DNSCrypt (Open DNS)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TomAZ, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Anyone using the GUI version of DNSCrypt with Win XP SP3? Just wondering if it's working pretty well or if you've had problems?

2. jedisct1

jedisct1 Registered Member

The GUI is still in very early stages and it ships with an obsolete version of the proxy.

Unless you really need the GUI, I'd recommend you run dnscrypt as a service.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you do that?

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

-https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy#installation-as-a-service-windows-only

You need to download the command line version. -https://github.com/downloads/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy/dnscrypt-proxy-win32-1.2.0.zip

5. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I think I might be getting in over my head with this one, but what do you do with this once you download it?

EDIT: Sorry didn't read both links first -- guess it's been explained.

Once installed, will this service start automatically with each new reboot?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. jedisct1

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Does the proxy now have built in WiFi roaming support? I'm unsure why you're recommending it.

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What's the primary difference between the command line (Service) version and the GUI installer version? How do you decide on one over the other -- do they both work equally well?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  9. jedisct1

The proxy answers DNS queries. You can then configure any interface to use it (it listens to 127.0.0.1 by default) as a DNS server.

The GUI ships with an early beta version of the proxy that shouldn't be used. It has known bugs, limitations and vulnerabilities. Beta versions were really only intended for testing. The code has been basically rewritten from scratch before version 1.0. The old code base should be considered unsupported.

The GUI isn't actively maintained either: https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-win-client/commits/master

So until it gets updated (which will happen), and it ships with a stable version of dnscrypt, the GUI shouldn't be used. Or use Noxwizard's one, that works with any stable version.

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Where can you download Noxwizard's interface and how do you install/use it once it's downloaded?

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You can get it from here.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I tried downloading DnsCrypt again and I'm finding the website a confusing mess. Would someone kindly link directly to the file(s) that are needed? TIA

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

DNSCrypt for Mac or Windows can be downloaded from this page.

14. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Just curious, are you upgrading the version you currently have?

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you install the Noxwizard GUI to run with the Service version of DNSCrypt?

16. jedisct1

There is only one version of dnscrypt, that you can start as a Windows service or as a command.

Noxwizard's GUI doesn't support running it as a service yet. He plans to eventually implement it, but he said he doesn't have much time to work on it yet.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I'm installing it on my laptop and didn't want to use the older .4 beta EXE I saved.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

No just adding it to another computer. They're still at 0.0.6 I'm hoping they will release an update soon that eliminates the UAC prompt.

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you install this?

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's a shame more effort/progress isn't being put toward this project. It's a really great concept IMO. I'd use it if it wasn't so raw and buggy.

... and also if it didn't require .NET Framework

21. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I have a somewhat unusual question for someone in the know about this sort of stuff.

I just installed the Win 32 GUI version of DNSCrypt. However, after reading some things in this thread (and others), it sounds as if the GUI version (0.0.6) does not include the most up-to-date version of "dnscrypt-proxy".

So, here's the question... if I were to also install the command line version of DNSCrypt (1.2.0), would it overwrite the Service component that's included with the GUI version and be compatible with the the GUI interface and tray icon?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  22. jedisct1

This is not going to work.

The GUI depends on obsolete command-line flags that were only present in early beta versions of dnscrypt, and that don't exist any more in stable versions.

The source code is available on Github. Maybe someone can take over the project and update it. Noxwizard's GUI is also open source. Making it start dnscrypt as a service might be easier.

The Mac GUI has a lot more features, but it's written in shell script so porting it to Windows is not really an option, it would be way too slow.

23. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Once you download the Noxwizard DNSCrypt-WinClient ZIP, how do you install it?

24. jedisct1

25. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Is there a way to have the Noxwizard DNSCrypt GUI launch at bootup -- already "started" (with previously used settings) and minimized with an icon in the system tray?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.