sandboxie v4 out Jan 10, 2013

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by soccerfan, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

He does it again! :thumb:

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm liking the new version's description a lot! I was one of the Win 7 x64 users that couldn't turn on the experimental setting because of issues. Thumbs up!!!!!

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Working good so far in the few hours I have used it.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It never ceases to amaze me how 1 man can stay so on top of things. This was definitely a much needed evolution of the product considering the changing landscape of Windows OS's (namely PatchGuard).

However, as an XP user that has no desire to change OS's anytime soon, for me personally I'm not feeling a burning desire to upgrade to v4. I'm sure it will run fine with it and I won't experience any real problems. But still, this one is obviously built from the ground up with Win7/8 in mind. Whereas v3 was designed specifically toward my criteria as an end user, with 32-bit XP.

It was an obvious and needed evolution of the product, again, but I think I may be sticking with v3.76 for as long as I'm on XP. It may just join the likes of Comodo FW/D+ 5.10, or Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325. Unless of course Tzuk continues to develop a 32-bit version independent of these changes he's implementing for the 64-bit builds.

This is great for the 64-bit crowd though.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. woomera

woomera Registered Member

finally, been waiting for this. thanks for the info.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Me too.
    It's an incredible achievement,maintaining and actively developing SBIE all these years,a real labour of love from Tzuk.:thumb:

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Indeed, the man deserves all of the accolades that he is constantly receiving here at Wilders.

Acadia

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Did you guys update over 3.xx or uninstall first?

10. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

"It never ceases to amaze me how 1 man can stay so on top of things." Not only that, but years ago I paid $15 for the lifetime, unlimited number of PCs license. It's protecting the old XP, a Vista laptop and the W7 I built this past spring. He must live a popper's life at those rates!

11. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Over the top works fine. To keep your settings, choose "Overwrite".

Bo

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Worked fine, thanks. I may have to buy some more licenses sometime just to give Tzuk some more money. This is one of the best one man projects I have ever seen. :thumb:

13. bo elam

Yes, Sandboxie its as good as it comes. By the way, Firefox18 feels great running under this version.

Bo

14. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Bo,

I'm running W7x64 and SBIE 3.76 so I have enabled Experimental Protection. I would like to retain my other settings, so can I still install the v4.01 Beta over v3.76, or in my case would it be best to first uninstall v3.76? o_O

Cruise

15. bo elam

Hey Cruise, you should be fine doing it over the top. The only time that I have upgraded by uninstalling, reinstalling was once that I actually downgraded versions. That was the one and only time in the four years of using SBIE that I thought that (maybe) I was experiencing an issue.

Bo

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Agree.

17. roady

roady Registered Member

Couldn't agree more! :thumb:
    Although tzuk is really generous about his license conditions,I too felt the need to support "tha man" with an extra license.
    This is 1 of the software developers who should be supported by all of us who can spend a few $$....

18. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks Bo.

19. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Dang. Seems he's really got a handle on PatchGuard. I wish he could help Ilya with that problem...

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Tzuk's betas don't usually include this sort of warning, and since this one does, I think I will break from tradition and NOT install a SBIE beta until there has been some testing by the faithful.

I sure admire and appreciate how this dev handles his business.
    SBIE keeps improving, so say the very least. :thumb:

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So basically he enabled a permanent permission / drop my rights feature in v4? :D

22. lws

lws Registered Member

Windows 7 64bit. Installed over the previous version 3.76 and running with no problems and Sandboxie Control under EMET as well. Using Palemoon as my default browser and Comodo Dragon Portable on a USB stick. Everything is running smooth. Many thanks to Tzuk for a great program. :thumb:

23. luciddream

Yep... if he accepted donations I'd send him some coin.

24. luciddream

Yep... and just think that there are TEAMS of developers/companies with all sorts of resources at their disposal perplexed by how to get around this limitation.

1 man swept it aside.

As far as I know he also personally responds to every email himself, and in a timely fashion.

I think Tzuk is an android, personally.

25. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

For those doing an over the top installation on Win 8 x 64 I had an issue with Forced Folder functionality (see http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14455).

This was resolved by uninstalling 3.76 and re-installing 4.01. It takes nothing more than a re-boot and you can save the config file so the new version retains your settings.

If you're having issues you may want to try that. Worked for me at any rate and this version is very different under the hood for x 64 at any rate.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.