Don't Use Linksys Routers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

3. lotuseclat79

Hi Escalader,

Yes, the link to the article is https, because that is what it is. Is there a problem with that?

-- Tom

P.S. The plural of moose is moose - but, you knew that, right?

4. Escalader

Hi Tom:

5. Escalader

Tom:

Well no except that for me my setup won't connect to that site. IE 9 doesn't seem to like it. I'll try FF later. No big deal...

On moosies I'd have to say to you I don't care but I can tell you NOT to blow your horn at one in the spring on a one way road in a smart car.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for the article.
    I didn't know that Cisco had sold its router unit to Belkin.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The only thing i understood is that there are some serious vulnerabilities in some models. . . :D

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Don't you think "Don't use Linksys Routers" is a little much..for two routers? Every brand out there has vulnerabilities, some much worse than the issues raised in that "article". I can't even recommend some third party alternative firmware due to their vulnerabilities, and firmware is always the problem. It all boils down to the same advice, which is keep up on all patches, change passwords frequently and have other security measures in place. To me, it's much better advice than shunning an entire brand because of a couple of vulnerable products. Hell, if we did that, we'd be shunning every company out there.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good point, Mman79. I kinda thought the same thing.
    I doubt the issue impacts my (Little Modem On the Prairie) BEFSR41.
    But maybe that's simply wishful thinking.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You're in no more danger than I am with my quite old, wired model. There have been a few instances of routers specifically being attacked out in the wild, but there have been a few instances of "special attacks" on a lot of hardware and software. What are you going to do, switch brands and models each time one finds itself targeted? It would be ridiculous. There's nothing that can be done about hardcore, funded and targeted attacks. If it happens, you're screwed. Beyond that circumstance, sh** happens, protect yourself as best as you can without turning your system into a locked down brick and move on. Alternatively, unplug I guess.

I don't mean to knock the seriousness of vulnerabilities, really. But if you don't use this or change to that every time a security issue pops up, you'll end up changing software and hardware until the day you die.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The BEFSR41 Linksys I mentioned is a wired unit, hence the joking reference to Little Modem On the Prairie. Is yours an old Linksys as well?

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Hehe, I missed the reference. Yeah it is, a BEFSX41. Old, don't even think it's sold anymore and it still works flawlessly.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You can buy 'em on eBay... may even find a new one on there, though mostly they'll be used. I scored a brand new BEFSR41 there not long ago.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Eh, the day mine dies out I'll just buy whatever is available at Amazon or a brick and mortar. I've kinda slowed down on Ebay after some crappy experiences. I used to be one of those that would sit and do by the second bidding wars on there, lol. I haven't done that in years.

15. lotuseclat79

I agree with you all about the title of the article - but, that was what the author of it called it.

-- Tom

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, no attacks meant towards you. It's just a silly title and piece of advice in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.