Bufferzone pro free

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by the_sly_dog, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

2. kakaka

kakaka Registered Member

Thanks for info. 4.01 Now.

3. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

BufferZone Pro has been free since the beginning of 2011.

4. operamail

operamail Registered Member

It's free since the Christmas of 2010.:rolleyes:

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I downloaded and installed it yesterday. Other than a very noticeable slow-down in loading webpages I really like BZ Pro. Unlike most other light virtualizing apps, BZ Pro's buffer-zone can be unloaded without having to reboot!!! I also like the feature that allows you to take a backup snapshot of everything in the buffer-zone which can be restored at a later time.

I believe BZ Pro has more (useful) user-options than typically found in such apps. A very nice user-manual is available as well as a user-forum. I think this program has lots of promise (especially now that it's freeware)!

Cruise

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. waters

waters Registered Member

The slow-down in loading webpages is the reason i dont use it.I had no problem with previous versions

7. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

It seems any software with HIPS or firewall drivers will be incompatible with bufferzone? I am using bufferzone pro now but it seems I can not use programs like comodo, Rising antivirus, Unthrust etc.. and any antivirus with hips and firewalls. I only found the only ones that do work are emsisoft, AVAST.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yep using it now :thumb:

But I have one request of others to test.

Load IE and then load CCleaner at the same time. When you run an "ANALYZE" in ccleaner it says only 2 files are available to clean from IE, datvirtual.Ink

But then if you choose "RUN CLEANER" in Ccleaner, it shows many files from the IE browsing that were cleaned out of the IE folder on C:.

But how is that possible if all the files during an IE browsing session should not be in the normal IE folder, but rather in the BufferZone sandbox?

Anyone explain this?:blink:

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

When you run IE in Buffer Zone, BZ places files on your real system as "untrusted" and it also creates a copy in C/Virtual. This files will run in the virtual zone unless you change their status to trusted.

Bo

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I didn't fully understand what you said Bo, but thanks :D

So my IE browsing is safe and nothing gets written outside of the sandbox, even if ccleaner claims there are files outside the sandbox?

12. bo elam

Some files are written outside of C/Virtual but they are labeled untrusted. Untrusted files can not make changes to your system. You should learn about trusted/untrusted files.

I have never used or tried BZ as I am very, very happy with SBIE. Never had a reason to look elsewhere but as I understand it that's how BZ does things.

Bo

13. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I have used it in the past, and it was working well until I started getting BSOD's. I ended up dumping it for SD. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does SBIE allow you to select folders or drives to keep locked so no other programs can access them?

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Bob, when in the past did you use Bufferzone pro? What version was it? What year?

16. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yes it does. You can restrict any folder and drive that you want. You can limit what is able to run in a folder or if it can access the internet.

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Even the free version?

And if Sandboxie didn't freeze up and crash my W7 when I am running 10+ video windows, then I may still be using it, but that's why I began using BufferZone because it doesn't freeze up or crash on me like Sandboxie does! In fact, NOTHING HAS EVER frozen or crashed my W7 besides Sandboxie.

And I like BZ a lot better anyway:)

18. kjdemuth

Yeah even the free version. The only difference is you can't automatically force programs to start in a sandbox and can't have multiple sandboxes.

19. bo elam

Yes, you can block files and folders from being accessed by programs that are running in the sandbox, even in the free version. Read, File Access > Blocked Access.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessSettings#file

Bo

20. Baedric

I believe it went free shortly after I installed it. It must have been around January or Febuary of 2011 and probably version 3.41 although I don't remember for sure. It could have been an earlier version than 3.41.
    It worked great for a little while then the bsod's began and I ended up uninstalling BZ, which resolved the problem.

21. kjdemuth

I don't believe that its developed much. I received a beta testing for it 6 months ago but haven't heard anything else.

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What programs did you install AFTER you installed BZ?

What OS were you using at the time?

And what exactly did you do just before the bsod appeared?

And I have never gotten a bsod using BZ.

23. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

BZ was awful on my system. Huge slowdowns to the extent that chrome was unusable, mouse scrolling stopped working, several other problems. It's the only security software I've ever tried that had such poor compatibility. I would have turned to their forum for help, but it was a ghost town there. It's a shame because it has some nice features, but it's borderline abandon-ware and the forum has been taken over by spammers.

24. Baedric

I added it to a fresh system with all my normal software already installed on Windows 7. I don't recall exactly what I was doing that long ago right before it happened but as I recall I was unable to boot into windows afterwards and had to restore from an image. Sorry my info is sketchy but it was a while ago.
    I am glad it is going well for you!

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

When did you install it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.