NOD32 and Thunderbird

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by wolliballa, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

I know this has been discussed on various places already, but what is still missing is a clear roadmap when NOD32 will again be fully integrated in Thunderbird.
    Starting with Vista more and more people switched to alternative mail clients like Thunderbird and would like to see full integration of AV products to scan incoming mail both on POP and IMAP and not only at the point when you really touch attachments by opening/ saving.

Anything to come in the NEAR future o_O

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Which email clients are compatible with Windows ESET security products.
    Thunderbird integration is not available at this time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. wolliballa

That is exactly what I meant. The list was known to me and Thunderbird 5.0 is far back in the past............
    All I was asking was a timing roadmap when e.g. this gap will be closed as people get frightened by Thunderbirds message after updates, that AV add-on will not integrate...........

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are no plans to support Thunderbird unless Mozilla returns to the normal development cycle.

5. wolliballa

At least this is a clear message.
    But what is a 'normal' update cycle and who determins, what is supposed to be normal ;-)
    I would believe any SW-Manufacturer can choose his numbering system, some do it that way, some do it the other. Between the last 5.x and the current 16.01 there is not so much difference as one could suggest just by measuring the numbering gap (this is not '11' major releases), especially when it comes to standard mail protocols and message formats
    If there is no real technical issue, NOD32 could just use a don't care when checking revision number. Has someone tried this)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not about numbering at all. Problematic are substantial changes made to every new build every few weeks, preventing the plug-in from working properly and requiring the code to be revamped every now and then.

7. siljaline

I would agree with ESET on this as Mozilla releases new software every few weeks. Unlike Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook and other email clients, the software is patched only several times yearly.

8. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

9. wolliballa

Agree, so one could start again to integrate NOD32. Nevertheless updates to are still coming via Firefox development .....(as again today -> 16.02 )

10. siljaline

11. siljaline

12. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Yes but I think it was only updates for bugs, security and stability maintenance and to follow the numbering of Firefox

We'll see what happens in the coming months.

13. siljaline

Thunderbird releases and development, as far as I know, are separate from Mozilla Firefox. Only ESET can make the determination when Mozilla Foundation reduces the frequency of releases in order to fully support the software. Many are waiting for this to happen in order to allow complete integration of the two.
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/16.0/releasenotes/
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/15.0.1/releasenotes/
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/15.0/releasenotes/

14. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.