SAS alternative

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jo3blac1, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

So what are my SAS alternatives out there? Here and the requirements:
    1) must offer active protection
    2) must be 64 bit native and not compatible

2. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

90% offer active protection. But you really only need that if you distrust your real time antivirus. As far as being native 64 that is not necessary to remove malware on demand. You indicted you want to replace SAS. Well SAS and SAS Pro are entirely different. The Free version does not offer active protection. You can use the following:

1. MBAM Pro
    2. HMP

For Free On Demand Scanners use:

1. MBAM
    2. HMP
    3. CCE
    4. EEk
    5. Panda Cloud Cleaner

3. jo3blac1

I know, but Im trying to keep my set up pure native 64 bit as much as I can.

4. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

MSE is the only security program I am aware of that is a true 64 bit program.

5. jo3blac1

hmmm, I already got COMODO AV, so MSE won't work. I guess HMP start up scan should suffice.

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Comodo AV with D+ should be enough... as for spyware on demand scanner i like spybot portable and adwcleaner.

7. Aventador

Just use CIS. Why only use CAV.

8. Aventador

Spybot and Ad-Aware? Is that a joke?

9. zip

zip Registered Member

Turn off fw, hips, and realtime scanning in Outpost Security Suite Free.

Just use on demand scanning. It should auto-update once a day.

It is 64bit. :) Good updates.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Not Ad-Aware, this:
    -http://general-changelog-team.fr/en/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner-

Believe it or not Spybot portable is one of the best for removing spyware/adware (i use it daily in several different computers). Just like Combofix, it's a very underestimated application.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  11. Aventador

My bad...............I have about 30 different portable malware removal tools. Not one of them is Spybot. Mainly cause the program is over a year old without a new version.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  12. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

13. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Replacing SAS is not hard -- since SAS does so little.

MBAM Pro is the obvious answer.

But your criteria could also be satisfied by Sandboxie.

14. fredvries

fredvries Registered Member

My thoughts:
    - Spybot has seriously lagged behind and has only just released a new version after years of stagnation.
    - LavaSoft is gone over to the dark side. See here.
    - SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) is a bit redundant because spyware isn't a real threat anymore. Yes, spyware still exists but fake antivirus programs or banking trojans are much more harmful.

What do you need?
    - Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is nowadays regarded as a very good and free antivirus
    - Malwarebytes Antimalware is a perfect addition and focusses on fake antivirus programs and related stuff
    - You might want to add programs to keep your vulnerable programs updated, like Heimdal Agent or the
    ~ Removed the Alternative Flash Player Auto-Updater link - see http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer ~
    - Furthermore a program such as Secure Banking will keep your money where it belongs

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree:)

16. jo3blac1

lol lavasoft has gone to the dark side.... I remember the good old days when ad aware and spybot where considered the top notch programs. I guess in today's world only buying lifetime licenses from big companies makes sense.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and even some times when using these monster of programs will or may criple your computer even worse than malware :) and the slow down too:)

18. fredvries

fredvries Registered Member

Yes, I recently tested the latest in a string of betas from SpyBot and it was huge and slowed my system considerably. Which was very disappointing because I was involved with translating the program when it was in its infancy. :ouch:

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Actually spyware is still rampant - every rootkit that logs your bank information is spyware - any product (threat) that "spies" on your personal information is spyware - so SUPERAntiSpyware is not redundant at all - you need to run more than one solution as no product can catch everything on a given day.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Judging by the nature of this thread would it be safe to assume that SAS is a dying product and not perceived to be a viable solution to todays ever evolving threats.?
    Is it safe to assume this.?

Just like spybot and ad-aware were great products in their heyday but sadly are now dwindling away into almost complete obscurity.It would be very sad if SAS were to go down the same road.

As far as spybot and ad-aware are concerned they are sunk in the water if we are to be perfectly honest about it,i mean who actually uses these products as a first and main line of defense.?And even as on demand secondary scanners they seem inadequate for todays computing environment.

I just hope this will not be the case for SAS.:blink: .

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

That is absolutely not the case - we are processing thousands of samples per day, each and every day. We have expanded our research team, will be releasing our centrally managed version and working on version 6.0 with lots of improvements.

We target real zero-day threats in each of our definition releases!

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you for the positive response.:thumb: :.
    Ive used SAS as an on-demand scanner for the past year and would hate to see it going downhill.I sincerely hope the product does indeed improve.
    Thanks again for the re-assurance.:thumb:

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You are still going with the assuming thing?:blink: SAS is long gone history.:( :shifty:

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware is FAR from "long gone history". Our product recently received a CNET Download.com 5-Star review, we are downloaded millions of times per year and often catch threats that other products miss. That is a far cry from long gone history.

CNET Link to Verify Review:
    http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html

If you don't like our product, that is ok, we respect your opinion, but you seem to troll around these threads and bash the product.

SUPERAntiSpyware is an effective solution in the fight against malware/spyware/trojans, etc. No single solution is enough, and you need multiple products to help keep your system safe - we are one of those products.

25. DBone

DBone Registered Member

My experience with SAS: About 2 years ago, I participated in an invitation beta test of version 5.0, and while I didn't do any malware prevention/removal testing, I did test usability and the effects on the system. It was nothing that anyone else couldn't have done, and I'm sure that the few things that I did report SAS probably already knew.

Every time I reported even the smallest issue, Nick always replied to my email, with a personal email thanking me for my help. At the end of the beta, I received an email from Nick, again thanking me for my time, and he also gave me a lifetime license for SAS Pro.........I never asked, or hinted in any way, Nick just gave it to me. Now I don't know about you all, but this behavior is far from what I see now days for almost any other company.

SAS has been getting better, and the new version 5.6.1008 is on one of my machines now and has zero impact on the system in terms of slowdowns, RAM or I/O.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.