best vpn ? any recommendations?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by happyyarou666, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

so ive heard bout vpntunnel.se being pretty boss any suggestions? :cool:

and the usual should be there :

no logging , no slowdowns ,hardly any disconnects if at all , anonymous paying ,nice encryption, offshore servers, and not 2000 dollars a month :cautious: ..;)

2. guest

guest Guest

3. happyyarou666

ummm yeah not quite what i was looking for seems like they get paid to do certain "recommendations" ,good for torrent news etc but not sure bout the rest , and most if not all of those vpns suck from what ive heard

4. guest

guest Guest

where does it say they get paid for recommendations? none of links have referrals. most of those vpn are what are going to show up when you are looking anyway.

Just make sure not to use a US VPN provider as they have to log to extent.

5. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Sorry, but that's not true. Most providers voluntarily keep logs to combat abuse or to avoid legal troubles, but logging is not mandatory in the U.S. However, if the H.R. 1981 bill passes, then U.S.-based service providers would be required to store connection logs for 18 months. Even if so, savvy companies will likely find legal loopholes in order to exempt themselves... so it'll just be business as usual. ;)

OP: We already have a comprehensive thread about VPN providers here: Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?. Also, that Torrentfreak article is actually quite useful and relevant. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

6. happyyarou666

ok thanks for the confimation i guess ill give it a shot afterall , and ill check out that link thanks

update: sorry but i cant take that torrentfreak article for serious no matter how hard i try after it recommending btguard and swissvpn and the like ,seriously? that article mustve been written by a 12 year old no offense

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

What don't you like about BTGuard?

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use Xerobank and CryptoHippie. A lot of people here are upset with Xerobank for poor customer service. I personally have not needed any and like the service.

Cryptohippie, however, has excellent customer service. And they are fast. Both of these services are multihop services. Cryptohippie has a U.S. reseller but they are not a U.S. company. They do have a 25G limit per month but I have gone far beyond that many times in the past and my service was never interrupted. I shot them an email about a year or so ago and asked if they accdept cash and he said yes. You can send them cash and an email address and they send you your login info. They even set up a paypal billing for me once. They guy that I spoke to has always been very friendly and prompt with replies.

A quick google search led me to this interview with Paul Rosenberg. I just downloaded it and have it playing now.

http://keepyourassets.net/tag/cryptohippie/

~All Tinyurl links removed. Use actual links please and no links to direct downloads or any copyrighted material.~

An email service comes with it too but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Imagine that, and both owned, at least a couple of years ago, by the same company: Roque Holdings. They have since scrubbed the Internet of the trails and crumbs that led to their ownership, but several people got screenshots of the information and they're in threads on this site.

The only problem with Xerobank is the customer service? Anyone considering them should read the old threads where Steve promised this and that and that and this and it was all just around the corner. None of that stuff he talked of was ever available. Then, Steve disappeared. He has been back a few times but his relationship with Xerobank is usually not discussed. In other words: in most reasonable minds they have been thoroughly discredited.

Next thing you know, Caspian will tell us about Rayservers. In fact, I think he already has. All these references just mere coincidence, mind you. (cough)

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I thought you read this post;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285780

Lots of good VPNs and I'll get on that Whitelist...

11. caspian

I don't believe that XB and Cryptohippie are the same company. In fact I am quite certain that they are not. I think you sound like a kook. But it doesn't matter to me what you think, or if you think the moon landing is fake or whatever. But I would appreciate it if you would just keep your loony babble to yourself and stop attacking me. I have never been rude or disrespectful to you. So whatever psychological problems you are having, take it out on someone else and leave me out of it.

12. CasperFace

No offense to you, but you're basing your assessment on blatantly false assumptions. First of all, the article is NOT a list of recommendations, nor was it ever intended to be. Rather, it was a broad-based survey of VPNs who were simply asked to respond to 2 specific questions:

I think it's pretty clear that TorrentFreak is NOT endorsing any provider here, since all they are doing is listing the various VPN providers' responses to the questions asked. The whole point is for you to use this information as a starting point for further research. Given the methodology, it's inevitable there's going to be some bad ones for you to weed out from the list.

