If/When/ or already has.......

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What I'm interested in finding out is which......If any Antivirus has a blocker to stop those annoying windows that popup, that automatically start some sort of process, The kind I'm referring to is such as the like of the certain one which suddenly pops up on the screen in a new browser window, and states "You need to update your flash player to continue" and tries to initiate a download of some form of **** to infect you. I have Avira Premium set on high heuristics on System/Real time/ Web and Email. and mostly everything enabled in the general section except games/jokes/ and unusual runtime compression, yet It still manages to get through. Damn annoying when it shows up, but I'm wondering if these developers of AV's will provide a block to this sort of activity sometime or other?

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Well, Avast does have a strong webfilter. I think it's not just about that popup, but its more about the strength of the Antivirus. Whatever will executed will be scanned by the on-access portion of the AV and it may or may not be blocked.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

What browser? You can use Adblock Plus with Firefox or Chrome and that should stop it.

4. guest

guest Guest

I think you're looking for a HIPS. It has a learning curve though, but if you can handle it, then there are some good (and free! :) ) available HIPSs to try.

ABP uses blacklisting to block ads. It won't block any type of popups, especially if the popup has no ads. Think about those dodgy file sharing/uploading sites.

5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

i use firefox with noscript(default whitelist mode) & ABP & never faces this situation with any worthy or shady website.in fact i am surprised how you even get these popups(assuming illegitimate ones & not where your flash player is indeed outdated) when using any good AV & surfing good/safe sites & even quite a bit of shady ones too.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Same here. I haven't seen a popup of any kind during the past year, maybe a little longer.

Bo

7. guest

guest Guest

It's probably just me but, don't you think a script blocker with ABP is kinda overkill? I'm pretty sure script blockers block ads too. At least I know ScriptSafe does this.

8. whitestar_999

it has its uses especially in situations where i have to temporarily allow a script to use website but allowing that script also results in popup which is then taken care of by ABP.using this combination i have successfully used sites with no popup & still got what i wanted which would not be possible by using only one of these two solutions.

9. bo elam

NoScript is not just another script blocker. Probably, it is the best of its kind and it can also be used to block Java, Flash, Silverlight, other plugins, trackers, IFRAMES, etc. Take a look at this link for the rest of the features. If I had to make a choice between NoScript and ABP, I would choose NS.

http://noscript.net/features

Bo

10. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Outpost Pro can block such pop ups.Use the web filter.

11. guest

guest Guest

I probably will reconsider of using ScriptSafe again. It blocks ads too (except text based ones) and also browser exploits. That support thread needs to be bumped I guess. :shifty:

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I found the scriptsafe in chrome/dragon to be a big PITA to be frank.

It is nowhere near as usable as noscript.

13. guest

guest Guest

I found it to be the reverse. :D Well, Chrome users don't have other options. NotScript is dead so our only hope is just ScriptSafe, except there's a plan to port NoScript to Chrome. :shifty:

14. The Red Moon

Porting noscript over to chrome..?

Thats a great idea.Hope it materializes.

15. guest

guest Guest

It might won't be as powerful as Firefox's version, since there are some limitations on Chrome's... whatever technical term that people usually say. o_O Even though like that, AFAIK Chrome has some sort of built-in XSS clickjacking protection. So that (hopefully) will make up for it.

16. The Red Moon

The only gripe i have with noscript is where it breaks some websites and i basically have to allow all the scripts for the site to render correctly which sort of defeats the purpose of noscript in the first place.

Especially when going on for 40 scripts are being blocked.

On a more positive note it is amazing just how many silent scripts are being executed on your browsing as noscript gives a full rundown on what it has blocked.
    Saves your bandwith too.

17. whitestar_999

i read a post by developer of noscript a few years back in which he stated that there will be no noscript for chrome & one of the reason he gave was that a fully functioning noscript on chrome would also block all ads/similar things which is in direct conflict with google's revenue model.

learning to use noscript is kind of like learning to use HIPS.once you get past the initial phase it becomes much simpler.i only temporarily allow 1 or 2 scripts to view any site but then i also don't use the like,share,twitter..... buttons nor am i interested in reading those useless comments especially if they require a script.in my experience any site which needs a separate script besides the main one to even read comments is not worth reading in the first place.

18. bo elam

This is the article with the reasons why there is no NoScript (or anything else as good) for Chrome.

http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-chrome-has-no-noscript/

Bo

19. guest

guest Guest

But isn't the Chrome extension API problem has been resolved now? :doubt:

To back on topic, a script blocker might be the best option, IMO.

20. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I cant! It's greyed out, probably due to compatibility with Avira

22. guest

guest Guest

Have you tried excluding Avira from Outpost and vise-versa?

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Having tried MBAM to try and stop this damn popup, I opted for an Old but reliable program I had when using Windows XP, and that is Pop-Up Stopper Professional, this is quite a few years old now, but I installed on Windows 8 Pro with Impressive results, and no problems at all ever since :D

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Have you looked into Ad Muncher, several people here on Wilders love it :)

25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No, or Maybe I have? is it the one with the Cow Icon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.