startup scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rollers, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi have just fitted an SSD drive for my main boot drive and have been advised to make several changes to minimise the disk read/write. One of those is to disable startup scan on my anti virus. I am running the lasest NOD AV only and wonder if someone could help me by describing how to disable this?
    Thanks

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Disabling startup scans will remove an important security protection layer. Unless you plan to run on-demand scans several times a day, I wouldn't recommend doing so.

4. rollers

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I am not overly knowledable with SSD drives, so I am guessing that the startup scan will not be doing too much in the way of read/write and won't affect my drive adversly? I shall heed your advice and leave it switched on.
    Thanks

5. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

SSDs are not sensitive about reads ( which a typicall scan does) but for writes (which a scan never should do except in case of an infection). So having scan enabled at startup should not raise an issue with wearing out your SSD.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

As Marcos mentioned, it is not safe practice to disable your start-up scan in any way.

This link https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=4668013 should provide a search for "startup scan" on the ESET board but not child boards.

NB: You must be logged in the the Forum for the link to work.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  7. rollers

Thanks for all of your replies guys. I have heeded your advice and left the start up scans active.

Regards Rollers

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Your most welcome. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with in regards to this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.