So, all you have to do is just use the process of elimination. I'm assuming you've done your homework on BTGuard since you say they're no good. Fine, scratch that one off the list. As for SwissVPN, it's already listed under the heading of "VPN providers who log, sometimes a lot" so I think it's self-explanatory that one is not a recommendation. :p

Again, you can gain some excellent insights from the aforementioned article, but not all of the answers are going to be handed to you on a silver platter. Even if someone did offer you a definitive list of "best" VPN providers, would you just take their word for it at face value? No, of course not. Knowing what's best for your own privacy/security/anonymity needs is a very personal decision. Others may help guide you in the right direction, but you have to be willing to do your part as well.

13. LockBox

A bit over the top?

Caspian, You are posting in a public forum. What you have written matters. Period. What I wrote in that post has nothing to do with conspiracies. Nothing in my post indicates I am a "kook". There was no "loony babble" there. Nothing I said shows "psychological problems." Everything I wrote is directly connected to things you have written on this forum. It wasn't anywhere close to being as harsh as what you leveled against me; not to mention I based my words on your own writing here at Wilders. XB and Cryptohippie were, at one time at least, owned by Roque Holdings. That's a fact and no "conspiracy." Your recommending the two together is just odd considering that fact.

I'm still a tad stunned that you would attack me in such personal terms.

14. caspian

I do not share your belief that CH and XB are the same service anymore than I believe that Kyle, Steve, and the guy that owns CH are the same person. But you evidently do. And that's fine. But I do not appreciate your sarcastic remarks toward me.

What's this suppose to mean?

So now you think that I am the owner of Rayservers, XB, and CH? What's with the smart remarks and insinuations?

As far as me telling you "all about Rayservers"? What is it that you think that I have told you about Rayservers?

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok kiddies let's please chill for the respect of the forum and the other members that want to learn something.

Let's please stop beating this XB issue...

I'm getting dizzy from all this, LOL... o_O

beating.jpg

THANKS

16. happyyarou666

no comment :cautious:

p.s: and ill be looking forward to that whitelist dasfox thanks bro , as casperface said one shouldnt just take recommendations at face value but if you use abit of common sense you will know if peoples recommendations are ok or not , my 2 cents

and no offense but the torrentfreak article sux like it or not , recommendations or not but them listing those crappy ass vpns is enough for me to make my opinion on it , thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  17. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

Why don't your just setup your own VPN server?

18. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Then you'd need other users for crowding. And then, you'd need to provide user support. But that would be a pain, so you'd blow it off. And then, they'd bad mouth you on Wilders ;)

19. happyyarou666

20. LockBox

I was adding related information following a post recommending two controversial VPN providers. The personal attack on me was way over the top. Not that I have to explain any of this to you, DasFox. I'm 52 years old and am not a "kiddie." I've read more than a few tussles between you and others to know that "respect for the forum" has nothing to do with sometimes trying to get a point across and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

21. LockBox

Hmmm. Sounds familiar. ;)

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Funny, but how about a serious answer as well? Why do people struggle with these issues of logs, server locations, payment methods, customer service, on & on, when they could setup their own VPN, not log anything, and not pay or require support from anyone else? If security is that important to you why not just do it yourself and eliminate all the risks associated with having to trust other people?

23. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Are talking about finding a COLO somewhere and setting up a server, or just running an Open VPN Server from your house? If it's the former, finding a server farm in a friendly (to us) foreign country would seem to be a huge PITA. And that's just step 1 of many. If it's the latter, the traffic is in the clear once it enters the net, and can be traced back to your house. No logs is all well and good, but who needs that headache? And what do you do when your home? I'm probably misunderstanding your post, so I apologize in advance, but can you explain exactly what you men, for us lunkheads? :D

PD

24. CasperFace

This type of response isn't helpful at all. :mad: I did a quick web search, and all I could find was an occasional complaint about speed/customer service issues (mostly dating back to 2010 or so, no big deal). Other than the fact that they only appear to have servers in Canada, nothing else really jumps out at me as to why this company would automatically be considered "crappy". Therefore if you have any useful, relevant information specifically as to why BTGuard should be avoided, please enlighten us.

Thanks.

25. caspian

Wouldn't there be a lot of other stuff to consider too, like encryption and security and having servers in a trusted space etc?... I would think that it would be pretty complicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.