Why Do I Need Java?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Evidently the latest update of Java contained a flaw that could allow exploits.
    I am not sure why I need it.
    Can someone give me some information as to what it does that we need? Googlng did not help much.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if you are not sure why you need it it's probably because you don't.

remove it from your system.

personally, the only reason i would keep java on a machine is if it was needed for work.

Java is a framework, much like Python or .Net Framework

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

There are applications written in java. Some are stand alone, some are integrated into the browser, yet others are integrated into hardware.

Examples would be a stand alone program you download that maybe looks at windows firewall logs. There was one in XP that did that. Another would be a web page that uses java for certain features. I have a NAS box that can use java to do OS related tasks, so I have it installed for that. Another example would be a server that has a remote port for remote admin purposes. There is often java applets that gives you greater flexibility.

I would not install java if it weren't for these types of things, of which I use a few. My kids all play a few games that require java, so that could be another reason why it is needed, even if it is not wanted.

Sul.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I disabled mine with Win Patrol, or at least the updates.
    Evidently it comes with default junk in a new computer as I do not remember ever installing it.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

For years I have always installed it, just like Flash Player, sooner or later, you will run across something that requires JAVA

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Is this script?
    Jerry

7. moontan

java and javascripts are two totally different things.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Time to Give Java the Boot? by Andrew Brandt.​

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. Even though I read the comments I still don't know what the consequences of uninstalling Java would be. Being an average user, I have no idea what it does on my computer that uninstalling it would cause a problem.o_O

What if I just disable (which I have done) the updater and not update it?

Thanks, again,
    Jerry

10. moontan

if you uninstall Java and you try to run a program that needs it it will let you know.

Java is as easy to install as to get rid of.

personally, i vote for "get rid of". ;)

you could also try to disable it in your browser but personally, i don't want it on my machine.
    at all.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'd jump straight to the point: Do yourself a favor and uninstall it.

12. swami

swami Registered Member

Don't disable the updater. Old versions could have even more holes.
    Disable Java plugins in all your browsers, if you don't want to uninstall it.
    As said, it's easy to reinstall if needed.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Here is how the Sun set (pun intended) on Java in my house...
    Upon reading about the most recent exploits, I decided to disabled Java on my machines until everything got fixed by Oracle.
    Disabling Java in Chrome (my default browser) was a snap. But I also wanted it disabled in IE (my backup browser), and that never did work for me, despite trying all sorts of methods.. some simple, some registry tweaks. This was perplexing and discouraging.
    Then along came the Oracle fix. All right! Good to go, right?
    Wrong.
    There was still a problem, even after the fix.
    No more fooling around. Time to uninstall.
    I was curious what might "stop working" when I uninstalled, but I was encouraged by the fact that a newer computer I'd recently obtained from a friend did not have Java and it still did everything I wanted it to.
    So off came Java from every computer in the house.
    No more fixes, no more disabling, no more tweaking, no more upgrading, no more exploits.
    I haven't noticed any drawbacks with Java being gone.
    Net result? One less attack vector to be concerned about. ;)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks, All.
    I am going to uninstall it, and see what happens. If I need it I can always install it. In the meantime there won't be any penetrations of malware through it.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I used to just mindlessly put this on my computer after a format, along with .NET Framework, and other things. Just assuming that I'd need it eventually, or that it was doing something useful. Once I realize neither were the case I stopped putting them on my box. Not only are they both bloat, but bloat laden with vulnerabilities.

My approach is to only install things I know I need. If a situation ever arises where I find out I need something (i.e. Java), then, and only then will I install it. As opposed to just throwing everything under the sun on my box assuming I may one day need it.

16. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

The simple answer is that you probably don't need it - and will find out quickly if you do.

There will be no negative consequences other than a program complaining that it can't find Java, or an annoying web applet not loading.

As Page42 mentioned, it can't be disabled from within Internet Explorer, and exploits can continue to run with that browser unless it's disabled system wide or removed completely.

I've not had Java for a long time, and haven't missed it. It's the main exploit vector on PCs other than people's lack of common sense.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Wow. I did not know that (main exploit vector on PCs).
    Makes me doubly glad that I pulled the plug on Java.

18. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

It all depends on what you call a vector. In terms of something running without your permission due to a successful exploit, then it has topped all the statistics for years - e.g. stats pulled from exploit C&C servers themselves. Well ahead of browser, PDF, Flash, etc...

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have not had Java installed on my machines for probably almost 2 years now. I do not miss it in the least nor have I needed it at all.

21. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

^ THIS

I haven't had a problem running JAVA, and like berryracer said, at some point you're likely to run into a situation where you pretty much HAVE to have it.

But that's where having good antivirus and firewall, etc., protection comes into play. Since Java is a popular program, it is targeted by malware authors and apparently isn't extremely difficult to exploit. But thankfully security software vendors as well as JAVA are on top of it and a fix is usually issued extremely quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.