Comodo virtual kiosk and sandboxie.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by The Red Moon, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ive recently downloaded and installed the new version of CIS version 6.I notice it offers to run my browser sandboxed which i am doing at the moment.
    Before i was running my browser under sandboxie.Would it be safe to assume i can uninstall sandboxie and just use the comodo sandbox.?

How do these two products compare?.
    Thanks.:cool:

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Sandboxie is time tested.

SB also allows much better granular config and preconfigs for particular applications. You can easily allow things like bookmarks to carry over to disc etc.

Comodo sandbox seems slightly faster though and creating shortcuts to the virt app is cake.

I would try Comodo to see if it floats your boat before you boot SB. It easily could go either way.

3. guest

guest Guest

if you are browse only, Comodo virtualization is ok even if it cruelly lacks of options.

if you have sandboxie paid , keep it, since you have more control over what happen in the sandbox.

If you use SB free, you can remove it, you will spare resources.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's why I personally would say keep it,for now at least.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Sandboxie is akin to a wife while Comodo's offering is akin to a new bride.

Your wife nags at you if you haven't given her the money to pay bills but you know what she's like - you've loved her even before the day you married her and so far, she's been loyal and good to you.

Your new bride brings back the excitement and you get back the feeling of falling in love again but she lacks the experience and it needs time to build trust in your relationship as it grows.

6. The Red Moon

:thumb: love this analogy.Im only engaged at the moment lol

7. andyman35

Great analogy there :thumb: Shame the World ended today and it won't gain the credit it deserves :p

8. The Red Moon

Only difference im seeing is that comodo sandbox does not offer a recovery option like sandboxie does which isnt really a big issue for me.other than that the comodo sandbox is working fine so far.:thumb:

9. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Additionally to said above I can say that paid SBIE has multiple sandboxes you can tune in different ways. Comodo's sandbox does not.

10. guest

guest Guest

You can run multiples sandboxes with CIS but you can't tune them

11. Solarlynx

Really? How's that? All programs go to separate sandboxes?

12. guest

guest Guest

you have the "shared folder", sure it is not automatic.

13. guest

guest Guest

yep, you have to use the context menu entry. For example i ran my browser sandboxed while opening another application in a different sandbox.

Sandboxie does better because you can set each sandbox's options differently.

14. Solarlynx

Thanx. That's good.

15. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

You can't compare Sandboxie with any other program.Also it has a lifetime license which costs around 40 USD and can be used on any number of computers you personally own.Or you can the free version which lacks Forced Programs feature and ability to run more than one sandbox.Very easy to setup and use.

16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

That is also my opinion. To me, the old proverb "Speak softly and carry a big stick" describes SBIE perfectly.

I congratulate Comodo, I am happy for Comodo users for this new feature in their program. Today is in baby stage but hopefully it will get better as it ages. If you are a Comodo user and don't use SBIE or any other virtualization program, it would behoove you to learn and use Kiosk, IMO.

Bo

17. andyman35

SBIE has such a lot going for it,apart from it's years of development (a labour of love by Tzuk),it is such an economical code with no unnecessary additions that it makes bugs/exploits a rarity.Maybe in 2 or 3 years Comodo Virtual kiosk will be a true alternative,but for now years of field-tested,quality protection rules the day imo.

18. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Somehow I don't think Comodo's Virtual Kiosk will ever match Sandboxie's configurability levels, restrictions levels, security/safety level, usability, impenetrability/foolproofness level, protection level and similar.

19. andyman35

You're probably right.
    I'm unashamedly a fanboy when it comes to SBIE,(the best piece of security-related software ever written imo).I'm liking the way CIS is developing its virtualization a lot,but for critical stuff I just trust SBIE that bit more.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Your happiness will end soon . . . :eek: :D :argh: :ninja:

21. The Red Moon

Your probably right lol:'(

22. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Being married to a good woman for years will teach you the true meaning of love. ;).

Later...

23. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

I have tried SBIE time & again...and just never understood it very well in terms of doing more with it than just the very simplest things.

As said here earlier, it is one-of-a-kind and seems to have no competitor(s) at all.

Comodo virtual kiosk would interest me if it could be gotten independently of CIS somehow as I am very happy using NOD32 AV along with Online Armor as I don't ever really do anything very radical.

My pastime or hobby if it can be called that is goofing around with any new program that I find interesting to see if it can be extracted & run in a standalone manner, and failing that I've tried portable-izing sometimes with very limited success.

It is a very happy thing for me when I find a really useful freeware that can simply be extracted, re-arranged a bit to live in as few folders as possible, then just copied where I want it rather than running any installer at all.

Contrary to this are programs which require dot-net (I quit that after v2.x) as it seems many new freewares are now requiring dot-net v4, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible - but I miss some nice offerings as a result.

Back to the original point:
    I seriously wish that SBIE had a serious competitor which does not require an entire suite of things to be installed in order to get it.

Best Wishes to All.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.