Pepper Flash for the Chromium

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JimboW, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

OK, finally figured this out. I was doing it wrong. Do not add PepperFlash folder to chrome-win32 Program Files, it does NOT work.:argh:

Here we go:
    Download latest offline installer for Chrome. I use Filehippo. Open archive with 7-zip and rip out PepperFlash folder and pdf.dll. Place pdf.dll in chrome-win32 which I put in Program Files. Because of the troubles I was having getting this to work I have finally decided on placing the PepperFlash folder in the root of C drive. Bingo.:thumb:
    Now for the command line switches:
    --ppapi-flash-path=C:\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

But wait. We also have to tell it what version we are on or it will display wrong in about:plugins. So currently:
    --ppapi-flash-version=11.6.602.171

So becomes:
    --ppapi-flash-path=C:\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll --ppapi-flash-version=11.6.602.171

In future you can find the version just by opening the manifest.json file in the PepperFlash folder with notepad. Remember to keep it updated.

Works perfectly. Checked with Process Explorer and ppapi flash is running under the Appcontainer/Untrusted integrity level.

I finally have my Chromium back.:)

2. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Actually, placing the pepperflash.dll in Program Files works fine. I'll bet your issue was probably because of the space in the folder name.

So placing quotation marks should fix that.

For example;
    --ppapi-flash-path=C:\Program Files\Chromium\pepflashplayer.dll

becomes

--ppapi-flash-path="C:\Program Files\Chromium\pepflashplayer.dll"

3. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Thanks for that, You are right! Can't believe I didn't see that. Rookie mistake. Especially after running all those DOS games back in Windows 95. LOL.o_O

Anyway, I've seen this qustion asked a few times over the web. Hopefully it helps someone.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Please excuse me for hijacking this thread.I use comodo dragon browser and im wondering if this browser has flash built-in and if so how do i access it.?
    Many thanks.:D

5. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

No, it has no flash built-in. You have to download the non-IE plugin from Adobe. However it will not run under the Chrome sandbox and the Untrusted integrity level. Pepper Flash is a more secure version too. If I was you, seeing as you’re running a Chrome-based browser, I would use the technique above, simply substituting the folder names for Comodo Dragon. Also, the PDF is as simple as placing it in the Dragon folder. I’ve tested this when test driving Dragon and it does work.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

That's the problem. Every time flash is updated, you would get a Chrome update, so there's no need to care for that yourself. I mean, what's the benefit of installing Chromium and adding PepperFlash manually? Apart from the fact that Chromium also lacks a sandboxed PDF reader, I don't see any privacy benefits of Chromium over Chrome.

Sorry, I don't get it ...

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Jimbo,

Thanks a lot. I have set UAC to deny elevation of unsigned programs, so Chromium, Evince (PDF reader), 7-ZIP and Classic Media Player are contained in a basic user environment. So for me running as (lazy) admin restricting an application to basic user has security benefits. :thumb:

To tweak things more: when you add policies for Chromium with regedit, see below you can even make it more robust :D See for explanation http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3 (when using Chromium replace Google\Chrome with Chromium in the policies section of the registry)

Usage just copy the text between --------- to notepad, save as chromium.reg

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium]
    "AllowOutdatedPlugins"=dword:00000000
    "AlwaysAuthorizePlugins"=dword:00000001
    "DownloadDirectory"="D:\\Downloads"
    "ProxyMode"="direct"
    "UserDataDir"="D:\\Internet\\Chrome\\User Data"
    "SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled"=dword:00000001
    "IncognitoModeAvailability"=dword:00000002
    "DefaultJavaScriptSetting"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium\DisabledPlugins]
    "1"="Chrome Remote*"
    "2"="Chromoting Viewer*"
    "3"="Google Update*"
    "4"="first part of plug-in name, followed by *"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium\EnabledPlugins]
    "1"="Adobe Flash Player*"
    "2"="Native Client*"
    "3"="Chrome PDF Viewer*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium\ExtensionInstallBlacklist]
    "1"="*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium\JavaScriptAllowedForUrls]
    "1"="192.168.0.1"
    "2"="192.168.0.100"
    "3"="[*.]COM"
    "4"="[*.]EDU"
    "5"="[*.]INF"
    "6"="[*.]ORG"
    "7"="[*.]NET"
    "8"="[*.]EU"
    "9"="[*.]NL"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ******** don't copy this, this explains the settings ************
    first two entries (AllowOutdatedPlugins and AlwaysAuthorizePlugins) make sure that outdated plug-ins are prevented from running

DownloadDirectory, prevent user from selecting a different download location than (in my case) "D:\Downloads"

Enforces user data location UserDataDir"="D:\\Internet\\Chrome\\User Data"

SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled remove for normal operation set to 1 to prevent saving browsing history (so you have some of the benefits of icognito while running normally)

Forces incognito mode : "IncognitoModeAvailability"=dword:00000002

Disables javascript: "DefaultJavaScriptSetting"=dword:00000002, allow high level domains in JavaScriptAllowedForUrls (so all websites having .com extension are allowed)

DIsabled plug-ins list which plug-ins are disabled, entry 4 shows the syntax, same for enabled plug-ins

ExtensionInstallBlacklist an * blacklists all extensions, making sure no extension can be installed

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. jonathanethernet

jonathanethernet Registered Member

Hello. I'm a noob, but even i know installing 'Adobe flash player' verses using chrome is a HUGE MISTAKE. I desperately want to use Comodo Dragon because I like it speed imporovemts over chrome, BUT I NEED TO GET pepperflash.dll working with dragon.Could some one step by step walk me through it? I kinda understand what Jimbo was saying but only partially. Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.