For those who can't wait for Cyberfox or Waterfox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cimmerian, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

For any of you who use either 64 bit variant of Firefox in the title don't want to wait for those builds, this site is up to date..

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~htguard/

I've used his Firefox build, it's not bad, not quite as fast as Cyberfox. There are also 64 bit builds of Thunderbird and Sea Monkey available. I've been using his Thunderbird version for about a month now, and it works very well. I haven't tried the Sea Monkey edition, but I'm sure it's good, as his other builds are.

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Cyberfox is relatively new when compared to the others.
    Waterfox hasn't been updated since v16.01 and had it's share of backlash from some users when it bundled AVG Security Toolbar (now removed).

As for other builds, I knew of Lawlietfox and Tete's Atelier builds but not this one...

Have a look here:
    4 Firefox rebuilds feed the need for speed

Anyway...here are 2 other options..

1. Palemoon x64.

Of course, I'm pretty sure most here would know this one. It is one of the well-known variants (and for a good reason).

While Palemoon is useful for those who prefer 'optimized' browser by cutting down features and such, it's also one to consider for those who're slightly more "conservative" in regards to release cycle. Despite the version no, security fixes are back-ported. The maintainer is also one of the 'earliest' to provide an unofficial build and so the project has a longer history compared to others. Not to mention, it has it's own forum so you can get support there if the need arises.

2. XhmikosR's builds for Firefox

This build is slightly less-known but there are a few interesting details...

XhmikosR is the "Installer Maintainer" for Process Hacker and has been involved in a few open-source projects including MPC-HC and RegShot. XhmikosR has also made 64-bit builds for other programs such as SumatraPDF. You can find those here

If you prefer to be as close to the original Mozilla Firefox, you might want to try this build. From what I can see, it retains Firefox branding so if you're one who's concerned...there *might* be issues with Mozilla's T&C.

3. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Many of these are just taking existing code, then running it through a compiler (V-Studio, etc) with X64 switches enabled. Sometimes the X64 switches don't work right, and without the programming skill to fix it - the versions will fall behind. While this can at times, provide speed boosts, I haven't really done any benchmarks that show a big enough improvement. Also there is a reason Mozilla and other devs don't use the X64 switches - they can cause issues. So even if you see a +/- 1-5% speed increase, you would be better off using Chromium for a 25-40% speed increase over Firefox to be honest. That's a real speed increase without potentially game-breaking switches on a compiler, or older versions, etc.

Also note about XhmikoR's website;

Attached Files:

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

We all know the advantage Chrome/Chromium has when it comes to speed but this has nothing to do with it. I believe the thread starter wanted to introduce and discuss variants of Firefox for those who insist on using a 64-bit build so let's stick to that...

As for the XhmikoR link I gave, anyone can always check it with VirusTotal URL analysis, URLVoid, Comodo Site Inspector and other link scanners. Most would report it as 'safe'.

5. Cimmerian

Well said, and you're correct, Chrome shouldn't be a part of this thread. Thanks for posting the links, there were a couple of FF variants I wasn't aware of, I'll certainly be checking them out in the near future. Right now, I'm using the HT Guard build, it's actually pretty good. V18 is markedly better than 17.0.2, snappier all around. I'm looking forward to comparing it to Cyberfox & Waterfox when they're compiled. Funny how the developers of each of those variants seem to have issues with their new builds, but HT Guards developer gets his out almost immediately, with no apparent flaws.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is there a problem with Waterfox 18? I just assumed it takes a little time after a new version of Firefox is released because Mr Alex is a one man show :)

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think the issue is that there is no Waterfox 18. He's two versions behind now.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

He explains why he didn't release WF v17 here:

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/development.php

He also says there will be a v18. We'll have to wait and see. WF v16.01 works well for me so I don't mind waiting a little.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. Cimmerian

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Cyberfox 18.0 is finally out but the installer is buggy - the installer won't run the install program :thumbd:

11. Cimmerian

That's odd...did you by chance try to install 18 on top of 17? You have to uninstall 17 first.

12. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Here is another x64 Firefox variant. https://code.google.com/p/lawlietfox/ This guy put the Firefox even before the official release :D You can also see htguard page and others in external links section. I am trying Cyberfox for fun for now.

13. NormanF

It should not be necessary to uninstall the previous version. I did that and it appears the Cyberfox 18.0 installer is damaged. It will need to be fixed. The Cyberfox 17.0.1 installer ran with no problems and successfully re-installed Cyberfox.

