Uploading files with TOR

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by notthatguy, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notthatguy

notthatguy Registered Member

Do you still remain anonymous if you upload something through the TOR browser same as if you download? Like if I attach something to an email from my computer, or upload a document on put-file do I lose my anonymity?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

If you have to login (with a password) to the destination node to upload, then your username and password are vulnerable to capture by whomever is running the Exit node of Tor - i.e. are they trustworthy or not?

If you use TAILS (it has an integrated mail with Tor), then in your example, via attaching something from your computer to your mail, then it too would be anonymous - but, not for any uploads that require a login and password to a destination node account (too risky IMHO).

-- Tom

3. notthatguy

Ya I get that login information can be intercepted through TOR.

But if you upload a file even directly to a website directly from your desktop, does it destroy the anonymity? or is the upload directly put through TOR?

I just don't understand if uploads are forced to go through the TOR network.

4. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by uploading a file "directly from your desktop". If you mean a standard HTML form (via your web browser) which enables you to browse for a local file and submit/upload it, then the upload will be tunneled through Tor in the same way that downloads are. On the other hand, a Flash- or Java-based uploader could potentially bypass your proxy settings and break your anonymity (unless you're forcing those plugins through a SOCKS tunnel or similar). When in doubt, you should always choose the "basic" or HTML-based upload option whenever possible.

5. notthatguy

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you very much Casper! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.