NOD32's unpacking engine?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kobra, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

What kind of unpacking engine does NOD32 have, or does it have any at all?

Curious, its missing repacked baddies for me.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Virus detection in compressed or protected executable files, such as Pklite, Lzexe, Diet, Exepack, CPAV, UPX, AsPack, FSG, Petite, Neolite.

Support of many archive formats, e.g. ZIP, RAR, ARJ, LZH, LHA

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Kobra if you name the baddies and the run-time packers used to pack them, it'll surely enlighten us. if you are testing or in a real-life situation, please explain in detail so that we'll all learn a little and who knows might be able to shed a little light. as far as i know NOD32 didn't have problems with packers. it even detected the version of the packer used to compress the files.

oh by the way Marcos CPAV is Central Point Antivirus which adds a checksum to every file it scans. if there is a packer by that name please let us know. no offense meant i just want to know.

4. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

I'm working with a repacked Trojan that seems to have several different rebased baddies inside it. Heres my results so far..

So far:

NOD32: Missed (including /AH command line option for Advanced Heuristics)
    BitDefender: Missed
    BOClean: Missed
    TDS3: Missed
    Ewido: Missed
    Trojan Remover: Missed
    Trend Online: Missed
    Panda Full Edition: Missed
    Antivir(H+Bdev): Missed (Including their new deep heuristic engine)
    Symantec Corporate: Missed (yes, super heuristics were ON)
    PCcillin(trend): Missed
    e-Trust: Missed

Dr.Web: Found
    F-Secure: Found
    McAfee: Found
    KAV5: Found (note, their online scan MISSED, but installed product got)
    KAV4.5: Found

I sent the sample packed/rebased file over to NOD32, BOClean, BitDefender and some others already. So far, only Kevin at BOClean has replied, and issued new updates to cover it, there was several rebased/hacked baddies inside hiding that nothing else picked up either! Only the 4 progs above managed to pick everything up so far.

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

what about the versions of those AV products? all those were updated upto which date?? how many trojans do you have in that collection? can you giveout the KAV and McAfee namings of those "baddies"? thank you.

6. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

All the latest versions.. The bundle part of the trojan was picked up by 4 of the products as various things such as:

MultiDropper-FD
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}
    Trojan horse Dropper.ExeBundle.AC
    Trojan.Muldrop.660
    TrojanDropper.Win32.ExeBund

However, inside this packed bundle, with the dropper, are several new "Mystery Meats" as BOClean folks called it when they disected it. I'm assuming this to mean rebased/hacked based on what they told me.

7. nil

nil Guest

What about ace, cab, tar, tar.gz? I did some tests with eicar txt file and noticed that NOD32 don't detect the eicar test virus within those formats.

Can we expect a support of ace, cab, tar, tar.gz in future versions? I think it isn't less important than other formats.

Regards

8. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

cab will be supported, I don't know about others... But AMON will catch infected files on unpacking...

9. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

AH uses a generic unpacker, so, Ah can analyze others format than he aboves and also can analyze some packed files that are packed with a new utility never seen before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.