14. Cimmerian

At least for this release of Cyberfox, the developer says to uninstall the old version before updating, see posts #1 & 151 here:

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/48631-Cyberfox-18-0-0-x64-bit-version-of-Firefox/page19

This was mentioned in an earlier Wilders thread, which I guess you didn't see, can be seen here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339501

Sorry for any confusion! :(

15. NormanF

The developer needs to be told the installer isn't compiled correctly and shows only the "cancel" button. The "next" button is grayed out in 18.0. Again, this is a Mozilla build and installing over a previous release should present no issues.

16. Cimmerian

As I'm at work, and won't be able to install Cyberfox for several more hours, I can't comment on the installer yet. I took a look at the Cyberfox forum, and no one is complaining about any installer issues. So we're left with a couple of scenarios here. Perhaps when you uninstalled Cyberfox, you didn't get rid of all the leftovers, and the remains interfered with your install. I know Cyberfox creates a folder in your Users/Your name/AppData/Local folder. It's not named Cyberfox, I don't remember the name offhand, but it's left behind after an uninstall. You should recognize it as being different. Maybe you got a corrupt installer download? If not, feel free to post at the Cyberfox forum, the developer responds to issues pretty quickly.
    Also, I'd disagree, and say this is not a Mozilla build, rather it's based on Mozilla source code.

17. Cimmerian

Cyberfox downloaded & installed without a hitch..:thumb: Really quick & responsive, blows the HT Guard build out of the water. Very impressive so far.

18. Bodhitree

I reported that as a false positive to Bullguard for investigation. Hopefully they can clear it up. But since they use Commtouch resources, it would be up to Commtouch to remove it - all of the big boys use Commtouch. But BG may end up Whitelisting it if the investigation clears it. Anyway, back to the topic, I just wanted to post an update on that.

My only problem with Cyberbox is the hideous looking forum, and terrible logo for the product. It all seems like amateur-hour, and alt-hack type of stuff. Not really trusting of such things. Maybe if they added a big dose of professionalism it would take off.

19. Bodhitree

Jeez this version is FAST.. I mean.. Insanely fast.. It's loading pages faster then tweaked Chromium, and pushing my connection to the fullest. Really liking this one so far, may be a keeper!

Another thing I like about it, this doesn't require installation, or additional libraries. It's just an archive you unzip and ready to go.. Very much like Chromium, and very pleasing. Still testing. I noticed in about:config all of the good tweaks are already done to it as well.

20. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So for now this is it. Agree the Cyberfox icon is hideous. My wife is afraid of it, although she only knows how to start to browse by hitting the quick launch Sandboxie icon. lol I'd have stayed with Cyberfox for a while but Sandboxie doesn't have it integrated for direct access outside the sb, thus it can't save bookmarks, etc. All the Firefox/sandboxie settings have remained the same with this.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

What the hell is up with the flood of Firefox wannabes and the hunt for them? I mean are we now just saying screw it and toying with browsers that some guy just tweaked or concocted down in the basement lab. More power to those people, but I'm not much on taking a chance with someone I've never heard of just plopping his creation down in a forum or uploading some file to a personal spot. I'm aware FF is open source, but that doesn't mean every Dick and Tom has any business playing with the code or making config tweaks that were never meant to be. There's always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part FF is coded the way it is and set up the way it is because people who actually knew what they were doing decided it was the right way to go about it. As to this "LawlietFox", it was uploaded Jan 5th by the look of things. Long before FF 18 left Beta. So, am I to trust this guy went in and re-uploaded his tweaked official version, or is it behind?

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Um, okay, so this thing is fast, I'll give it that. But, it's based on the Nightly build of FF 18. That's a long damn time ago.

23. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You should be able to save bookmarks. SBIE doesn't have the necessary setting in Applications>Web browser>Firefox for Cyberfox but you ll be able to save bookmarks by allowing File access>Direct access to the files in Cyberfox where bookmarks are saved.

In Firefox, bookmarks are stored in places.sqlite and bookmarks. Those files are in the Firefox profile folder. If Cyberfox uses the same named files, all you have to do is allow Direct access to those files outside the sandbox.

If Cyberfox uses files with other names to store bookmarks, find out what they are and allow access to them.

Bo

24. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you!

25. Bodhitree

Yeah it's real fast..(LawlietFox) Like - Chrome fast.. 22 hours of running it, no crashes, no hands, no slowdowns. Speed is right up there, if not slightly higher than Chrome. This guy is a tweaker that knows his business. This is the first version of firefox, or derivative I have kept on my box for more than an hour. See what I think it is, this guy makes special builds for himself that eliminate the holes, fix the bugs, and speed the thing up magnificently, then some convinced him to quietly put up a download link. I love how there is no installation, I hate installations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.