High disk activity in ESET Mail Security + Exchange 2010

Discussion in 'Other ESET Business Products' started by kevinkeane, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinkeane

kevinkeane Registered Member

Hi,

I set up a new SBS 2011 Standard server for a customer. As soon as I installed Eset Mail Security (version 4.3.10025.0), disk utilization went very high, and the whole server felt sluggish. Users started complaining about Outlook Web Access regularly timing out. This is in an office with extremely light load, only three users. When I turn off Eset Mail Security (turn off VSAPI 2.6 and Transport Agent), the problem goes away.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried disabling background scanning? Do you have the number of scan threads set to Number_of _physical_CPUs*2 + 1 ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. kevinkeane

kevinkeane Registered Member

Thank you, Marcos, for those pointers.

The disk activity gets high merely when I check "Server Protection|Microsoft Exchange Server|Start VSAPI 2.6 automatically" even when "Server Protection|Antivirus and Antispyware|Microsoft Exchange Server|VSAPI 2.6|Enable Antivirus and Antispyware Protection" is left unchecked - and thus the two settings you mention are still greyed out.

By the way, meanwhile I found that the transport agent is unrelated and does not increase disk activity. So it is down to simply enabling VSAPI 2.6

Update: never mind. Just for kicks, I tried enabling VSAPI 2.6 and VSAPI 2.6 AV scanning, and then disabled background scanning. Voila - you were right. Not sure why a setting would affect performance while it is still greyed out, but it did.

Thanks for your help!

4. sys_smp

sys_smp Registered Member

kevinkeane: I have exactly the same issue. I am going to try to "...enabling VSAPI 2.6 and VSAPI 2.6 AV scanning, and then disabled background scanning...". I have only had the software installed for a few weeks and Outlook is constantly tanking, trying to establish connection to Exchange. I'll let you know! And THANK YOU for adding an update. They can be priceless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.