Anticmos infection

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ericstrojan, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericstrojan

ericstrojan Registered Member

Re: TDS: execution status, ms agent, shutdown questions

hey to all...i have the anticmos on my ME computer... i have mcafee prof 7 disk.. the disk drive does not come up in windows.. so i boot with it, the emergency part of the disk.. the message .. i cant read or clean boot sector and partition sector.. i ve found instructions *puppy* on what to type in at the A: prompt to scan those areas... i cant get to the A:.. i used a ME boot.exe disk .. which someone told me would ge me to the A: it say no NTFS found... what does this mean... or how do i get to the
    A:... i know this is the old Anticmos virus..because it was on an old disk... i had the problem on an old computer and it fixed easy with the anti virus...does anyone have any suggestions.. thanks eric... *puppy*

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Re: TDS: execution status, ms agent, shutdown questions

Hi Eric, how about trying an online scanner like http://housecall.antivirus.com or other places? That must be able to locate and clean it in no time!
    While scanning, make sure your other installed scanner is closed.
    Do you have TDS installed as well (since you post in the TDS forum)?

NTFS is not on ME systems, can be how drives on NT/2000/XP systems are formatted, so if you have a proper ME bootdisk it would just be a message not to worry about.

BTW: does it help yopu to go to an older system restore point from before the possible infection?

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  3. ericstrojan

ericstrojan Registered Member

anticmos

ok...sorry.. i wrote down the wrong info... the info that came up when i turned on the puter with the boot disk was ntldr is missing.. that is what i dont understand... or how to get past it... if i could get to the A: prompt i think i could fix it... or if i could get an old virus protector that is on a floppy... im not sure what tds is... can you explain that to... or anyone... i read some of the other threads and maybe figure out what tds is... but the ntldr is most important... thanks again for your time ..eric... :rolleyes: oh yeah..for some reason...i have had trouble getting on line with my computer since i bought it... im not sure if its the modem or setups in the ME .. but microsoft, hewlitt packer, aol, att internet, all tried to get me on line and all passed the buck off to the other...oh yeah .. the local phone company too... i spent hours back and forth. the internet service said it was a problem with that edition of microsoft ME... and on and on...thanks

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

no wonder anticmos signatures still exists in AV updates. first i'll advice you not to type in a hurry because i could hardly understand what you were saying. anyway its a buggy virus which infects MBR and bootsector so you have every reason to be afraid. that file NTLDR is NT Loader not found in ME. get a new rescue disk from a CLEAN Windows ME computer. now do these things.

1. shut down your PC and wait for 1-2 minutes. now boot from that disk and check if you can access EVERY drive on your PC. this is to make sure that you are not using any kinds of disk compression.

2. if you can access all drives, then run FDISK /MBR and reboot the computer. run an updated AV and scan the whole system.

if you can't access a drive while booting from a rescue disk call for tech support and forget about that FDISK /MBR. you'll lose your data if you use that command.

oh by the TDS is Trojan Defense Suite from DiamondCS and i never had connection problems with ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.