Jitsi 2.0.4506.10553 has been released!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Jitsi 2.0.4506.10553 has been released. It was released on 3/06/13. Sorry for the late announcement. I'm just finding out myself. It supports OTR, and is opensource. I prefer it over all the other IM clients I have tried, and I have tried most of them. For more info look here -https://jitsi.org/Main/News

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Big Jitsi fan...even though I never used it. I'm most interested in it's encrypted video chat option, as an alternative to Skype. Uses SRTP IIRC. Have you tested it out on Windows yet? All of my contacts use Windows, so that's a necessary evil. Also, can you call IP to IP...or do you need to go the SIP route? Thanks for the update.

Ok, found this: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/RegistrarlessSIPAccount Pretty cool, combined with Hamachi, anybody could be on the local "LAN". VPN would work too.

PD

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you could suggest a tutorial (or even a FAQ) about using Jitsi for VoIP in p2p mode, that would be great. If it offered advice for doing so over VPN, that would be miraculous ;)

Edit: It would have helped if I had actually read PaulyDefran's post before asking :oops:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. tlu

tlu Guest

The problem with Hamachi is that it is proprietary. Thus, nobody can say for sure if the algorithms they use are secure. Besides, development for their Linux and OS X versions is dead. A good alternative is the open source RetroShare which is available for nearly every OS and which uses OpenSSL.

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Thanks. But ZRTP would be inside the tunnel, so it wouldn't matter if Hamachi was broken...you could just use it to make calls easier without SIP. I'll check out that software.

PD

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

This is a little late, but in case you have not heard. Jitsi 2.2.4603.9615 has been released! Once you go Jitsi you want go back lol You can find the change log at the link below. Its free, and it's open source. It has also been recommended by the developers of Tor for those of you that like your privacy. I myself absolutely love this chat client, and I think many of you will also.
    https://jitsi.org/Main/News

7. mgrant

mgrant Registered Member

Well since this post started, they're up to version 2.3 now. I just downloaded it and set up a SIP account. No luck in getting it to work.

One thing that disturbs me about Jitsi is that it's meant to be used through a service provider like google. This won't solve the problem of someone collecting meta data (who you're calling).

I've not found any sort of support forum for Jitsi.

Until the Jitsi folks can make something that works out of the box without needing to sign up for something else, it's not going to be a drop in replacement for Skype.

Michael Grant

8. mgrant

mgrant Registered Member

Actually I take it back, there is a jitsi mailing list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.