Manjaro Linux - Arch based but noob friendly !

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Looks very interesting! Although ... I'm always sceptical about distros with such small development teams ...:doubt:

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Give Chakra a try and you will be surprised how well small dev teams sometimes work.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

I don't doubt that. My problem is that small teams can easily break apart and the distro can vanish overnight. I've said it before, and I stick to it: In order to maintain organisational stability, you have to have a minimum number of team members. There are always times of sickness and holidays, or team members are busy with their normal job. Someone must stand in for them, and this might be difficult.

Again, I don't doubt that Chakra or Manjaro are nice distros. But I hesitate to view as long-term "investments".

5. linuxforall

On that regard I fully agree with you, before Chakra became my darling in rolling release, sidux/siduction was another one and sadly the predicament of small teams came true. However the pleasure of rolling release like Chakra is well worth the risk, however for my main machines it will always remain Ubuntu. Another rolling release that has survived test of time and now is quite polished even thought it too has a small team is Sabayon which now comes with a Gentoo hardened kernel for all security buffs.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Manjaro really is 'noob' friendly. Even I could easily install the 3.6 kernel in 0.81 while retaining the 3.5 kernel, simply by sudo mhwd-kernel linux35 linux36 no ; the 'no' means that I want to keep the 3.5 kernel.
    After reboot in Vbox I then installed the linux36-virtualbox-guest-modules followed by modprobe vboxguest and modprobe vboxvideo.

manjaro 3.6 kernel.jpg

7. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're being way too modest Ocky :)

8. linuxforall

This one is now tempting me, guess will try it out and see how it compares to Chakra, PhilM is ex Chakra dev.

9. Try it, it's really really really good.

10. linuxforall

Will do after I download it tonight.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

So far so good. For a better menu editor one can use menulibre - I can't see alacarte.

Last screenshots. Firewall Builder is too complex for me - geared more towards server setups I think, so just enabled ufw, although not necessary due to router.

manjaro boot.png

And..

http://www.imagebam.com/image/702d90215794163

ufw rules.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.