Homegroup alternatives.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive been wanting for a while to use my upstairs PC ,in conjunction with my laptop which is usually downstairs for backup purposes.I tried to make a homegroup ,and have had nothing but problems.On both the pc and laptop , i had 1068 and 1079 errors and cant start 2 of the "peer" services( which is needed for homegroup apparently) like other folks here in this thread.The solutions given in the thread dont work for me.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/932e85c6-b141-4bc5-8be7-daa7e0ff714b
    Ive now given up trying to get this homegroup thing working.Is there any other (easy for a novice) software/program that i can use to basically access my upstairs desktop pc from my laptop which is downstairs?

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

RemoteVNC or Logmein

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for those recommendations.As i mentioned in first post im a novice at these sort of things ,but tried both programs you mentioned,but had a little difficulty setting up.Googling similar type programes i tried realvnc which i actually got to work but then noticed the hefty price if i wanted to keep using it after 15 days (the free doesnt file share).Googling a bit more and trying a few others i finally found one that i can actually get to work and that is simple enough for an amateur like me.Its called tightvnc and seems to work just fine,and the interface for file sharing is nice and simple too.Thanks again for putting me on to these sorts of programs :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.