ZoneAlarm Free AV &FW Memory

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

As anyone noticed that the latest version is much lower in memory consumption?

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.000.054
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.054
    Driver version: 11.0.000.026
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.13
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1083908896
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.393.22

vsmon.exe used to be around 290k now its about 48k.

Ice

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Is your ZA working correctly? The DAT number should be much higher. Like 1111XXXX. Or may be you just installed it and not updated the AV?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

thanks Fax, you are right. I needed to update the virus definitions and vsmon.exe went up to 210k.

Ice

4. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Thanks for posting about this, Ice. I didn't realize there had been a version update. I run ZA-AV Free on my wife's laptop, and both my kids desktops. I know what I'll be doing tonight, now..;) I was also hoping you were right about the memory use, but oh well, still runs light enough as is.

5. bandaid

bandaid Registered Member

Has anyone been able to run ZA Antivirus + Firewall and MBAM at the same time?

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Just last week I installed the latest version and it's much quicker and responsive. Only one small glitch...I'm using Firefox 18.0 and apparently Zone Alarm wasn't making connection with Firefox...it stated it's protection was disabled. Anyone else experienced this? Sincerely...Securon

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, browser plug-in not yet there with FF18 only FF17. No ETA for the fix.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm just running the firewall - I see ForceField is running and there's a plugin for IE9, but nothing showing up in Cyberfox 18.01 (64 bit Firefox build) I thought ForceField was a browser sandbox. What is its function here? Also, when I installed I opted to not include the toolbar. Does it provide additional protection and if so can it be added, or would I have to uninstall/reinstall?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, the forcefield was including a sandbox feature and keylogging/screengrab jammer as well as a web site check (reputation). In current versions of ZA forcefield component only check the reputation of the site you are visiting based on a number of criteria (SSL certificate, creation date, presence in database of known malware/spyware distributor, etc) and blocks it (red banner) or warns you (yellow banner). It is indipendent from the toolbar that would additionally allow the actual checking of the credentials of any website you are visiting (site check button in the toolbar itself). I don't think it can be installed ex-post.

Currently it only supports IE 9/10 and Firefox 17.X.

Hope this helps

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation. When you say it only supports IE9/10 and FF17 is that true for the toolbar as well as the forcefield component? Would the toolbar be available in FF18?

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Mainly the forcefield component does not support FF18, not sure about the toolbar itself. Normally it is also killed by FF. In any case, without forcefield the toolbar is largely useless (unless you are interested in the search engine, shortcut to private mode or facebook link).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.