Eset renewal very overpriced

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by onair, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onair

onair Registered Member

Just received my renewal notification today for 1pc on Smart Security ver 5.

Really think at £27.94 it is very overpriced here in the UK. And actually think I won't bother renewing this time even after being a loyal customer for years.

There really should be more enticing offers for current users as at present to get them to renew. Maybe below £20 I would expect to pay but this no thanks.

Perhaps its now time for a change for me, I now have 2 weeks to look elsewhere.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not sure about in the uk but here in the usa its far cheaper to buy a retail box which is what i do. why not see if you can get retail boxes there?

3. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Amazon UK is no cheaper than what OP said!!

4. alant56

alant56 Registered Member

Hi onair

To be fair, ESET Renewal prices are subtantially lower than the "new" prices and have not been increased for 5/6 years by my recollection. Unfortunately, other vendors have been offering huge discounts in a tough and competitive market to win business over the last couple of years but in most cases we are told the subsequent renewal cost is higher than the initial discounted price with those same vendors. We can only advise if you do change that you choose carefully and take into account performance and detection rates.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

AFAIK. Some (all of them?) of the local distributors can set the prices them self so they may vary between countries.

6. alant56

alant56 Registered Member

To a certain extent - there is a kind of centralised price list but obviously this is affected by exchange rates, local economies etc etc. Yes, some distributors set different levels of discount in different countries. However, if for instance you buy a license in Hong Kong, then your support will be with the Hong Kong distributor.

7. zfactor

see if you can find older boxed v4 versions the code is still good for v5 and v6

8. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Amazon do sometime have offers on eset , i purchased a 3pc v5 ess licence(retail box) for only £12.00 back in April this year
    here is a cheap offer(download version) so you only need activation code http://www.teezsoft.com/eset-smart-security-4-2-pc-2-year-p-644.html the price is quite good for a 2 yr licence , i have never purchased anything from this supplier so i know as much as the web page tells me

9. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Teezsoft gets very poor ratings all round from Web of Trust users, and I think it is version 4 they are selling!!

10. tommy456

As i said i have no knowledge of the supplier, but regardless of the version offered it's a reasonable price for 2yrs and protection for upto 3 pc's
    Also the version does not matter,as v4 & v5 retail versions will still be valid for v6 when that gets released,
    7dayshop used to sell eset v4 products at a cheap price ,but they have never sold eset v5 for some reason or other , maybe they can't buy it cheap enough

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I ran NOD 2 for several years awhile back but like you found that the retail price/renewal price here in the UK was not cost effective compared to rival vendors.

I now use either an AV given away free by my Bank (Kaspersky) or use one which can be obtained for relative peanuts on Ebay/Amazon (in a retail box for under £5-e.g Bullguard IS). Further there are now very competent free AV versions also available now (KingSoft, Panda, Avast etc).

I would imagine that Eset does very well in the Enterprise market and therefore they can afford to keep their retail prices high compared to other vendors.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It costs me $60 to renew my 3 user ESS license. I renewed Norton for $25 and Kaspersky for $20. I don't intend to renew all 3 forever. Guess which one will get cut first...

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Dang Jack that is not bad. Cost me more than that to re-up my ESS for two 3 user license for two years. I assume your price was for a one year renewal?

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It was a one year. I refuse to buy more than one year at a time of anything.

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Ok that makes more sense then. Sorry, see I had a typo in my last post. It was a three user license for two years.

Yeah, I think I am going to start doing that myself. I usually grab two to three year deals just so I don't have to think about it for awhile. But, my mindset has changed.

Thanks.

16. onair

onair Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and links guys.

I really do like using eset and it is a good product. Just am disappointed there are no better offers/codes directly from eset for loyal users in these tough times. Other software operators have good offers.

If was to ignore and not renew would it still work but just not update ?

I refuse to pay the current renewal price, really can see at times why people turn to torrent sites.

17. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

18. Alloneword

Alloneword Registered Member

I have to agree the cost does seem high, just been hit with my renewal warning and given todays world i'll look at other options I do have Norton, Mcafee (spelling) and Kaspersky to hand as freebies if i want them but not a lover of the first 2 and never used the last one before, I'll hunt around for a decent deal I paid £22 for a year and 3 PC, will not pay over £25 that's for sure last time was at amazon, so will check them out first.
    If i have to move i will but it's a pain in the rear that for sure.

All1

19. tommy456

20. zfactor

i generally pay 20$ for 3pc's for 1 year just picked up three more on newegg they just had them for 19.99 for the 1year 3pc retail boxes. i NEVER renew its not worth it when you can buy retail boxed for so much less.

21. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

the question is why is boxed versions cheaper than digital, it has transportation and packaging costs. So excessive profit margins on digital purchases?

22. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

What happens if you buy a boxed version with its own 'new' user and p/w and you have an existing version. Will the new log in codes overwrite the oldo_O

23. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello bwb1

You have to Activate your boxed version of Eset first, to receive a password and username. Then you can insert the new password/username in yours existing version,( regardless of whatever password or username you have used before). Just in case if you will need it: How do I activate and download my ESET security product?
    Cheers, Janus...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.