How anonymous am I? A VPN and Tor inside a Tails virtual machine

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

The vpn's ip inside the tails virtual machine (vm) is always different from the ip address of my host OS.

inside the tails VM

real ip ----> VPN ip #1---->Tor IP ---->Internet

inside my host OS

real ip-----> VPN ip # 2 ------->Internet

So the tails vm runs on a completely different internet connection. Only the real ip is shared between the host os and VM.

How anonymous am I? Is there a way to be even more anonymous on the internet?

Is this as anonymous as the lulzsec hackers? Or were they more anonymous than this?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I doubt the luzsec hackers use Tor for the (Clear) Internet - maybe too slow - I don't really know (i.e. conjecture on my part to answer your question). They may use it for .onion websites I would guess.

I would guess that lulzsec hackers probably use multiple VPNs strung together for greater anonymity.

As long as your real ip is not shared outside your VM setup - your setup looks fairly anonymous. The only question I would have is from your host OS, since it is not using Tor, and I am guessing that you don't exclusively use TLS (https) connections, then your traffic is not encrypted, and thus not very anonymous/private.

Only a truly lulzsec hacker would be able to give you a straight answer on this question, and obviously, since I am not a member of their group, my answer is speculative at best.

Welcome to Wilders Security Forums!

-- Tom

3. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

How do you string multiple VPNs together? That sounds interesting. I guess if I could do that ontop of tor it would make me more anonymous. So you are saying multiple VPNs chained together is more anonymous than a single VPN ontop of Tor inside a VM? Please explain.

How do I add https to all my tor traffic?

I thought tor nodes don't keep logs which will theoretically make them less traceable than most VPNs which do keep logs for long periods of time.

4. All the lulzsec guys are rotting in jail. Not a model bunch of guys to follow IMHO :blink:

5. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

That's quite simple.
    Just have two different providers. You start connection with VPN #1 and once connected, you connect via VPN #2.
    I do it regurarly, because I work from Home Office and I have a VPN provided by my company. But I also have a VPN for my personal use.
    Thus, every morning, I start first personal VPN. Once connected, I switch on company VPN to access my work stuff/email, etc.
    For sure I am not anonymous, but that's not my goal. I simply want my connection uber-protected.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

You do not need to add https to your tor traffic since it is already encrypted (the context of my comment - if you read my original reply very carefully was with regard to your host OS to the Internet presumably using a regular profile/browser not involving Tor).

You can use the Firefox add-on HTTPS Everywhere from eff.org in your normal browsing from the Host OS.

Not all VPNs afaik keep logs (which is the kind you should be using).

How - I have never done it, but I would imagine creating an encrypted tunnel from one through the next, etc.

As I mentioned previously, your scheme looks fairly anonymous in how you use Tor from a Tails VM.

-- Tom

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

All of them, really?

But that's because of the informer, right?

8. Yes all of them except 1 or 2.

Sabu the snitch or informer as you put it was flipped by the FBI and snitched on everyone. Really sad...

9. mirimir

Wow :eek:

Well, "Sabu the Snitch" does roll off the tongue, as they say ;)

Is he the only one who messed up in a technical way?

If so, the rest went down because they knew too much about each other.

10. aklies14

aklies14 Registered Member

something I don't understand is what took fbi so long to trace them or even the need to take sabu's help.They were using Internet from their home,used VPN,maybe 2 together and tor sometimes(cant use tor for everything for speed reasons),topiary giving interviews(cant use tor here for speed reasons,so only VPN).

Topiary even posted contact details to call him on twitter,number was goggle voice-mail,diverting to their unlimited skype number and then to 2 ip-hidden numbers,No idea how he did that but shouldn't be that hard to trace him.

take ip from twitter(or IRC admins or hacked server admins or million other places they were visiting)->details from VPN1->details from VPN2->Busted...at most in 15 days.

11. mirimir

I have no clue how Lulzsec members were operating. I don't hang with that crowd ;)

Topiary didn't hide. Everyone knew who he was. But I've never heard that he informed on any Lulzsec members, or even that he knew any real identities (until they were busted, of course).

Well, it was apparently harder than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.