Avira posting ads to paid customers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WYBaugh, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Starting Friday I and many others have been receiving pop-up ads in the paid for Avira products. It was reported on their support forums Friday and is still continuing today.

I am uninstalling and moving on to another product. I pay for a product to not be nagged.

Just a warning to others. I may be over-reacting but I'm done with Avira and want to warn others concerning this.

Bill

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've only received one so far directly related to Avira. Check the communication settings in your profile when you get the slide up ad.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

I began posting in that post early on Saturday.

On Friday I turned off all of the web communications, etc and still receive the ads.

5. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! I wanted to renew my subscription to Avira I.S.2012 roughly a couple of months ago and Avira sent me Robo-mailings offering me price points twenty percent higher than my initial pricing. And I also received these follow up Robo-mailings with the aforementioned un-competitive pricing. Avira's marketing people are complete jokers. Kiss them good bye and move on. Sincerely...Securon

6. nhsjdgbjdb ymail

nhsjdgbjdb ymail Registered Member

You all are lucky! Our computer company at our shop we used to retail AVIRA for over an year but we dumped them recently because of the AVIRA "funny" policies about renewal from Consumer dept. Our clients were getting emails with strange offers and AVIRA were trying to steal our clients. People were not please and we had to dump them. Public data is that for 2010 they had 50 million euro revenue, I don't know what they are trying to achieve with these bad practises. Last year they had so many "campaigns", then the Ask toolbar, now ads in paying customers, stranger emails to customers... No, I am not overreacting, you can't understand unless you see it in real life.

7. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Where did it go wrong Avira ? :doubt:

I remember when it was the top ( light , effective , good free alternative) , nowdays ... :thumbd:

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Avira was the only other AV I used other than Eset over the last 10 years. The only way they are going to get the message is if their long time customers all dump them. Lets keep this thread going, and maybe they will get the message. Let's work together on this one. Their practices are not acceptable in the professional world of cyber security. I never install adware on any of my machines. Why the hell would I want to pay for an application meant to protect my data install possible threats / nagware along with it. How can they be taken seriously anymore in the professional World of IT security. Its such a shame since they have been such a great company up until the past year. Why would they want to throw all those years of hard work away.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. The Hammer

The marketing department is like some others I've encountered; not a Mensa member in the group to be sure. Still I've seen deals out there. Forgot to mention I haven't seen another ad.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed i used to love avira. avast did this for a short time when they revamped it with the avast service adds in the gui and after many members said something on the forums they added a way to turn off the add and facebook twitter stuff etc.. it upset me as a avast paid user and i have 12 lic's to it, BUT they did something about it for their customers and whenever i install it i can turn that JUNK off. i dont like it being there but i know i can turn it off. with avira even with it supposedly turned off people are still seeing it. i never went back after seeing have much heavier avira got and how it was having issues etc and they never seemed to care not did they do anything about any of it. and with each release it just seemed to get worse imo. one reason i use eset is the LACK off any of this junk. they have a very simple straight forward gui without any junk in it. i miss the avira of old and wish they would take note and go back to what we all loved about avira in the past

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have a premium version and 2 free versions. So far on the premium I have not received anything at all, I wasn't even aware of this 'My communication settings', and when I checked them, they were all 'on'. With the free versions I get occasionally a nag screen asking if I want to upgrade.

I believe the people who were affected should complain, but for God sake it could be a bug, a little bit of patience and courtesy could go a long way.

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The premium hasnt been the same and started going down hill when the blue umbrella turned red :rolleyes:

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually I am starting to really take a liking to it, again. It appears my HTTP slow scanning issues have been fixed. I really had not used 2012 much but it is very light. I still love Aviras GUI, most have just become to cumbersome to wade through.

So for now, Avira is doing well.:thumb:

14. The Hammer

The HTTP thing is not yet solved. It will be back as the issue seems to be intermittant.

15. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

The adds are horendous going back to AVG...pops ups for some comp!!!!

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I have not seen any ads, and loving the heck out of my Avira again.:D

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Well I see I've missed something Avira has moved up in detection rates and Now uses pop-ups charming, it is a good thing that I have switched to Avast. I was going to download the latest version of Avira as a backup, but if the latest version has a bug I'll just wait till it is fixed to see if I want to renew my subscription or stay with Avast.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Some of you guys want to have a free lunch and being able to choose the menu. I certainly prefer a pop up or nag screen and have arguably one of the best products in terms of detection (Avira has always been tops in detection) with a reasonable number of false positives.

The attitude I can never understand is, how some free users want to dictate terms and conditions to a company who is operated to make a profit as a bottom line. You don't like it, choose another company or buy the premium version it is really very simple.

19. markcc

markcc Registered Member

My understanding is the ads are in the paid version. Am I wrong? If you pay for the product, you should not have the ads.

20. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Blue umbrella Huh, the red umbrella has always reminded me wwz.travelers.com auto/house insurance company

Attached Files:

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have Avira Premium. No ads.

22. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I also have Avira Premium and no ads either, runs very well on windows 7 x64 and no issues to report with everything on max. :thumb:

23. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I used to swear by Avira Antivir in the past, low system resources, excellent detection rates, low false positives! just perfect

now i installed it and it asked me to install the ask toolbar which i declined (WTF, an antivirus telling u to install a virus) then I was bombarded by ads and pop ups everywhere regarding upgrading and other crap!

Uninstalled it right away and installed Avast! antivirus free v 7 (using it for the first time now)

24. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Avira Premium has a toolbar bundled? Mind you, this thread is about paid version of Avira, not free, so you might be a tad of topic here. :)

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That's right, and as far as this thread has evinced, some people got ads with the premium and some (including me) never did, which means there must be a bug of sorts otherwise everyone would be affected.

Obviously some other members take the opportunity to vent their anger at the free version which installs a toolbar only if you want to have the webguard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.