Folder Lock not work with ESET V5 or 6

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by cupster, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cupster

cupster Registered Member

I have a terrible issue with Folder Lock v7.X not working with either ESET V5 or V6, but it works just fine with V4.
    I can open Folder Lock just fine, but when I try to open a locked Vault, the computer just freezes completely, the only way to restore operability is to unplug and then replug in the computer.
    I have tried disabling HIPS and have repeated the process many times, it is always the same, with ESET V5 or 6 installed the computer locks up solid when trying to open a Folder Lock vault, with version 4 installed it works flawlessly.
    What could be present in V5 & V6 that is not present in V4?
    The same problem even occurred with the AV disabled!
    Please any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. cupster

Thanks for the input Janus, but the folder is hidden until folder lock opens, but it generally opens as Z drive so I could give it a try, but I still don't understand why it works flawlessly in ESET V4 but not in either V5 or V6.

Thanks again for the input.

4. cupster

Has anybody got ESET v5.x or v6.x installed with Folder Lock?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Tested with ESS v5 and v6, no issues noticed while using FL 7.2 on Win7 x86 and x64.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. cupster

Thank you so much Marcos, for taking the time to test the setup and report your results, it is greatly appreciated.

I don't see how the problem can be anything but ESET related, it works everytime with v4 and then the only thing I change is to install eset v5 or v6 and it crashes, when trying to open a locked vault. The program folder lock works fine up until the time I try to open a vault.

Since the combination works on your machine and not mine (windows XP latest build) can you share the ESET settings that you used that may be pertinent, so that maybe I can try to duplicate your success.

How big was the folder that you encrypted using folder lock? Mine is 1 GB, and I wonder if that might be causing some issues.

Thanks again for your guidance and expertise.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. cupster

Does anybody have folder lock running with ESET v5 or v6, that has been able to open a locked vault of say 1GB in size?

Can you please share your ESET settings.

Marcos says the 2 programs work together, but not on my windows XP machine.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello cupster

Had a little spare time today :)), so I took a closer look at your problem. Okay, tried as you suggested. I downloaded Folder Lock version 7.2.0. on Windows 7 64 bit, fully updated, using nod32 64 bit version 6.0.316.0 with default settings, and with windows own firewall activated. After installation of Folder lock, in c:\Programs Files (x86)\Newsoftware's\Folder Lock, I created a Password as suggested,... everything else was not touched. I downloaded from my usb, a Elements 11 file on 2.15 GB, and placed in the Folder lock. Closed the lock, rebooted the machine, opened the Folder, extracted the files without any issues. And Lastly, I created, under Encrypt Files, a lock on max size 5 Gb, with format NTFS, placed and opened a 4.37Gb file without problems. Sorry but like Marcos, I can't recreate your issues with Folder Lock, using the above configuration.

Regards, Janus

Attached Files:

9. cupster

Thank you so much Janus, your expertise and kindness is greatly appreciated. The only difference I see is I am running windows xp 32 bit. But like I said ESET v4 works great.
    I have tried every setting in ESET v5 & V6 that I can think of and nothing works, but since 2 of you have it working there must be something that I am missing, obviously user error.
    I will keep trying and report back if I can find the problem.
    Thanks again and if you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

10. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello again cupster :))

A suggestion from me, as you are, like me a paying customer of Eset, then you can contact Eset Customer Support. It's free, of course, and the Phone Number is (619) 630-2300. (US based support). When you contact them, then you can refer to this thread, so they can see that you have patiently tried hard to find a solution. Hope the very best for you,... and if you find a solution, it could be very interesting to know what it was?

Regards, Janus

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  11. cupster

an excellent suggestion Janus, but I don't have a lot of faith in customer service, both folder lock and ESET gave me the run around.

I was also thinking that maybe the problem is in my Comodo firewall possibly limiting the rights of the ESET products, so now I am dealing with that scenario.

This forum is a great place to meet really smart energetic people that are willing to assist, and have no turf to protect so I am happy here.

Thanks again for the advice and assistance.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have asked ESET's QA department to see if they can reproduce this with Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x86.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. cupster

Thank you so much agoretsky, your efforts are greatly appreciated. As you said I have Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x86, and Comodo (free) firewall, I also have malwarebytes pro, but it is disabled.
    With ESET V4 installed all works fine, and making no changes except installing V5 or V6, the machine locks up, going back to V4 and all works again.
    The efforts of the wise and caring folks on this site is much appreciated, thank you to all that hae contributed.

14. agoretsky

Hello,

ESET's QA department confirms that running NewSoftware's FolderLock 7.20 with ESET Smart Security v6.0.316.0 under Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x86 results in the Folder Lock program becoming non-responsive, although Windows continues to function as normal.

The solution is to switch HIPS into Interactive Mode and create rules to allow Folder Lock to run. Several rules will need to be created, after which you can set HIPS back to Automatic mode and it should work just fine.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. cupster

Thank you so much agoretsky, you have been magnificent with your expertise and kindness. Your efforts are so much appreciated, I have been going nuts with this problem.
    I am not quite sure what is meant by "switch HIPS into Interactive Mode and create rules " but I am certainly willing to give it a try.
    Hopefully I will not screw anything up too bad when I try this.
    Thank you again for your very generous and insightful support.

16. cupster

Man do I need help...I installed Eset 6.X and changed HIPS into Interactive Mode and...the exact same thing happened when trying to open a folder lock vault.
    In interactive mode is it supposed to ask for rules or do we have to create them ahead of time?
    Maybe the computer needs to run for a while in interactive mode before trying to run a program like folder lock?
    Is it possible I am supposed to use learning mode?
    If the solution is intractive mode, why did it not work when I had HIPS disabled?
    Sorry for the noob questions, but this situation is very frustrating.
    Thanks for any help anybody an offer.

17. cupster

Ok to summarize the situation so far:
    Running windows XP 32 bit with the latest updates, NewSoftware's FolderLock 7.20 will not work with ESET Antivirus v6.0.316.0. Folder lock becomes unresponsive and eventually the computer must be unplugged to reset everything.
    The incompatibility has been confirmed by ESET QA.
    The problem is it occurs with HIPS disabled, so how will creating HIPS rules correct the problem. With HIPS in interactive mode, no prompts occur, folder lock fails in the exact same way. I even tried creating rules (HIPS>configure rules>add (and then all the folder lock .exe files) then granted full permissions.)
    Folder lock and ESET customer service were not helpful, likely because I do not know enough to explain the full problem.
    Anybody have any suggestions at all?
    ESET v4 works flawlessly, does anybody see any reason not to just go back to v4?

18. agoretsky

Hello,

Can you send me a private message with the ticket number from your call with ESET support? I will see if I can escalate the issue for you with ESET.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.