Is Prevx is being shutdown?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by MrGump, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

2. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I would think eventually,but not anytime soon.That is a very old article at this point.I would not worry.I'm sure Joe might have more to add.Prevx isn't going anywhere

3. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

okay good, Prevx isn't going anywhere, but will I still receive the same product I thought I was paying for?

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe Prevx is still available - is that what you're asking? If the newer Webroot Secure Anywhere is offered as a replacement/upgrade to Prevx would you not want it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I don't know? Do I want it? What is it anyway? Does it come with extra features I don't want and will take up more CPU cycles? I like Prevx because it's a super tiny program and install very fast. I like that it's pretty simple to. As Kevin Nealon always says "change only brings problems"

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The short answer is Yes you want it :) Webroot Secure Anywhere (WSA) is really the next generation of Prevx IMHO. It's still very light and primarily cloud based. When I switched from Norton Internet Security to WSA it shaved 20 seconds from the startup time (according to Soluto, my startup manager). I use WSA Essentials, which is in the middle of the three versions in terms of features. It's roughly equivalent to Prevx plus SafeOnline.

I'm sure you will get a more definitive reply from "PrevxHelp"

7. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you for that excellent answer :)

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Webroot SecureAnywhere is actually smaller and lighter and installs faster than Prevx :) It started as the successor to Prevx 3.0 and has turned into a new, very strong product. If you'd like to try it out, you can download the WSA trial version, and, since you just purchased a new Prevx 3.0 license, if you'd like me to convert it to WSA, I can do so without a problem.

Thanks!

9. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you very much, very fair of you :)

10. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

WSA certainly offers many more functions and is way more customizable which I really like. The on demand sandbox feature looks pretty easy to work with and was a nice surprise. I really like being able to instruct WSA to not report to Windows Action Center. I see you also added the right click function in the explorer menu and it's not to high up on the list, pretty neat that it's right below Avira and Malwarebytes. Prevx was always much higher on the list and away from the others. It is also lower on resource as you did indeed say it would be.

The only minor thing I did notice is that if I perform a scan by right clicking the taskbar icon, the scan window pops up in the center of my screen. Using Prevx it always scanned in a little window just above the task bar icon. Not a big deal though :)

If WSA offers the same protection that Prevx does then I would vertainly like to take advantage of your offer. :D

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Try it. It's worth the time.

"change only brings problems" is pure negativity.
    Change gives us a chance to learn more.

12. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I am trying out the Webroot Essentials version of your software and I do not need the firewall or the identity guard stuff. The problem is that when I disable both I receive a warning, over the status bar icon, that will not go away. I do not like this. I would be happy to stay with the Essentials package if I can disable those features and not have the program tell me there is a problem.

If this cant be done I would then just prefer to use your entry level Webroot Antivirus which does not have a firewall or identity guard.

and ya, you're probably right, Hugger

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You should just go with WSA Antivirus then. It does not come with the Firewall or identity guard protection. That way you don't have to be bothered with disabling the two. WSA Antivirus is what I use since I already have a Firewall, and Identity Protection with my other security applications. I use WSA with NOD 32 to double check any files that are entering my systems.

14. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thanks!

15. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Webroot SecureAnywhere is like Prevx 4 with Webroot's name on it. I made a joke picture once that renamed everything to Joeroot. :D

16. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I'm going to disagree with the other reply. :)

With the firewall, there's absolutely no reason to turn it off. It co-exists with any other firewall perfectly well, since it acts as an outbound firewall specifically, and so it uses the same cloud information as the main program to add a layer of protection. Something that is undetected and acts nothing like an infection so it can't be caught by heuristics can still be caught if it engages in bad network behavior.

The ID Shield stuff is a mixed bag. I've seen people who are happy with the firewall "turn off" the ID shield stuff by just turning everything (including the browsers) to allow. Personally, I think the firewall portion's added protection is worth the effort to do this.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Identity shield is very powerful (and better than most out there) and a good reason for a purchase regardless of the rest of the features.. Just a huge waste if you go with lower alternatives.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. sturgess

sturgess Registered Member

Prevx 3.0 coupled with KIS,NIS or the latest leader of the pack BitDefender would surely be the best option if you happen to have already purchased 5 licences of Prevx 3.0 (like me) and still have 89 days remaining ? I also have licences for NIS, KIS and BitDefender which at this moment in time are probably offering better protection than this forums favourite bit of software ?
    Just been made aware that I have reached the status of "Regular Poster" do I get a card ?

19. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I received my prevx 3 renewal email two days ago and there was no mention about having to change the software.

20. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

You don't have to change anything. We will eventually be notifying users to upgrade but the full path isn't finished yet.

21. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I did something that some folk may disagree. I had several months left on a Online Armor Premium license, but uninstalled it for the firewall native to XP Pro. Not knocking Online Armor, it's one of the best firewalls. But I figure that Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete more than compensates, as stated it adds outbound protection.

The firewall native to XP offers good inbound protection, especially you don't give exceptions. Though O A gave good protection, what I have now, I believe, gives better, and my system is livelier. She's perky and hot.

WSA any flavor is an upgrade from Prevx and its lessens the load on your system, my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.