Opera Browser: Tweaks & Settings Guide

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I wrote up a Tweaks & Settings guide for Opera Browser

These are the settings I use when I use Opera, I figured I would post in case some of you might find it useful.

Disable DOM/Persistent Storage:
    Type "opera:config" in the URL bar, then go to Persistent Storage, set "Domain Quota For localStorage" to "0" and set "Domain Quota Exceeded Handling For localStorage" to "0", save and restart browser to commit changes.

Disable Form History:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Forms - uncheck/disable "Enable Password Manager"

Disable search suggestions:
    Opera menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Search - uncheck/disable "Enable search suggestions in the address field", click ok to commit change

Disable Smooth scrolling:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Browsing - uncheck/disable "Smooth scrolling"

Enable Full Address fields:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Browsing - check/enable "Show full web address in address field"

JavaScript Options:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Content, JavaScript Options - "Allow changing of status field" and "Allow scripts to detect context menu events" should be the only ones check marked/enabled, all other fields should be unchecked/disabled.

Enable Plug-ins On-Demand (Click to Play):
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Content - check mark/enable "Enable plug-ins only on demand"

Disable visited addresses and autocompletion:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, History - select "0" from the drop down menu, uncheck/disable "Remember content on visited pages"

Empty History on exit:
    Opera menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, History - check/enable "Empty on exit" under disk cache

Change cache page updating:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, History - select "Every 24 Hours" next to the Check documents option

Cookie Control:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Cookies - enable "Accept cookies only from the site I visit", check mark/enable "Delete new cookies when exiting Opera" and "Ask me before accepting cookies"

Enable Do Not Track:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Prefernces, Advanced, Security - check/enable "Ask websites not to track me"

Disable server name completion:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Network, Click "Server Name Completion" button, uncheck/disable "Look for local network machine" and "Try name completion, using", hit ok to commit change.

Disable Referrer:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Network - uncheck/disable "Send referrer information"

Disable Geolocation:
    Opera Menu, Settings, Preferences, Advanced, Network - uncheck/disable "Enable geolocation"

I also posted it here http://www.pc-babble.com/638/opera-browser-my-tweak-settings-guide/

Feel free to share any tweaks and settings you may use, as others might find your guide useful as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Tyrizian

Extensions I use:

VirusTotal Opera Extension
    WOT (Web Of Trust)
    Ghostery

I tried NoAds Advanced, but I experienced a slow down while browsing, so that is a no go for me.

Any other extensions you recommend?

3. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

i use almost same tricks and I only use one extension LASTPASS, a must have expecialy when opera password manager is disabled

is good using the fanboy script as ADBlock, it does not use resources and is great
    http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

F12 - Block all pop-ups.

5. Tyrizian

Interesting, I'll have to try that out...Thanks:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.