson wants it back on as he said all his friends are moving from MS messenger to AIM.

How can I get AIM without getting Wild Tangent?

Any assistance would be appriciated.

PapaRay

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi paparay,

I moved your thread here where it will hopefully get the attention it deserves.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Storm

Storm Registered Member

Hi paparay!

If you do not need the "special toys" like webcam stuff, I'd suggest you try
    Miranda-IM!

It's (spyware-)free (open source), you can add almost any function via plugin support and it can do all the big IMs (i.e. AOL-IM, MSN-IM, Yahoo-IM, ICQ...)
    ....at the SAME TIME :D

http://www.miranda-im.org

Greets

Storm

4. oonocando

oonocando Registered Member

When it comes down to what is and whats not spyware shouldnt be left up to Spyware detection devices alone. We as indaviduals have to decide what we want on our computers and should use programs like Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, Spywareguard, Adware 6 etc. to keep what we dont want on our computers off of our computers. We all have to make sacrifices when it comes to programs like AIM or any software.
    I have the Wildtangent web driver installed on my computer because I like playing some of there games. I did however find a way to disable the spyware that come with it, without deleteing it from my computer by going to www.pcpitstop.com. And then to keep from deleteing it with Spybot S&D I had to check the box for wildtangent in the settings under ignore products.
    I also use an optical mouse made by Logitech that uses backweb in its update program. So I disabled the updater to disable backweb.
    I have no idea weather the spyware that comes with wildtangent or Logitech are active on my computer but I have done what I could to disable them and am makeing the sacrifice so I can play the games I like and use a mouse I can aford.
    I have Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, MRUblaster, Spybot S&D, Adware 6, and TrojanHunter enstalled and up to date on my computer. And I use and rely on them every day.
    As long as you know whats on your computer and use the tools and advice you find in forums like this you shouldnt have any problems.

5. swoosie

swoosie Guest

Hi paparay,
    Neither my grandkids or I could get along without AIM. Silly but so true.
    Check the version Of Ad-aware that you are running. It should say Ad-aware-personal- build 6.181. That version seems to see Wild Tangent and remove it's spyware components without disabling AIM. Don't forget to hit that update button on Ad-aware before you scan.
    GL!

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi papray.....Welcome to forums :)

Why don't you use Trillian, it will allow you to connect with AIM/MSN/ICQ/IRC/Yahoo users all in one.

Set up will take a little doing, but it has a lot of built-in features so you don't get unsolicited IM's.

HERE

Download the Basic one [free], plus also download the Patch same page.
    Install Trillian first, then install the patch and start configuring.

Although I know of many people using AIM with no probs.

Also a very nice lot of threads about chat programs and setups HERE

and Aim and Wild Tangent in that lot of threads but this is the thread in that
    HERE

Cheers, TAS

PS: In that original link to the threads, in the pinned section is a great tutorial on how to set up Trillian and configure it.

SETTING UP TRILLIAN WITH AIM

Attached Files:

• 066.GIF
      066.GIF
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.